The Search for A community Project

I think it would be cool to find like a small business or non profit and make a website or software for them. I think it would be easier for a first project from the community to be from scratch.

Would anybody know any non profits or small businesses that would like a website?

The alternative we could make a app the community would like.

1 Like

go to https://www.reddit.com/r/dailyprogrammer/

Daily programming challenges.

I am more looking for something the community could do for either ourselves or somebody else.

Does said non profit or small business have to be located in the US?

I suppose it would have to be, unless we have someone available to do translations.

There is this doctor out in Indonesia that provides free healthcare to people in need. Basically all you need to do to get the healthcare is give the clinic recyclable garbage and in return you get serviced by the clinic. The clinic then sells the recyclable garbage to keep its doors open and provide medication and stuff.

From what I have seen they do not have a website. There is a video done by NHK below that gives a glimpse of the clinic and what they do.

Exceprt from the Youtube show more/less box thing:

In the east of the island of Java, Indonesia, is a unique clinic known as the "Garbage Clinic". The clinic encourages local people from impoverished areas to bring recyclable trash to the clinic which they can deliver in exchange for free medical consultations. The clinic opened in 2013, at the instigation of Dr. Gamal Albinsaid (27), who not only encouraged his colleagues to take part but also gathered corporate donations.

Approximately 10% of Indonesia's population lives in poverty. While medical insurance is available, it is not very widespread and coverage amongst underprivileged people is rare. 4 years after opening the clinic, the number of registered residents has exceeded 250. Dr. Albinsaid has also set up a system that allows patients with serious conditions to receive treatment at nearby major hospital. He plans to open another clinic later this year. He is also starting home visits. We follow the work of Dr. Gamal Albinsaid and his colleagues as they look to provide medical services to people in need.

1 Like

We could look into something like that. Like you said we would need somebody to translate. Otherwise this is the think I am looking for. I am hoping to get together some people from this community to do something like that and Wendell would make a video about it or ect.

After some more ideas like this are given I will give it a vote and who would be interested on working on the project after we have decided on the project?

1 Like

If it were a hobby OS I'd still push icaros. They are so fucking close to being amazing they just need a little boost. Redox isn't meant to be a desktop system, the guy even said that, and neither is menuet (though it would be cool). Haiku is a long ways off and just needs a swift kick in the hardware support. And isn't Kolibri just Menuet?

1 Like

Ya Kolibri is a fork of Menuet.

I'm looking at Icaros now.

:frowning: Awww. I did not know this. I just saw the demo videos on youtube by some guy that does not record his voice. Its like those youtube tutorials from back in the day.

1 Like

Yeah theres an interview Lundeke did with him. Though his work is getting ported to the linux kernel which is super cool.

1 Like

I would like to do something with Linux but I think for our first community project with a small app from scratch like either a website or soothing to keep track of finances or something. I might be down when I have taken my operating systems class and I have more of an idea of what we are dealing with.

Laptop gpu switching app. Most useful thing ever.

I think I could get behind that, I assume we would just need to use an interface with the OS and create a program around that?

This is a good idea... I was thinking about something with unreal editor 4 ... since there is little to no support for linux games etc...make a "porting" modual from unreal editor 4 to linux... to really help boost the game making industry for linux. I think the reason why so very little high end games for linux is people are scared to attempt it. Just my two cents though.

I mean we just pop terminal commands in but have a GUI for it. Would have to run sudo.

I am no programmer and can't really contribute but I have been reading this interesting thread.

I just had a dumb (or good IDK) idea for a community project.
How about something along the lines of Folding@Home where L1T members can connect all of our PC's into some kind of network, to combine all of our computing power to a common goal?

I don't know if this is possible or legal with the L1T rules and TOS. Even though I can't program I would be willing to contribute my CPU cycles to accomplish something useful. I was trying to think of a 'for example' project. This is the first somewhat feasible yet challenging idea I thought up.

An Earth weather simulation so we can check the actual weather vs. our simulated results. By using many networked L1T PC's we may be able to approximate the power of the super computers that are often used to run this kind of thing. Just an idea.

WARNING: Firefox reports this link as insecure.
https://opensource.gsfc.nasa.gov/projects/GEOS-5/#software

" The functional goals of GEOS-5 include advancing the state of the art of weather and climate modeling by componentizing global modeling software. "

This seems to be a distributive systems type or application. I am sure its legal since the program is beyond LV1. It sounds like a good idea for down the road but I would like a small project to start off with so that I can get some people motivated for future projects like that.

I think we are going to do this idea because its small enough to get started. I think we need a small project to start with to give people some motivation and confidence that this thing will work out.

Now we just need to get some people together to do it.

@Eden
if I get a gang of programmers together for this small project could we create a LV1 Github account?

I'll install mono then :stuck_out_tongue:

Its kind of a busy time for school for me but I will see what I can do. Would you know any people in this community that would want to contribute? Even thought its a small project I would like to do some elicitation and design. What language should we do it in? We may need to write some C code possibly for the OS interface and then we could do like a C# or something else to wrap around a .dll file for the GUI.

lol we're on 2 separate tracks. I was thinking for linux :stuck_out_tongue: becuase managing switchable GPU's here is a bitch. Its a bitch on Windows too, but at least its in a menu.

I just thought that if you wanted to compile a program and call it from another program the standard was .dll across all platforms. Also C# works on Linux as well if you thought only worked on Windows.