The small linux problem thread

With Ubuntu 16.04 on my Dell XPS 13, Chrome flickers on certain pages, unless I start it with --disable-gpu-driver-bug-workarounds --enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers

does it have discrete GPU? NVidia/ati?

No, an iGPU. I have no idea what those commands do. I just know it fixes my problem

chromium >/dev/null results in this output (after about 15 seconds):

** Message: Remote error from secret service: org.freedesktop.Secret.Error.IsLocked: Cannot get secret of a locked object
[1448:1467:0610/221149:ERROR:native_backend_libsecret.cc(644)] Unable to load secret itemCannot get secret of a locked object
[1448:1448:0610/221232:ERROR:navigation_entry_screenshot_manager.cc(141)] Invalid entry with unique id: 7

I wonder if it's a lock issue when I try adjusting volume using the top bar as well. I've had issues with Arch updates not working either until I remove a dblock a few times in the past couple of months.

Do i need the debian desktop environment if i have gnome or cinnamon?

ie is the Debian desktop environment a gui?

No, Debian is a distribution. A desktop enviroment (DE) like gnome, KDE, LXDE, cinnamon, Xfce, MATE will look like pretty much the same, no matter what distribution you're using, minor some small addition that the DE maintainer might add.

The Debian desktop environment is a meta package. It contains no files, but contains dependencies for other packages, to smoothly install all the packages needed for the full desktop environment that is default on Debian. (Gnome 3)

thanks mate

If you're using the nvidia drivers, try turning on triple buffering by adding

Option "TripleBuffer" "1"

to your xorg.conf under the "Device Section". This helped fix tearing for
me. There is also a full composition pipeline option, but I'm not sure
about how to turn it on.

Thanks apollo344. I'll add that to my xorg.conf. I haven't had much tearing issues since using Mint 17.3 using Metacity + Compton and Nvidia 352.63 drivers. Things still get strange using 2 1080p and 1 1440p monitors at times, but that's to be expected I guess. Sound drives seem better also. Except with some sound codes because I use S/PDIF optical output.

I am having a problem with video tearing on the bottom 1/3 of my screen.
Using Manjaro xfce gtx 560 using nvidea drivers

the tearing occurs in mine craft other 3d first person and on youtube.
Does not occur when using kodi

Just wanted to update this since it was never resolved.

I've found the cause of my issues to be LightDM. Switching to GDM fixed all of my issues.

Ideally I'd like to switch back to LightDM - but at this point I feel like just taking the easy route and continuing to use GDM.

Found the solution to my problem, Had to install compiz and everything was good.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Because Chromium has decided to take forever to launch again. Worked great for a day+. Awesome. :(

-edit-
Spotify too.... I don't know that it was slow to launch before. Can't remember.

What distro is this in?

Arch, Antergos, and Manjaro... Gnome...KDE... XFCE... DE's didn't make a difference.

I think what's more annoying than Chromium taking 15seconds, is volume adjustments in the taskbar freezing the machine and then seemingly not actually making any volume change. One thing I noticed in Arch proper was even firing up alsamixer from terminal would take ~15 seconds (didn't test in the others).

Issue not present on Ubuntu 16.xx, Fedora 24 beta, or openSUSE Tumbleweed. I'd rather be rolling Arch, but Tumbleweed seems like a worthy choice as well because my main attraction to Arch was the rolling release. I installed Tumbleweed yesterday, and aside from a few issues with Chromium not redrawing sometimes when I open a new tab (but the previous tab still working fine) it seems to work better on my system.

Interestingly all the same distro. I have a feeling its some quirk of Arch on your system.

I've been trying to install a minecraft modpack. I needed java, so I tried to install it. I do not get the option to run the modpack with java even though it is a .jar file. I do not know that much, so stuff that is basic to you will need to be explained to me.

Fedora 24

java -jar modpack.jar is usualy is how .jars are run in Linux. Same as Minecraft.

1 Like

So I tried that and I'm having a different issue. It gets to a certain part of running the modpack and just stops. Doesn't freeze, just stops.