The small linux problem thread

got it

Is there a way to add the -d and -n switch to the reposync command?

I added it into here, I hope that works.

def buildreposynccommand(repodir, repos):
com = "reposync"
for item in repos:
com += " -d -n -r " + item
com += " -p " +repodir
return com

Haha it printed reposync -d -n -r base -d -n -r updates -p /path/to/folder

I guess bash doesn’t care since it’s still going

I’m bad at py

1 Like

If you add another line, just above the for loop, com += " -d -n", that should take care of it.

This is how you learn.

so It looks like it worked, but at the end of the script, printed this to stdout

shasum matched, skipping
shasum matched, skipping
shasum matched, skipping
shasum matched, skipping
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “pythonscript.py”, line 94, in
movefiles(movelist,destdir)
TypeError: movefiles() takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)

Are there issues with python2 and Centos 6.9? It seems to not want to work when I take the same script over to that and run it.

I have all but forgotten that this thread even exists.

I’m having game problems, specifically source games, but not limited to them either.

First up, counter strike source fails to recognize my filesystem, xfs. Fails to load textures because somehow theres too many textures for my 8gb card to handle. And lastly it crashes on render.

Next, tf2, filesystem thing again, hangs at main menu, or crashes X to tty. Thats pretty fuckin stupid.

Next, garrys mod. Can’t load. Doesn’t try.

Next cs 1.6, can’t load, doesn’t try.

Last, csgo randomly hangs for a second, crashes when I die, and freezes at buy menu.

Why is this here? One, filesystem libs, two, I think its an opengl handling problem. I understand I can launch the games in terminal and all that and I have yet to do that. I’m currently forcing myself into ubuntu. What are some things I should check on? Mesa? Are there some libs that are broken by default? All games were fine on antergos but broke when I changed os, though when I went to manjaro to test because I had a disk handy it gave a different just of errors but they are still listed above.

I was told it would probably be a good idea to link this here as well. I’m very tired. Little slow today ^^

Fixed. Steam had fucked libs. Apparently theres package difference between xubuntu and antergos, to the point that it breaks games.

1 Like

I am a Manjaro user since yesterday and so far I am pretty happy that all went well. There is only one thing that bothers me and that is the question if I want Chrome to be the standard browser every single time I open it. Shouldn’t it be enough to ask that question once? Can I turn it off somehow? When I click links in emails or other non browser apps it opens FireFox instead of Chrome too.

that is controlled by your default app settings, which getting to depends on which desktop environment your running. (gnome, kde, xfce, or so on)

in Gnome you go into settings and the details section is where you can set your defaults. I don’t remember KDE’s exact location, and I have never used xfce, but most desktops have settings menus that will have what you are looking for.

Just a heads up, I had problems with the script :confused: I really appreciate your time. but after much digging and practicing my Google-Fu, I came across an obscure Github with a python program called PakRat that does EXACTLY what I wanted. It even can download the latest packages and put them into a folder tree with the date appended to the folder name in which it was downloaded. Pretty cool shit. Even provides a progress meter.

2 Likes

I did that but Chrome is still asking everytime I open the browser :frowning:

sorry, I miss read your post. to stop chrome from asking, that should be in chrome’s settings, under the default browser section, should be a slider to stop if from asking you. probably named something like “check default browser” or “check at startup”

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m a shitty programmer. :confused:

Glad you were able to find a solution!

solved my issue, wierdly arch had update that solved the issue.

originally I had reinstalled antergos with the LTS version to see if that would help. Reinstalling the system solved my bluetooth issues, but not the shutdown errors.

the issue resolved itself in a update(kinda like my scroll wheel

I need some pointers on virtual networking in virt-manager / qemu. No matter how much I read about it I just can’t get the VM on the same network as the host (and everything else).

The goal (for the VM) is to mount an NFS share, be accessible from other systems on the internal network, and also have internet access. Through some bastardization voodoo I was able to get it to mount the NFS share, but it didn’t have internet access and I probably couldn’t access it from another system.

Any suggestions?

Have you setup a bridge connection?
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Virtualization_Guide/sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_networking_with_libvirt.html

I just set up a bridge network following this guide: https://fedoramagazine.org/build-network-bridge-fedora/

First question: the IP address for the bridge. Should it be an address on the physical network (192.168.0.x), or should it be removed (192.168.1.x)?

Second question: what is the process for creating a virtual network with the bridge adapter?

I have written and deleted this response about four times now over the last few hours without actually posting it. I have tired quite a few things to get this to work, all with no success. So, rather than make a huge response with all my failings I’ll just keep it simple with the two questions.

For what you are wanting to accomplish just put the bridge adapter on same network. Let your VMs use bridge adapter and get an address on same network. That is how I would accomplish this. Do not worry about setting up a virtual network on bridged adapter.

1 Like

Thanks. That was exactly what I needed to do. For some reason my brain was stuck on needing to go through the virtual networking garbage.

I did, however, need to use the second NIC for the bridge. If I attached the bridge to the primary NIC it took the IP address and applied it to the bridge. This removed network address to the host.

This guide helped too: https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking

What’s weird is that I can’t restart the network service (systemctl restart network). This happens:
Screenshot from 2017-10-28 12-34-05

This made it so with every change I made to the network config I had to do a complete reboot. Which sucked.

But the VM is now up and can access the NFS share and is accessible from other systems. Cool. Thanks again.

Yesterday I did a pacman -Syyu and now I get this when I try to boot into Manjaro.

IMG_20171029_013052

I am pretty sure that this has to do something with my graphics card from what I was able to google but everyone recommends to switch to the IGP and then upgrade to nvidia drivers but I can’t use the IGP because I don’t have any DVI connectors and my Display Port doesn’t work on the monitor side. Can I fix this problem without the IGP solution?