The small linux problem thread

I guess we'd better hang around IRC and solve problems on the fly. IRC is for 1337 haxors anyway

1 Like

I have this small problem with audio in Mint 17.1

My USB speakers (Bose Companion 5) have full volume when the system volume is at 100%, half volume when at 95% and are barely audible at 90%. Anything below that is completely silent. They also only do 2.1 rather than 5.1 in Linux, no problems at all in Win7.

I could get new speakers, of course. Bose told me these just won't work under Linux, so I may have to look at another brand.
Shame really, I really like these.

1 Like

Here's some excellent advice on getting wifi going on Linux

3 Likes

Trying to install arch with multi drives (32 GB space on 64 GB SSD for swap and root and then a separate 750 GB for /home) and either it's that I don't understand how it works or I'm just stupid, but I can't get fstab to recognise the other drive and nothing appears to really happen. I can set up for one drive, but not muliples.

1 Like

I've noticed that Manjaro KDE doesn't like WPA2 Enterprise (what my school uses). I can connect to the router, but when I go to load a webpage or try to run an update I get nothing.

I've read that it's not a problem with Manjaro, it's a KDE issue, but I haven't been able to find a clear fix yet.

1 Like

Plug in both drives, find the UUID of the second drive (sudo blkid), and add an entry to /etc/fstab ("UUID=uuid /home/myotherdrive ext4 defaults 0 1", replace uuid with your uuid, and change ext4 if needed). Should be all good.

2 Likes

I tried that and nothing showed up when I logged in 3: I'll try it again.

I have a dell vostro 1000 and the wireless card doesn't work. I'm trying to get this to run for my grandpa. Any suggestions?

What does "lspci | grep Network" tell you about it? The internet says it should be a Broadcom 4311 driver, which controlls a Dell 1395 wireless card. I know from experience (I use a Broadcom 4312) that their proprietary driver is good. No open source driver exists for the 4312, I don't know about the 4311.

Useful links: this and this

1 Like

I don't even get a callback 3: I can replace the card inside I think.

I'm attempting to switch over to ubuntu gnome 14.04. There seems to be no mouse speed setting? How do I change the mouse point speed? This is all I see:

1 Like

You might have to use xinput, see the top answer here:

but instead of increasing the value, decrease it.

2 Likes

I loaded up Kubuntu 15.04 recently using an AMD 6870. When I change the drivers to proprietary drivers (either -updates or not) I get a black screen on reboot. Removing the packages fixes it and reverts back to the default drivers.
Have I missed something in the config?

Found the problem - it was Kubuntu's sources. I stuck Mint on there and it worked first time. Thanks anyway though.
For the record, I tried the GUI and later the CLI.

1 Like

So this has happened on every distro i've tried, my laptop has 2 speakers and a subwoofer, on any linux distro I only get sound out of the subwoofer and not the speakers

1 Like

Have you checked the ALSA documentation for your laptop. Im sure somebody has some method to getting it working? What laptop do you own?

1 Like

pulse

1 Like

It's a Dell XPS 501X from 2010

1 Like

I'm not sure where to find this information, I didn't even know what ALSA was until I googled it (sorry i'm kinda a newb with linux)

1 Like

Have ye considered not using pulse audio.. Just get a good alsa setup going and use the alsa mixer.. It works better on older systems. Unfortunately it's not for the faint at heart so please look it up I'm sure there are plenty of guides and it's better learned by you and not told... You'll remember it when you must trouble shoot

1 Like