The small linux problem thread

My physical Linux box(i5 3rd gen) immediately sends me to Grub boot at startup. Even when I insert my installation media & try to boot to uefi, I’m sent to grub. Are my partitions faulty?

Sounds like there’s a boot priority list in your UEFI and whatever disk grub is installed on keeps finding its way to the top of that list. Have you tried messing around with that? Not super familiar with UEFI outside of ASUS and a dab of MSI…

1 Like

What happens when you choose the bottom menu option in grub?
Does it take you to the UEFI/Bios screen?

If so, can you get to the install media as a one off?

Might be a problem with either the media not being detected in time(unlikely) grub being too quick, or the UEFI just not bothering to poll devices, and running off a list it already has?

1 Like

Unplug the monitor’s power supply for 30 sec, then plug it back in. EDID information occasionally gets messed up.

1 Like

No luck, same problem.

Thanks for the input though!

1 Like

Well then there’s one thing you can try:

1 Like

Added the parameter and built grub image. Still no changes :cry:

Have you tried this? If so, can you provide some excerpts from /var/logs/Xorg.0.log?
Do you use a Xorg.conf? If so, maybe post excerpts from that as well. The “Screen” section should support an

Option "UseEdid" "False"

(You probably need to specify a mode manually)

1 Like

Are you getting the GRUB menu? Or just a grub shell?
If you get the grub menu, your partitions are working properly(the menu is loaded from there).
It does sound like you need change your boot settings(check your BIOS/UEFI configuration: try pressing one of the following keys as early as possible: F1, F2, delete, escape, F8, F11, F12. Some of those keys should get you to either the boot menu or the BIOS/UEFI. Sometimes you can pause early startup using the PAUSE key)

You can also use grub to load a kernel/initrd from external media, via the grub command-line(If you’re in the menu, press c).
Try something like ls first(help gets you a list of commands), it should list all file systems recognized by grub. Then try ls <filesystem name> to list files on that filesystem. You can load a kernel+initrd using the commands kernel <kernel file path>, initrd <initrd file path>, boot.

1 Like

Hi guys.
I’m getting many errors in the output scroll by when rebooting (other than ‘just’ file systems still being used) with watchdogs apparently not stopping at the end (watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!). how do I inspect those errors after reboot? how can I go about finding out why they are produced? I’m up-to-date and there are no pacnews and the like (arch-based system).

Do you have issues with the installation? I wouldn’t worry about it unless something is not working/slow.

You could try to edit /etc/default/grub to add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="reboot=acpi" or GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="reboot=bios", my 30s of googling seemed to suggest that.
Could also be that you still have applications running that don’t react to the KILL signal properly. Try rebooting without opening any applications. Don’t even log in, and see if you still get these messages.

Regularly. Thinking about reinstalling.

Not sure what reboot=acpi/bios does but I’ll try. Afaik errors happen even when immediately rebooting from tty.

Errors include (only what I could see from journalctl):

lvm2-monitor.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'
lvm[2834854]:   WARNING: Failed to unmonitor nvme/pfsense-snap
systemd[1]: dm-event.socket: Failed with result 'resources'.
systemd[1]: dm-event.socket: Failed to queue service startup job (Maybe the service file is missing or not a non-template unit?): Transaction for dm-event.service/start is destructive
systemd[1]: Failed unmounting /home
systemd[1]: home.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a
umount[2834853]: umount: /home: target is busy.
systemd[1]: Failed unmounting /tmp.
systemd[1]: tmp.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a
umount[2834851]: umount: /tmp: target is busy.
systemd[1]: Stopped User Login Management.
systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Succeeded.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 230501 (encfs) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 109255 (encfs) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 1385513 (ssh) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 112255 (autossh) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 112005 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111961 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111928 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111896 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111830 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111791 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111754 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111721 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111654 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111600 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111565 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111533 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111405 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111368 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111339 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111300 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111271 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 111234 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 109254 (encfs) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 107256 (bash) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 6910 (dmesg) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 6907 (sudo) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 6903 (bmon) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 6899 (bmon) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 6895 (bmon) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 6890 (mtr) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 6872 (mtr-packet) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 6870 (mtr) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[1]: [email protected]: Killing process 6732 (tmux: server) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd[4800]: Failed to start KDE Global Shortcuts Server.
systemd[4800]: plasma-kglobalaccel.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
systemd[4800]: plasma-kglobalaccel.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT
systemd[1]: systemd-coredump.socket: Failed with result 'resources'.
systemd[1]: systemd-coredump.socket: Failed to queue service startup job (Maybe the service file is missing or not a non-template unit?): Transaction for [email protected]/start is destructive (shutdown.targe>
systemd[1]: Requested transaction contradicts existing jobs: Transaction for [email protected]/start is destructive (shutdown.target has 'start' job queued, but 'stop' is included in transaction).
kglobalaccel5[2834421]: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
                                       Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.
kglobalaccel5[2834421]: qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
kglobalaccel5[2834421]: qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
kiod5[1474882]: QDBusAbstractAdaptor: Cannot relay signal KDEDModule::moduleDeleted(KDEDModule*): Pointers are not supported: KDEDModule*
kactivitymanagerd[1474862]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
Celmor-PC krunner[3270898]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
kded5[1474892]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
kiod5[1474882]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
kglobalaccel5[1317588]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
systemd[1]: shadow.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Celmor-PC systemd[1]: shadow.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Honestly, most errors seem KDE releated which I’m not even using anymore (only certain KDE applications). Though errors like my tmux session/windows getting SIGKILLed and shadow service failing seems kind of worrying though and not normal behavior.

