The small BSD problem thread

Depends what it is, but the “BSD way” is that any configuration settings are in:

• /etc

and those files are copied from/override settings that are listed in

• /etc/defaults

i.e., /etc/defaults contains config files with every setting explicitly spelled out with its default setting specified. anything in /etc is read after /etc/defaults and thus over-rides what is set in /etc/defaults

so, either remove the specific configuration file from /etc, or hash everything out in it and you should get the defaults from /etc/defaults.

same goes for ports - they use /usr/local/etc/defaults or /usr/local/etc. as appropriate in general.

I’d recommend any FreeBSD user to have a look at the configuration files in /etc/defaults - as they can give you an idea of what configuration options CAN be set.

2 Likes

I forget and am lazy to look, was someone trying to install OpenBSD on a pi?

https://bijanebrahimi.github.io/blog/installing-openbsd-63-on-raspberry-pi-3.html

1 Like

I forgot to ask sooner, what version are you running? If it is a snapshot build that might explain the breakage.

You can remove all the non-system packages and configuration with one easy command:
rm -rf /usr/local
or just rewrite the pi image at that point. Not too much setup involved was there?

3 Likes

No, borked almost straight from the start.
I’m running Freebsd 12.0RELEASE
I’ve run the command you wrote and now it says that pkg isn’t installed and that it’s already installed when I try to install it. Haha oh, joy xD

1 Like

I’m trying to make freebsd work normally on Pi3b+ fwiw…

2 Likes

pkg isn’t installed after you run that command. nothing is installed. do what it’s telling you, pkg-static install -f pkg

1 Like

@freqlabs, here you go. The whole command history.

P.S.: I’m not chonky, the shirt is oversized, I swear!

3 Likes

Oh derp. also remove /var/db/pkg
And I guess pkg-static and pkg swapped locations in freebsd 12, that explains the pkg-static not found. Weird I did not notice that until now. So that’s why the pkg-static commands haven’t been working as expected

4 Likes

YES! That worked! Gnome is installing. Thanks a bunch :smiley:
This just turned from 1 year FreeBSD setup challenge to an actual 1 Year FreeBSD Challenge
If I could buy you a beverage, I would!

5 Likes

oh got ya, I did see a video on FreeBSD too but looks like you got it working! @freqlabs coming in clutch with the knowledge!

2 Likes

Bringing this one back to life…

I am playing with OpenBSD. I am installing it on a server with 3 SSDs which I intended to use as a 3-way mirror. The benefit of a 3-way mirror (especially in the absence of CoW and/or checksum functionality in FFS) is that you can easily evaluate a mismatch block. Unless something is really wrong, if you have corruption on one disk, it will be obvious because the other 2 disks will match. Compare this to a normal mirror where you have a mismatch and don’t necessarily know which block is correct.

Anyway, I am able to create the raid1 with the 3 disks easy enough. However, the resulting storage appears to have 150% storage of a single disk. So it is is mirroring 1 and a half disk to the other 1 and a half disk which is… not useful. I am guessing this is some sort of opinionated behavior on the part of OpenBSD which can’t be avoided, but figured I’d drop a line in this old thread to see if anyone knew something I didn’t.

The command to create the raid is:
bioctl -c 1 -l sd0a,sd1a,sd2a softraid0

The resulting raid device is sd5 (sd3 and sd4 are usb sticks)

I didn’t actually check the size at that point, but when I go to install the OS, the partitions add up to roughly 380GB (these are 256GB disks with ~20% unformatted for garbage collection).

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 14.38.22

I have an OpenBSD box that doesn’t like its Intel 82599 SFP+ card. The interfaces show up, but both have a mac address of 00:00:00:00:00:00, and no connectivity. Tried giving them arbitrary and random mac addresses but no difference.

oO.o,

Does dmesg produce any sort of output?

Best regards,

vhns