The small linux problem thread

I just noticed this page: Zabbix install from sources
What is the difference between this and using the SRPMs mentioned above? Would this maybe ork better for me?

Is anyone else having issues where you get stuck the activities menu if you open activities in gnome?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=257235
Itā€™s apparently an issue, but not with gnome, rather itā€™s an issue with dash to panel

looking at the github issues page, it has been reported

Looking at the referenced issue

The Dash to Panel devs seemed have the issue fixed in the master version, but it doesnā€™t appear to be pushed to the version on the gnome shell extensions page

To solve the issue, I have temporarily disabled the activities menu. As an alternative, I am currently using arcmenu to search and launch applications.
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1228/arc-menu/

I have also have the no top left corner extension to prevent accidental activities activation
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/118/no-topleft-hot-corner/

1 Like

I recently had issues upgrading docker from fedora 31 to fedora 32
This guide was helpful in installing docker on fedora 32

I had previously used the guide by docker, but I think it didnā€™t translate well

I had issues when running the dnf upgrade command since the docker had an older repo I had added on fedora 31

sudo dnf upgrade                                                                                                                                                                                 (base) 
Docker CE Stable - x86_64                                                                                                                                                                                     1.7 kB/s | 384  B     00:00    
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'docker-ce-stable':
  - Status code: 404 for https://download.docker.com/linux/fedora/32/x86_64/stable/repodata/repomd.xml
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'docker-ce-stable': Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried
Ignoring repositories: docker-ce-stable
Last metadata expiration check: 0:22:04 ago on Sun 16 Aug 2020 11:36:32 AM CDT.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

to get rid of the docker-ce-stable repo, I followed the dnf disable commands from the fedora dnf guide
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/23/html/System_Administrators_Guide/sec-Managing_DNF_Repositories.html
which looked like this

dnf config-manager --set-disabled docker-ce-stable

now when I run the dnf upgrade command, my shell outputs the following

udo dnf upgrade                                                                                                                                                                                 (base) 
Last metadata expiration check: 0:24:58 ago on Sun 16 Aug 2020 11:36:32 AM CDT.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

Yep

1 Like

What do you Mean I should Read the Fabulous manualā€¦

Well, I just realized that not everyone has gpg keys set up. Iā€™ve been using it for so long and since all my coworkers use em, I just sorta assume itā€™s commonplace. Sorry!

But yes, man gpg is great.

2 Likes

I genuinely thought the new GnuGPG might have a central place, like a github section, or some central pace, mostly because the command didnā€™t pass a key file.

Compiling and installing a program from source doesnā€™t put it in your RPM database, which means you donā€™t have a listing of where/what files were installed, and you canā€™t do nice stuff like verify the checksums of the installed files. If other RPMs depend on it, they will think itā€™s not installed and refuse to install. etc. You can certainly try it, itā€™s possible your problems are only with rpmbuild and you might get past that.

1 Like

So GPG works kinda like a package manager, in that you can receive keys from a keyserver. Basically download someone elseā€™s public key. But thereā€™s no hardcoded master server.

For example, thereā€™s http://keys.gnupg.net

2 Likes

Okay, cool, so I was simply wrong, not outrageously crazy? Iā€™ll take it!

Itā€™s not that they donā€™t have a central repository. Itā€™s just that itā€™s not really designed to be tightly integrated.

2 Likes

So itā€™s cleaner to go ahead with the SRPM compile with rpmbuild?
I will post progress soon.

Open-ended Poll:

What is the best terminal emulator in Wayland (preferably not relying on xwayland), and why?

alacritty?

Because itā€™s not Gnome Terminal and has native wayland support

1 Like

Terminator.

Itā€™s awesome. Has working transparency and split panes. 25666 colors

2 Likes
  • Terminology
  • Terminology
  • Terminology
  • Terminology
  • Terminology
  • Terminology
  • Terminology

0 voters

Because:

• In-terminal video, picture and thumbnail support
  • Looks smashing
  • Very fast
  • Scalable fonts
  • Integrates with Enlightenment WM
  • Amazing Cotext Menu (RMB)

0 voters

Excuse me, but an open poll should be like this?

1 Like

Will try Terminology and alacrity, thanks all!

New question for today:

How do people deal with tmux > ssh > tmux nesting? Do you just change the prefix hotkey locally and use C-b for the remote session? Afaics thereā€™s no way to directly attach a remote session, right?

Ideally, Iā€™d have a local session that connects to the remote socket and it would load my own tmux.conf. No double status bars and that sort of thingā€¦

1 Like

on your local machine remap the command key. I use ctrl a instead of ctrl b

orā€¦ ya knowā€¦ donā€™t use tmux on your local machine for regular ops.

1 Like

Yeah that seems like the way to go. I just wish I could have it load my local .tmux.conf but I guess there are compatibility issues and other potential issues with that.

What if one used screen within tmux? Or would they conflict? #honestQuestion

Or like Tmux local, screen on remote

1 Like