Yes. One of the first steps was to “Acquire EDID…” but that button is disabled on this specific monitor (flat button). It seems that nvidia-settings can’t get any display device information of this monitor.

Nope.

I’ve managed to set the ViewPortIn parameter to 1920x1080, but I can’t change the ViewPortOut, it always resets to 1600x900+0+0. It’s a bit better than before, but it has some weird upscaling artifacts, not ideal for sure.

I’m posting the full log because im not sure what I should look for. The troublesome monitor is labeled as CRT-0

Thanks!

Hm, do you have a partition whos label contains a space character? There was this bug, and the first thing in that log is not beeing able to unmount multiple file systems. Can you also provide the output of systemctl --version?

It also seems like the issue might be related to the user session. Can you log out normally?
If the errors also happen without launching a user session(e.g no login, just ctrl-alt-delete on TTY1), it is most likely a systemd system service going rouge, I suspect something KDE related, as you said.
Requested transaction contradicts existing jobs Means that some service tries to star and stop a service, which is not something useful. I’m no systemd expert, but it seems like on shutdown it tries to start some KDE services for some reason.
Maybe try something like systemctl status on a logged-in session to see what KDE services are started? Shouldn’t be required if you’re not using KDE… Possibly just try disabling them using systemctl disable <whatever>.
Regarding that shadow service, is it running normally before the shutdown? Check using systemctl status shadow.service
You can get shutdown logs saved to disk like this.

1 Like

My small Linux Problem…
I have a installation of proxmox (debian base) I did when I first started a few months ago. I wasn’t as informed as I am now on using different accounts or how to properly use accounts.
When I attempt to run commands from my user account I get a message like this…

user@system:~$ zpool status
-bash: zpool: command not found

Yet when I sudo the command it works perfectly…
Have I created my user account the wrong was possibly?
Or do I need to copy the /bin/bash files over so I can use the commands without having to sudo to do things that shouldn’t require elevated permissions?
If I do need to copy the files over what is the most direct method? (IE some help with the commands, still new to linux)

Summary
$  ls /dev/disk/by-label/
Data
$  sudo blkid /dev/sd* /dev/nvme0* | awk '/LABEL/ {print $1 $2}'
/dev/sda1:LABEL="Data"
/dev/sdb1:LABEL="Data"
/dev/sdc1:LABEL="Data"

Doesn’t appear so.

systemd 247 (247.4-1-manjaro)
+PAM +AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA -APPARMOR +SMACK -SYSVINIT +UTMP +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ +LZ4 +ZSTD +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS +KMOD +IDN2 -IDN +PCRE2 default-hierarchy=hybrid

Sure, I can log out. the problem appears to be how I log out and that it causes various applications to lose X11 server connection and then perhaps getting sigkilled. I might try to close i3 and then reboot from tty instead of rebooting from i3 instead though (using bindsym r exec --no-startup-id systemctl reboot, mode "default" from a menu usually)

I do see systemd waiting for the cloudflared service for over a minute…

I did fix various KDE related issues recently by replacing *-git packages for it I had installed from AUR with official repo version. Will see if that helps.

Well, I’m not using KDE but the KDE applications I use (kate, dolphin, spectacle…) launch various KDE services that put themselves on dbus.

Summary
           │   │ │ ├─dbus.service 
           │   │ │ │ ├─  2685 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --session --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation --sy>
           │   │ │ │ ├─  3574 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets
           │   │ │ │ ├─113866 /usr/lib/gconfd-2
           │   │ │ │ └─957212 /usr/bin/kded5
           │   │ │ ├─dbus.service 
           │   │ │ │ ├─  2685 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --session --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation --sy>
           │   │ │ │ ├─  3574 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets
           │   │ │ ├─dbus.service 
           │   │ │ └─gvfs-mtp-volume-monitor.service
           │   │ │   └─103316 /usr/lib/gvfs-mtp-volume-monito
           │   │ └─init.scope
           │   └─session-1.scope
           │     ├─ 957182 kdeinit5: Running...
           │     ├─ 957183 /usr/lib/kf5/klauncher --fd=8

Not sure on what though.

That I fixed. Apparently there was a qemu user with /home/qemu as home dir which didn’t exist.

I’ll try that for next time I reboot
I can share a recording I did using my phone of the shutdown process in a bit.

Either way, thanks for yout tips.

1 Like

So this is a matter of the zpool binary location not being within your $PATH. Run the command which zpool as root or sudo to find the location and compare that to the output of echo $PATH without sudo. You can then add the directory permanently by editing your .bashrc to include export PATH=/directory/containing/zpool:$PATH

2 Likes

[quote=“HaaStyleCat, post:4055, topic:75538”]

zpool: command not found

Yet when I sudo the command it works…[/quote]
I expect zpool is in /usr/sbin (/sbin is usually a link to /usr/sbin). /usr/sbin has sysadmin commands. If I’m on a distro that doesn’t have /usr/sbin or /sbin in the PATH I quickly edit ~/.profile (or some other startup script) to add it.

1 Like

Thank you @jlittle and @2FA. I will look at both of these soon as I get a chance to pull up the server

Maybe a dumb question… can you have printf reuse a string?

Instead of this:

% printf 'foo1: %s\nfoo2: %s\n' 'bar'
foo1: bar
foo2:

I want this:

foo1: bar
foo2: bar

Obviously I could printf 'foo1: %s\nfoo2: %s\n' 'bar' 'bar' but wondering if there’s a way to reuse the parameter in the format string.