The small linux problem thread

Is is too bad to store stuff in a container, if compression is irrelevant?
Is 7z just a vessel to encrypt, or actually key to the process?

(have never tried myself, just wondering)

[edit, 7z actually looks pretty easy for this, so sorry for the comperssion]

But I don’t want any compression? The files can’t be compressed in any meaning full way, yet it tries like crazy to do it, so it takes forever, and saves maybe 10 MB on a 50 GB file.

I hadn’t found that, I’ll take a look at :slight_smile:

Probably not, but I wasn’t aware I could make an encrypted file container? What software could I use? And preferably with an gui :slight_smile:
7z is just the vessel, since I want to be able to download the files to any os and extract them if need be.

2 Likes

It seems most containers want a fixed size to begin, from the brief browsing I did.

if I was you, I’d look into Veracrypt

It might allow mounting through a gui, and so mount the encrypted likes like CD’s that you can upload wherever.

There Must be some kind of performance inpact, but no harm in giving it a go and seeing.

Otherwise, luks and gpg were the ones I thought of, but again, I only had a quick look.

I was impressed by this article, the last one talking about Veracrypt?

Okay, so you want an encrypted archive of files that don’t compress well, so no compression?

Easy.

tar -cf files-unencrypted.tar ./path/to/desired/files
gpg --encrypt --sign -r [email protected] files-unencrypted.tar

First command creates a tar, (tape archive). By default tarballs are not compressed. Second command uses GPG to encrypt all the data in the tarball with your GPG key.

3 Likes

Where does it find the public key? is it stored on the web somewhere?

I presume you have to create a keypair first?

Okay, reading the manual, key gets stored to ~/.gnupg/ but you don’t have to pass a keyfile, it looks up the file corresponding to the email address you provide, I think

1 Like

So earlier I found the DeaDBeeF audio player via this post and in a few hours I got it to look and behave pretty much like my Windows (and WINE) version of foobar2000. The only thing it seems to be missing is a library viewer for whatever strange reason…

I found this GitHub which should fill that need. I realise it is quite old, but I wanted to try it anyway. Unfortunatel when compiling I get this:

[tarulia@localhost deadbeef-librarybrowser]$ make
(CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh /home/tarulia/Documents/dev/deadbeef-librarybrowser/missing autoheader)
rm -f stamp-h1
touch config.h.in
cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status config.h
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/tarulia/Documents/dev/deadbeef-librarybrowser'
/bin/sh ./libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.    -std=c99 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/fribidi -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/libmount -I/usr/include/blkid -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -pthread  -Wall -Werror  -g -O2 -Wall -g -MT ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo -c -o ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.lo `test -f 'filebrowser.c' || echo './'`filebrowser.c
libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -std=c99 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/fribidi -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/libmount -I/usr/include/blkid -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -pthread -Wall -Werror -g -O2 -Wall -g -MT ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo -c filebrowser.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.o
In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkobject.h:37,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkwidget.h:36,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkcontainer.h:35,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkbin.h:35,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkwindow.h:36,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkdialog.h:35,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkaboutdialog.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:33,
                 from filebrowser.c:35:
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtktypeutils.h:236:1: error: ‘GTypeDebugFlags’ is deprecated [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
  236 | void            gtk_type_init   (GTypeDebugFlags    debug_flags);
      | ^~~~
In file included from /usr/include/glib-2.0/gobject/gobject.h:24,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/gobject/gbinding.h:29,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib-object.h:22,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/gioenums.h:28,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h:28,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/gio.h:26,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkapplaunchcontext.h:30,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:32,
/usr/include/glib-2.0/gobject/gtype.h:679:1: note: declared here
  679 | {
      | ^
In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtktoolitem.h:31,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtktoolbutton.h:30,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkmenutoolbutton.h:30,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:126,
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtktooltips.h:73:3: error: ‘GTimeVal’ is deprecated: Use 'GDateTime' instead [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
   73 |   GTimeVal last_popdown;
      |   ^~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/galloca.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib.h:30,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/gobject/gbinding.h:28,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib-object.h:22,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/gioenums.h:28,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h:28,
                 from /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/gio.h:26,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkapplaunchcontext.h:30,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:32,
/usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/gtypes.h:547:8: note: declared here
  547 | struct _GTimeVal
      |        ^~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make[1]: *** [Makefile:552: ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/tarulia/Documents/dev/deadbeef-librarybrowser'
make: *** [Makefile:417: all] Error 2

