The small linux problem thread

Physical. Why do you ask?

I can’t get it to connect under wine.

https://www.image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/il_remote.htm

woops maybe i was supposed to post here?

Hi everyone, Its been 1 plus months since I started the linux challenge :penguin: . I used iTunes for uploading to my iphone family photos and movies :woman_climbing: . What would be the ubuntu alternative to itunes? If somehow I get to install itunes on ubuntu (wine), can I upload content into my phone? Sorry, still a normie on this subject :woman_facepalming:.

For some reason the NVME drive my WIndows install is on is unreadable under Linux, but boots its Windows install fine (using it’s own boot loader no less). Also readable if I pass it through to a VM, but Linux can’t read the partition table - KDE Partition Manager says none found and GParted throws “Invalid argument during seek” followed by saying that the backup GPT partition is corrupt, using primary and displays a completely unallocated disk.

Has the exact same problem.

I just set this up a week ago to get pictures from my iPhone to external storage. See link for 5 minute description of how I solved it.

If you’re interested in doing something’s similar let me know I’m happy to provide a better guide.

1 Like

I think his problem was getting stuff onto his phone, not off it.

For reference: Shotwell (installed by default on Ubuntu) imports pictures and movies from iPhones automatically. Just connect the phone to the computer with a USB cable, launch Shotwell, and it should auto-detect the phone and offer to import everything. No need to configure anything, or jump through any hoops.

I would have assumed that most photo managers on most distros would be able to get images/movies off iOS and Android devices quite smoothly by now.

No idea about the reverse process though — all of my roads lead out of Apple’s walled gardens.

For music, try Rhythmbox if you are using gnome3.

I like clementine. It looks like copying files to an iPhione is supported, while copying from it is not. The page was last updated in 2014, so no idea if things have changed.

I see now. Misread problem.

Never knew about Shotwell. Thanks for the suggestion. However, now I’m spoiled can upload my pics wirelessly :wink:

disable module-device-restore in default.pa configuration

may also help to delete old device-volumes database file
and then restart Pulseaudio to generate a new one:

rm /.config/pulse/*device-volumes.tdb && systemctl --user restart pulseaudio

1 Like

anyone know of a deal like shareLaTeX but for groff? I guess I could use syncthing… somehow. Was just wondering if there was a premade deal out there that you all have used

Thanks! Will give this a try :grin:

Edit: It didn’t work unfortunately. I even disabled it in /etc/pulse/default.pa

Why is your home folder also btrfs ?

1 Like

Because its a RAID10 and I like snapshots

2 Likes

Lvm does snapshots

1 Like

cool, so does BTRFS

1 Like

not trolling, really, but does btrfs still mangle raid5?

yes, dont use 5/6 on BTRFS

3 Likes

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID56

So some work has been done but still unsafe for metadata. You can MDADM a raid5 and then just put BTRFS on the partition.

#Edit: Don’t think Raid 5 is too high on the list of things to do - no one should be using this with high capacity drives anyway.

2 Likes