The small linux problem thread

This isn't a pleasant task at the command line, but the grub-customizer package should help w/o too much drama.

1 Like

i dont know the standard repo i suppose. i didnt add any repos on this machine

Its not in the standard repo.. So i've no idea what you isntalled.

# dnf search amdgpu
Last metadata expiration check: 2:56:40 ago on Sun Mar 12 11:35:26 2017 GMT.
============================= N/S Matched: amdgpu ==============================
xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu.x86_64 : AMD GPU video driver

Post the link for the following

fpaste --sysinfo

This is the output from "dnf search amdgpu"

fpaste --sysinfo is still running waiting for any output

I dunno. Don't use wayland straight.

I have 3 drives
Drive A, ssd for windows (boot)
Drive B, Hard drive for windows (MassStorage)
Drive C, m.2 for linux

Currently I am mounting Drive B to view files every time I startup linux on Drive C. Is there a way where I don't have to remount the drive every time a restart my computer?

Is there any way for me to Share Drive B between linux and windows? I want to use Drive B's folders as the default locations for Linux's documents, downloads, music, etc.

Example situations

So if I download something from the internet, it will go into the downloads folder in Drive B and will be acessible by Linux and Windows.

If I want to listen to music, I can go to the Music folder in Drive B and open the files from that drive.

I have a problem I posted here a few minutes ago that may be considered small to you more knowledgeable folk.

Gnome has a tool called Disks, click on your Activities tab and search for it, when you open it, select the disk drive on the left you want to use, then select which file system on it you would like to mount. There will be two wheels below the Volumes section - "Additional partition options", click on that then Edit Mount Options, untick Auto Mount Options, below you can specify the mount point you want to use, in your case you can use /home or some folder in /home. Make sure "Mount on Startup" is selected. Reboot and your B drive should be automatically mounted to where your specified.

Also someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Linux could read ntfs, but the opposite isn't possible if you were trying to access a filesystem coming from Linux on Windows, say btrfs or ext4.

1 Like

How do you have so many packages :D All I'm finding is xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu.x86_64 : AMD GPU video driver, this is on Fedora 25 with only the polaris-gfx copr repo added.

Turn off fast startup on windows.

Windows doesn't actually shut down the system properly these days to try and improve startup speed.

Once you've done that you can add the drive to your /etc/fstab safely

1 Like

nvm some how got turned on by windows

Should be under the Boot section in UEFI, it might also be called fast boot

do i just go to the disks and unmount the home partition?

Or just from the cmd
shutdown /f /s
for proper shutdown

Check my comment

You are trying to mount your Linux nvme drive twice on /home, the 1TB WD10EZEX's ntfs filesystem is what you want to mount if that's your Drive B Hard drive, also if your /home is already mounted, perhaps you should make another folder inside /home and mount Drive B there.

Do you have a separate /home partition?

if I unmounted the home partition on nvme, I wouldn't cause complete Armageddon?

Edit: It will cause Armageddon

1 Like

can i just delete the partition instead?

Why don't you just mount it in a folder inside /home and recreate all the folders you want there? I'm not sure if you can remount /home on a running system, I get the same error when I try to do it with umount

I think you can do it from a livecd with fstab, but that's probably not the best way, it's also probably a not so good idea to have a ntfs filesystem on your /home partition

Found this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/330356/is-it-bad-to-have-home-on-an-ntfs-partition

So I would just mount it inside a folder in /home called Bdrive or something

1 Like