Is there an easy way to fix this (preferably without C coding knowledge :confused: )?

Somewhere (likely in your Makefile or Makefile.common) is an error=deprecated-declarations option. Remove that bit, and your compilation will proceed.

1 Like

Unfortunately not :frowning: not even a recursive grep finds anything :confused:

grep -Rn -e 'depracated'
[tarulia@localhost deadbeef-librarybrowser]$ grep -Rn -e 'deprecated'
Makefile:721:                  "legacy program 'compress' is deprecated." >&2
Makefile:728:                  "deprecated." >&2
aclocal.m4:802:             [$0: two- and three-arguments forms are deprecated.])
Makefile.in:721:                       "legacy program 'compress' is deprecated." >&2
Makefile.in:728:                       "deprecated." >&2
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:110: /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gallocator.h \
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:111: /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gcache.h \
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:112: /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gcompletion.h \
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:113: /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gmain.h \
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:114: /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/grel.h \
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:115: /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gthread.h /usr/include/pthread.h \
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:288: /usr/include/cairo/cairo-deprecated.h \
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:301: /usr/include/harfbuzz/hb-deprecated.h /usr/include/harfbuzz/hb-map.h \
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:745:/usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gallocator.h:
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:746:/usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gcache.h:
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:747:/usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gcompletion.h:
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:748:/usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gmain.h:
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:749:/usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/grel.h:
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:750:/usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gthread.h:
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:935:/usr/include/cairo/cairo-deprecated.h:
.deps/ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la-filebrowser.Tpo:955:/usr/include/harfbuzz/hb-deprecated.h:
autom4te.cache/traces.2:68:dnl Although the argument is deprecated and no longer documented,
autom4te.cache/traces.2:83:dnl Although the argument is deprecated and no longer documented,
autom4te.cache/traces.2:1121:             [$0: two- and three-arguments forms are deprecated.])
autom4te.cache/traces.0:912:dnl Although the argument is deprecated and no longer documented,
autom4te.cache/traces.0:927:dnl Although the argument is deprecated and no longer documented,
autom4te.cache/traces.0:2109:             [$0: two- and three-arguments forms are deprecated.])
config.guess:93:# use `HOST_CC' if defined, but it is deprecated.

And yes, I also tried deprecated-declarations, which doesn’t find anything at all.

The only thing in the Makefile regarding flags seems to be this:

# normal lib
#DEBUG_FLAGS = -g3 -ggdb
ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la_SOURCES = $(filebrowser_SOURCES)
ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la_LDFLAGS = -module
ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la_LIBADD = $(LDADD) $(GTK2_DEPS_LIBS)
ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK2_la_CFLAGS = -std=c99 $(GTK2_DEPS_CFLAGS) -Wall -Werror $(DEBUG_FLAGS)
ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK3_la_SOURCES = $(filebrowser_SOURCES)
ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK3_la_LDFLAGS = -module
ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK3_la_LIBADD = $(LDADD) $(GTK3_DEPS_LIBS)
ddb_misc_filebrowser_GTK3_la_CFLAGS = -std=c99 $(GTK3_DEPS_CFLAGS) -Wall -Werror $(DEBUG_FLAGS)

I’m just assuming those are the compiler flags, not sure…

/edit
removed -Werror (maybe not the best thing?) and it compiles, but the plugin doesn’t seem to do what it’s supposed to :thinking:

I find the 7z command very hard to use, and that it doesn’t fit in Linux very well. For example, using standard input needs shell tricks. The version of 7z on Linux comes with p7zip, a “quick” port to Linux in 2016. p7zip makes it fit, but is a bit old now and doesn’t accept anything like -9 or -mx=9.
xz and lzip use the same LZMA algorithm and give similar results to 7z, but are integrated into Linux well (though lzip can’t run muti-threaded and is slower anyway). For example, GNU tar can pipe its output through them.

I never had a problem the few times I used p7zip, but I was not concerned with encryption, just compressing files then uncompressing the other side. It does seem to have very good compression, but at the expense of speed.

I think-mx=0 turns off the compression all together, but cannot try it at the moment.

can confirm -mx=0 does ignore any compression, resulting in slightly larger, but very quick file.

Please be aware 7z does not store user permissions etc, as per the manual, if that is important; any files extracted will be fair game
(file I tested with, was archived by usera with rw-rw-r and extracted by userb with rw-rw-r and userb’s user and group settings)

1 Like

I just noticed this page: Zabbix install from sources
What is the difference between this and using the SRPMs mentioned above? Would this maybe ork better for me?

Is anyone else having issues where you get stuck the activities menu if you open activities in gnome?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=257235
It’s apparently an issue, but not with gnome, rather it’s an issue with dash to panel

looking at the github issues page, it has been reported

Looking at the referenced issue

The Dash to Panel devs seemed have the issue fixed in the master version, but it doesn’t appear to be pushed to the version on the gnome shell extensions page

To solve the issue, I have temporarily disabled the activities menu. As an alternative, I am currently using arcmenu to search and launch applications.
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1228/arc-menu/

I have also have the no top left corner extension to prevent accidental activities activation
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/118/no-topleft-hot-corner/

1 Like

I recently had issues upgrading docker from fedora 31 to fedora 32
This guide was helpful in installing docker on fedora 32

I had previously used the guide by docker, but I think it didn’t translate well

I had issues when running the dnf upgrade command since the docker had an older repo I had added on fedora 31

sudo dnf upgrade                                                                                                                                                                                 (base) 
Docker CE Stable - x86_64                                                                                                                                                                                     1.7 kB/s | 384  B     00:00    
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'docker-ce-stable':
  - Status code: 404 for https://download.docker.com/linux/fedora/32/x86_64/stable/repodata/repomd.xml
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'docker-ce-stable': Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried
Ignoring repositories: docker-ce-stable
Last metadata expiration check: 0:22:04 ago on Sun 16 Aug 2020 11:36:32 AM CDT.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

to get rid of the docker-ce-stable repo, I followed the dnf disable commands from the fedora dnf guide
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/23/html/System_Administrators_Guide/sec-Managing_DNF_Repositories.html
which looked like this

dnf config-manager --set-disabled docker-ce-stable

now when I run the dnf upgrade command, my shell outputs the following

udo dnf upgrade                                                                                                                                                                                 (base) 
Last metadata expiration check: 0:24:58 ago on Sun 16 Aug 2020 11:36:32 AM CDT.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

Yep

1 Like

What do you Mean I should Read the Fabulous manual…

Well, I just realized that not everyone has gpg keys set up. I’ve been using it for so long and since all my coworkers use em, I just sorta assume it’s commonplace. Sorry!

But yes, man gpg is great.

2 Likes

I genuinely thought the new GnuGPG might have a central place, like a github section, or some central pace, mostly because the command didn’t pass a key file.

Compiling and installing a program from source doesn’t put it in your RPM database, which means you don’t have a listing of where/what files were installed, and you can’t do nice stuff like verify the checksums of the installed files. If other RPMs depend on it, they will think it’s not installed and refuse to install. etc. You can certainly try it, it’s possible your problems are only with rpmbuild and you might get past that.

1 Like