The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

Alright, turns out I’m an idiot. … again
Or Asus is. Depends on how you look at it.

I thought it should be enough for the motherboard to detect the new memory after switching and just enabling D.O.C.P again. Big fat nope, it seems to remember some of the subtimings and that was probably causing my issues. I have to confirm it still but it makes sense to me.

This might also have been the case for Steve in his Ryzen 5 2600 video.

… goddammit. It just threw another error in prime.
Ryzen 7 2700 @ stock, Trident-Z 3200 C14, Asus prime X370 pro with UEFI 4008.
Reset to default settings and then enable D.O.C.P. Nothing else.

I should be getting the ASRock B350 ITX today, hopefully that board will fix this shit.
If it is the CPU, I would be a bit pissed.

WOW! I just tried to max out the CPU fan to rule out temps as an issue and prime was just spitting errors everywhere. Gonna plug the fans into molex (#FUCKYOUMOLEX) and try again.

WTF?

So after plugging the fans into molex (tFCKtMlx!!) I am still getting prime errors but far far less than when the fans where maxed out on the board.

… I don’t even … wha?

OK, to change it up a bit … I just got some … stuff.

Remember this one?

Well, guess what is going inside of it…
It’s gonna be the clown-car of Ryzen 7 systems. xD

2 Likes

Build process pics please. Curious how that layout is going to work.

1 Like

What GPU is that? I wanna say Vega 56, but it’s kinda hard to tell from just that view.

R9 Nano.

What do you mean? There is tons of space obviously. … DUH!

Well … ok, here is a more realistic view:

But the closest thing so far is not due to the case but the cooler.

Yes, I can slide paper through that. But … holy shit, Noctua! xD

The R9 Nano is a wonderful, insane, hot and loud, beautiful card. Good choice!

All the better for cooling, my dear.

Linux support is looking good so far on Ryzen gen 2:

the overall Linux experience has been great for launch day with no problems to report when using modern Linux distributions aside from the k10temp driver reporting incorrect CPU temperatures at least as of the Linux 4.16 kernel.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-2600x-2700x&num=1

One person in the comments reported MCE errors with the 2700X on an X370 board.

1 Like

Hey, I have just a small question about ryzen.

Since I’m probably going to build a new PC in this year I’ll probably go with ryzen.
But then, how much RAM can I put on that thing? Is 64 GB max or can I buy even more later by using larger sticks of ram?

64 for non-threadripper platforms yeah.

My ITX build is alive. Probably gonna make a thread for it so it doesn’t get lost in here.

1 Like

Um… source? I posted that question because of this:

That implies that Ryzen should be able to support more than 64 GB of RAM, but there is just no such sticks available right now.
On the other hand ASUS website https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/specifications/ implies that 64 GB of ram is the maximum.
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

I’m just curious if I would ever get more than 64 GB on that CPUs (maybe 128GB?).

What makes you say that? X370 is Dual Channel, X399 is Quad. X370 is 64GB cap, X399 is 128GB cap.

Maybe if 32GB DIMMS come out, but I’m not sure that any will.

3 Likes

Ryzen does much better in gaming with tuned latencies:

1 Like

That is really nice to see. I hope we will see this leading to more memory profiles on the mainboard side. I know I won’t manually set every single subtiming but … hey ASRock, you have plans for the next weeks? :wink:

He is a little late to the party but its still good.

2 Likes

Mindblank really gets into it with trying things though. I’ll have to watch that one later.

Good video and it shows again how little there is to gain with a manual overclock.
Basically get a 2600/2700 for SFF and one of the X models if you have cooling.
And don’t bother overclocking.

I had ordered two 2700 initially because I didn’t want to deal with the temp offset when overclocking. I haven’t opened the second one and I will switch that for a 2700X. This generation is basically the exact opposite of the first one.

Interesting results from Phoronix on the new BIOS revision for the C7H, and probably good news for a lot of folks on this forum:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-2700x-bios

1 Like

Videos coming out left and right still:

I do agree. The news is AMD have made a CPU out of the box for the everyman hits max clocks. Intel K parts etc are for the nerds.

AMD is hitting a win hear making there processors just work well. Its only us tech enthusiast that know this now. It will bleed into mainstream and AMD will be the simple build a computer and it run at max.

I am interested in what intel will do vs AMD’s CPU at max out of the box.