The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

If the rule didn’t change dramatically with Ryzen+, do yourself a favor and buy B-Die.

Well that makes it pretty easy, Ryzen 7 2700.

1 Like

Samsung B-die ram is currently just about always better RAM regardless of the CPU.

This applies to Intel, AMD and any ARM, etc Chips. :smiley:

1 Like

More than a year in, is that still a thing?
B-Die modules are very rare to come by, even if they were around they would be costing at least double the price over here…

I can tell you that running non B-Die my CPU is spitting out errors in mprime when it hits around 70°C. So yeah, the memory controller definitely has a better time with the good stuff. I ran other memory for a long time and had no real issues but B-Die is faster, snappier and less stress for the CPU.

I can’t help you with prices unfortunately.

2 Likes

Hmm, i’ll see what i can come up with, maybe with luck i’ll find something that is still in the price range.
Thanks for the info!

Relevant thing is relevant:

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

4 Likes

Thanks a lot Steinwerks!

Hanging out on Reddit pays off once in a while :joy:

2 Likes

Indeed it seems!
Unfortunately every single model on the list is waaaaaay beyond my budget, some even cost more than R$2000, ay!

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1804.1/06654.html

was hoping 4.17 would bring support for 2400G but I guess not yet?

Someone got ahold of a 2709X early it seems:

I like that he did clock vs clock comparisons, showing some nice improvements but nothing Earth-shattering.

3 Likes

1.33 to 1.35V for 4.2GHz. Pretty nice.
And the reduced cache latency seems to do quite a bit.

If he is right about the higher RAM speeds on X470, I might switch my high end system to the Taichi ultimate.

Considering the 2700X boosts to max clocks on a x370 board. Will be interesting how the x470 boards boost with XFR2. Gaming wise that will be a big help for AMD. Most games only max a few cores.

For productively there is always the all core overclock.

Ryzen based laptops

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12654/dell-launches-amd-ryzen-based-inspiron-13-7000-2in1-convertible

Good news. I’d love to see an XPS 13 with a 2700u though. :confused:

4 Likes

That is exactly what I thought. Top tier models or GTFO.

“YAY, we are making Ryzen laptops but they don’t sell that good.”

No shit, that is because you only make the crappy ones into Ryzen laptops.
Well, lets say the casual consumer sub-brands…

4 Likes

I’ve got to say, the Acer Swift 3 would be a great laptop if it didn’t have that fucking glossy screen. Seriously. It’s 2018 and someone thought "Oh, I’ll put a glossy screen on this. No one would ever use this in a room with any amount of light, let alone outside. "

That person needs to be fired. They ruined a perfectly good laptop. I mean, they’ve got an overengineered cooling solution, a 2700u option, it comes with a 500GB SSD, it’s everything I need, except that fucking screen. Hell, I’m even tempted to buy it and try to mod the screen.

I’m not sure anyone’s ready to commit to putting AMD in a flagship yet. And understandably so, but the 2500u/2700u are excellent CPUs. They really should attempt it.

Moreover, let’s look at what’s happening here. Enthusiasts aren’t buying the Ryzen laptops because we don’t want to pay $800 for a laptop that’s not really built to last. I mean, I’ve beat my xps 13 to hell and back and the thing is perfectly fine except for a slight dent in the corner and a mild nick on the side from a wayward throwing knife. This lack of interest in the crappy laptops is causing the manufacturers to think that “oh, no one wants to buy AMD”, which is absolutely not the case. I would pay a ton of money to get my hands on any manufacturers flagship that’s got AMD in it.

Okay, rant over.

2 Likes

Part of me wants to bag a 2700x and then find a good home (friend or family) for my 1700

3.9 seems to be the realistic max before the temps / noise gets a little worrying

and that is with

• H90
  • liquid metal
  • a REALLY good airflow case

I cant complain as overclocking is always a risk and you never really know what the chip will do until you push it.

1 Like

I’m hitting 3.8 on the 1700 with stock cooler and 55C under load. The limits on Ryzen have always been silicon, not thermals.

Don’t forget the non-upgradeable (single channel?) RAM…

I returned a HP X360 Envy with the 2500U because of bad quality control and parts decisions. I loved the 2500U and the upgradeability to 32GB RAM, plus an NVMe slot and 2.5" bay. But it had the worst display I’ve ever seen. (dim + terrible colors + garbage backlight bleed) I kept getting the feeling that parts would break down on me.

1 Like