The small linux problem thread

So I’m having a problem I haven’t seen brought up yet, and it’s rather frustrating. When I go to install Linux I receive the following error no matter if I’m creating a partition or doing a full wipe and install.

Installer Failed
The installer failed to create a partition table on INTEL [SSD]
---------------------------------------------------------
Create a new partition table (type: gpt) on `/dev/nvme1n1`
----------------------------------------------------------
Job: Create new partition table on device `/dev/nvme1n1'
Command: sfdisk--wipe=always/dev/nvme1n1

This probably has something to do with my laptop utilizing an Intel Optane 1TB drive for the primary hard drive and a 25GB drive for the OS. I’ve tried installing on both, and the error remains the same. So I’m at a loss on how to get Linux installed. I’ve updated all my drivers and verified my .iso files before trying to install from them. When booting from the USB drives everything functions normally.

Should we assume you’re installing arch based on your username?

I don’t recognize this output, but first thing I notice is that there are no spaces in sfdisk--wipe=always/dev/nvme1n1.

You seem to be passing it a partition instead of a disk, which is likely your issue.

sfdisk ... /dev/nvme1 for example would likely work, but you’re trying to pass it nvme1n1, you can however pass it in a partition number with the -N but that assumes you know what you’re doing.

2 Likes

I have a BCM43xx card and despite downloading Debian 11 (Bullseye)'s community build with proprietary software, it doesn’t come with Broadcom drivers. Using Ethernet is not an option.

Solus, Ubuntu, Zorin OS, PopOS!, Lubuntu, Manjaro, Fedora and (of course) Debian, none of them come with Broadcom drivers included. I used to use this old TP-Link USB WiFi card and despite it being unstable (for reasons I do not fully understand), I was able to use it to bootstrap my system to have Broadcom drivers installed.

That USB WiFI card has crapped out and (with Debian) I used to manage by installing the OS in a virtual machine and then using sudo apt-get install --download-only to get all the packages I need (I didn’t do this with a Live ISO because its overall package state differed from the installed version and I wanted to remove uncertainty).

I thought once I’m done with Debian, I could use said packages with any Debian-derivative and because of that, I trashed my Zorin OS dual boot that I’m using for Docker cause I use a Ryzentosh as my daily driver.

Any distro that comes with proprietary drivers (like Broadcom’s) and/or build-essentials (along with kernel headers and other stuff needed to build DKMS packages) installed from the get-go?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Figuring out how to add space to fedora partition

I upgraded to fedora 35. My DE got switched to Gnome. How do I re-enable cinnamon?
sudo dnf grouplist -v shows cinnamon as being installed, but not available. Am I SOL until cinnamon gets an update for Fedora 35 or did I forget to enable something?

The gdm login screen shows no options to switch desktops.

Available Environment Groups:
   Fedora Custom Operating System (custom-environment)
   Minimal Install (minimal-environment)
   Fedora Server Edition (server-product-environment)
   Fedora Workstation (workstation-product-environment)
   Fedora Cloud Server (cloud-server-environment)
   KDE Plasma Workspaces (kde-desktop-environment)
   Xfce Desktop (xfce-desktop-environment)
   LXDE Desktop (lxde-desktop-environment)
   LXQt Desktop (lxqt-desktop-environment)
   MATE Desktop (mate-desktop-environment)
   Sugar Desktop Environment (sugar-desktop-environment)
   Deepin Desktop (deepin-desktop-environment)
   Development and Creative Workstation (developer-workstation-environment)
   Web Server (web-server-environment)
   Infrastructure Server (infrastructure-server-environment)
   Basic Desktop (basic-desktop-environment)
   i3 desktop (i3-desktop-environment)
Installed Environment Groups:
   Cinnamon Desktop (cinnamon-desktop-environment)
Installed Groups:
   Container Management (container-management)
   LibreOffice (libreoffice)
   GNOME Desktop Environment (gnome-desktop)
   Fonts (fonts)
   Hardware Support (hardware-support)

installing switch desk and running switchdesk cinnamon, switchdesk cinnamon-desktop, and switchdesk cinnamon-desktop-environment
yields the following

Unknown desktop requested: cinnamon
Unknown desktop requested: cinnamon-desktop
Unknown desktop requested: cinnamon-desktop-environment

Have you logged out and checked the gear wheel :

The option to log into Cinnamon should be there

1 Like

seems I didn’t look hard enough. Probably doesn’t help that my login screen defaults to my vertical monitor so I have to turn my head sideways every time to read it

anyone know why the performance option (power setting plans) is missing in F35 on AMD CPU PCs?
intel PC

my AMD pc…

@wendell
have you noticed this too?

1 Like

There are 3 different power profiles, a “balanced” default mode, a “power-saver” mode, as well as a “performance” mode. The first 2 of those are available on every system. The “performance” mode is only available on select systems and is implemented by different “drivers” based on the system or systems it targets.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Power_Profiles_Daemon

1 Like

oh ok so intel only

I don’t think it’s Intel or AMD specific. Likely it’s dependent on the system manufacturer providing a “Performance” power preset in UEFI BIOS and the power-profiles-daemon having a way to toggle that setting on or off.

doubt it has anything to do with UEFI …

my intel Z370M MB hasnt had a BIOS update since 2019 (has performance option)

but my x570 MB had one about 6 months ago… (no performance option)

If you’d like to read more, there is some documentation on the power-profile-daemon gitlab repo that’ll explain it better than I can.

1 Like

From my ~/.bashrc I don’t use gnome, so I don’t have that UI to check, but I’m on an AMD system and I can def change between at least the CPU governors. I’m not sure if that performance option actually changes anything more than this.

1 Like

I know it’s been a while, but I ended up changing the network device for the VMs to the Realtek option and that seems to have solved the issue. It’s been almost 2 weeks with no issues so far.

Edit: Related to Proxmox network device hang issue I’ve been having.

Is there a way to extend /etc/services with some custom service definitions? I hesitate to edit it manually to avoid collisions with updates. I’m thinking something like /etc/services.d or /usr/local/etc/services where I could override or add to definitions in /etc/services. Possible there is no accepted way of doing this, but figured I’d ask.

Anyone have any recent experience ripping CDs in KDE? I’m using the Dolphin integration, it’s taking hours to rip 73MB of audio. I ripped 50GB of blu-ray and converted to mkv in about 10 minutes yesterday…

I know people in general have jumped on the lossy, low bitrate noise-fest of online-only streamed audio lately but for those of us who like to actually enjoy the content we’re consuming optical media is still kind of necessary… Not to mention that I can’t stream audio in the car due to not having reliable Internet access*

*I really wish I didn’t have to justify using optical media at all when bringing up the subject, but I have enough experience of the Internet to pre-emptively expect a lecture from people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

Edit: I had it running overnight for about 10 hours. It managed to copy 5MiB in that time, so it would take about two weeks at this rate. That’s not feasible. I don’t understand why it’s having so much difficulty with audio CDs when makeMKV can use the drive just fine with blu rays.

1 Like

Quick side note, and not to dissuade you from doing what you’re doing, but Qobuz streams lossless audio at high bitrate/depths if you ever want to supplement your collection with streaming.

Sorry I can’t answer your actual question :frowning:

2 Likes