The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

When i upgraded my actual dual core Athlon II I bought a Phenom II X2 and unlocked it. Worked fine up to 3.6GHz.

1 Like

Nice! A new 8 core instead of my 1600x would be nice.

1 Like

Anyone else hoping for some IMC improvements/refinement? Otherwise I’m pretty happy with performance on my 1700X and probably won’t bother upgrading.

Ryzen2 seems to be coming in April.

Official AMD press release:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/ces-2018-2018jan07.aspx

And a short video.

3 Likes

AMD have also price dropped Ryzen right after I got one, the bastards…

Also the APUs have been announced but they are only 4 cores… Why no 6 core 95W nobody knows. 4 core 65W it is…

1 Like

because they can’t fit 6c on 1 die yet, and 1 die is reserved for ‘vega’. Do note that the APUs are faster and ~same price as the 1200/1400 MSRP.

1 Like

I do believe there is some space in there for some vega stuff…
But yeah, I see your point…

amd gets hit with trivial bug.

i am not clear on whether the TPM is onboard or a separate chip.

edit
note :
trivial to exploit if you have physical access. not a trivial (meaning low priority) bug.

It requires physical access to exploit apparently. And by that point you already have something seriously wrong.

1 Like

Nice timing to take advantage of the bad Intel situation. But then they cynic in me wonders if there getting rid of these 1gen Ryzens for updated models with less PSP issues. I would at this point wait for a refresh before buying another CPU.

Correct. The RCE title used is not the most accurate.
It’s technically an RCE from the point of view that’s it done from outside of the PSP, but that still means physical access to the system itself in this case.

As for timing. It’s purely coincidence. 90 day release window from time of reporting the issue.

Is there an easy list anywhere of AMD CPU or APU’s that have PSP hardware installed out of interest.

Family 16h and 17h. It’s that easy.

1 Like

Thanks. Would kernal patches or firmware mitigate or reduce PSP exploits ?

Doesn’t involve the kernel at all actually.

How would a vulnerability in PSP be fixed then?

Firmware update. PSP runs at Ring -2/-3 and is never touched by the OS.

via BIOS then.

1 Like

You got it :wink: