The small linux problem thread

41 posts were split to a new topic: Trying to install MS Office 365 on Linux using Wine - Help needed

Did you run KDE Partition Manager with elevated (root) privileges?

1 Like

Yes, it asks for them automatically (also fairly certain if it didn’t have it the formatting wouldn’t have worked either).

I edited the fstab manually and mounting works, but I have a small issue with it. The drive is mounted read-only, although I used the defaults setting in the fourth value. According to the docs:

defaults
                     use default options: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async.

I don’t know what all these options do, but I am fairly certain rw is read-write. So why is it mounted read-only?
edit:
even setting rw explicitly doesn’t make it writable…?

Uh OK seems the drive is owned by root and only that has read/write.
chowned it, but is that the best thing to do?

For flexibility and reliability, ext4 is best in most cases.

XFS can grow but not shrink, where Ext4 can be resized either way. XFS may have slightly higher performance on heavy loads, and a bit more flexibility in inode counts, but it also has issues with zeroing files after crashes, though nothing near Btrfs’ data loss issues.

XFS now has Reflinks support, so “offline” dedupe tools made for btrfs work on XFS with recent kernels, no sign of that coming to ext4 yet. ZFS is good, but I wouldn’t recommend it for average home users.

2 Likes

Having an interesting issue. I broke my .zshrc up into parts to isolate various parts in their own config files. All .zshrc does is source the individual config files. This is working great, with one exception. I have tmux automatically attach to a daemonized session via a tmux.zsh file that is sourced in .zshrc. If I source it manually, it works as expected, but when it’s sourced by .zshrc, it can’t find the tty.

open terminal failed: not a terminal

Not sure what I can do about this…

Looks like problem is being caused from sourcing from a while loop.

Solved the problem. I was piping ls to a while read ... loop to source the config files. read was controlling stdin which prevented tmux from running. Using a for loop now and all good. Here is my .zshrc if anyone is curious.

# ZSHRC

# sort and source sh (generic) and zsh rc configurations
for RC in $(  { ls -d "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-$HOME/.config}/sh/rc.d/"*
                ls -d "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-$HOME/.config}/zsh/zshrc.d/"*
              } 2>/dev/null |
                sort        |
                tr '\n' ' '
           ); do
  source "${RC}" ||
  printf 'ZSHRC: An error occured in %s\n' "${RC##*/}" >&2
done  ||

{ printf 'ZSHRC: An error occured in .zshrc\n' >&2
  return 1
}

return 0
1 Like

bumpadeebump

Anyone familiar with netctl?

I’m having trouble figuring out why I can’t get it to bring up a bond…

I’ve got bonding module config as follows:

options bonding mode=active-backup miimon=100 primary=ens1u2u1u1 max_bonds=4

Bond config:

Description='Wired with wireless failover'
Interface=bond0
Connection=bond
BindsToInterfaces=(ens1u2u1u1 wlp58s0)
IP=dhcp
DHCPClient=dhcpcd
Mode=active-backup

Simple ethernet configuration is working properly though…

Description='A basic dhcp ethernet connection'
Interface=ens1u2u1u1
Connection=ethernet
IP=dhcp
#DHCPClient=dhcpcd
#DHCPReleaseOnStop=no
## for DHCPv6
#IP6=dhcp
#DHCP6Client=dhclient
## for IPv6 autoconfiguration
IP6=stateless

It complains about a timeout on ens1u2u1u1, and nothing more than that…

Nothing of note in syslog.

This isn’t exactly a problem, but this is almost the Linux Lounge and I found this incredibly interesting (undoubtedly more so than it actually is):

Capture

I changed one of my server’s ssh ports around a month ago and enjoyed almost zero automated brute-force attempts on the host since then… Then, they started back up.

It’s almost as if the attacker(s) re-scan hosts periodically (monthly?). That time frame between mapping ports in itself is interesting, but so is the decision to even bother… You’d figure anyone with the wherewithal to change their listening port isn’t going to be susceptible to brute-force attacks, and so not bother with the extra complexity (albeit trivial) of coding this re-scan up, or expend resource attacking it when you could be targeting likely more susceptible servers.

4 Likes

That is interesting. What is your fail2ban policy though? Do the bans expire?

2 Likes

I wonder if something like Shodan does hourly/every few hours a simple ping, and a rolling monthly deeper scan?
Like, ping the whole lot once, and check full name, splitting all the addresses over the month/between it’s servers?

2 Likes

Ping me, scan me, bruteforce me, beat me. I don’t care anymore.

:slight_smile:

I used to run fail2ban, move my SSH port around, experiment with port knocking, etc.

I just don’t care about it though. Just let them try. I just filter the noise out of the logs when I double-check them.

2 Likes

5 tries within 10 minutes for a ban of 10 minutes.

Here’s a longer view, including the missing month.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Unless you want to limit ssh to specific IPs, fail2ban is doing its job and there’s not much else you can do.

Are you using spamhaus block list or anything like that?

1 Like

Oh no, not worried, I just thought it was particularly interesting!

1 Like

You can probably thank shodan.

My ssh server went unnoticed for a couple of years, until shodan.

1 Like

Quick question.

I just upgraded from Ubuntu 18.4 LTS to 20.04.1 and my mounted smb shares aren’t showing up on the desktop now.

My smb shares auto mount with fstab, and do so as normal. But on 18.4 they popped up on the desktop, since they mount under /media. But they don’t now. The auto mount is set up exactly as it was on 18.4.

I cant seem to find a setting to change, so I’m a bit miffled.
Any ideas?

Is bridge-utils installed?

And ain’t none of us even mad lol.

I encountered this as well when I started playing with fail2ban and ssh-tarpits. Some sort of “try again” and conditional I’m guessing. With cloud architecture they probably assume a ton of people change IPs so after a while there will be different security measures.

I suck at thinking like an attacker, but that would be my line of thinking if I were one.

1 Like

Sure is. :confused:

Does anyone here run systemd-boot ? or is interested n doing so? I have gotten away from grub2 for less packages and issues if things break. Anyone care to share experience with systemd-boot if they do?

1 Like