The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

I have an overclocking question. I have a 1800X in a Crosshair VI Hero. The CPU is cooled by a Fractal Design Kelvin S36 (360mm AIO, no variable pump speed).

I can go 3.9 GHz on all cores with a 0.0250V bump (so my voltage is between 1.35V and 1.40V), LLC 1 and 140% max current draw. When I run prime95, the CPU temp stabilize around 72C, and my fans spin around 40-50%, so there is thermal headroom.

When I try to go 4 GHz, even if I give it a fixed 1.45V, prime95 crashes the system in 10 seconds. The lower the voltage, the sooner the crash (at 1.35V fixed, it is almost instant).

Is there any trick to stabilize the CPU at 4 GHz?

Don’t run prime? :stuck_out_tongue:

But again, honestly, is it that important to you? 2.5% clock speed? For what?

I am just curious how far I can go. I probably wouldn’t push much further than what I have now, because I don’t want to degrade or kill the CPU. I plan to use this one for at least 3 years (unless a new generation of CPU comes out that significantly outperforms this one).

I am still running an i7-2600 (non K) at 4.4Ghz. Single core performance is on par with a Ryzen chip and that is 6 years on. However, sandy bridge in particular and Ivy bridge after that, was one chip design that has managed to stay relevant for an extended period where nothing that has gone before or come along since has managed to still be relevant 6 years on.

I hope that you don’t expect these current ryzen R7 chips to be relevant 6 years on to mainstream users? I am not talking about relegation to run in a NAS or some such, but as a daily driver for a perfomance user. I can tell you now that it is not likely that it will be simply because the architectural design is flawed for an 8 core chip. This generation will go the same way as nathelm, they will be relevant for a couple of years and then fade away as AMD releases the next gen chip and addresses the design flaw, being the insufficiency of the single interconnect to the memory controller combined with the inherently high memory latency when running an 8c/16t cpu.

I am not talking people into doing anything, I am just trying to tone down the opinions that you are espousing as though they are the immutable rules that everyone must follow.

Yeah and I can surely count on AMD to fix me up with a new chip in three years, right? Oh wait, no I can’t because legally it doesn’t matter what marketing Bob says. Also he doesn’t say anything about 24/7 usage. He says “try not to go higher than 1.425V.” To me that means “ever”. And then he says “you are risking the long term lifetime of your processor by going higher”. … And that sounds redundant. :stuck_out_tongue:

Look, if you are using your CPU “just for gaming” it might be fine and if you already plan on tossing it in a few years then whatever. I might do that with a cheap quadcore myself but it isn’t a nice thing to recommend potentially damaging settings. Don’t be that guy.
[/quote]

It is you who shouldn’t be that guy, We don’t need the overclock police to dictate what we can and cannot do with the hardware that we have spent out money on.

Taking what you said here is arguing that everyone should run their PC at stock volts because it costs 390euro. What you are saying is your opinion, which you are quite entitled to share with the forum. However, you need to take a breath and realize that opinions are like sphincters. everyone has one. No one is forcing you to run your rig with any particular setting. You can run it anyway you choose, as can I and anyone else here.

You realize that 1.3v also degrades your chip compared to stock voltages? the degradation just starts to accelerate exponentially above about 1.425v. Given that I am not likely to be using my CPU in 8-10 years time anyway, the degredation is pretty much irrelevant to the majority of people who decide that they want yto OC their CPUs.

Excellent reference, thank you. Very useful to have a reference to line termination (not seen that anywhere before)

To be fair, the same applies to just pushing the ‘ON’ button :slight_smile:

I agree.

Ryzen documentation on just about all the bios settings is pretty minimal so finding thing like that is an absolute gem

I guess thats true… we should all go live in a cave

:grin:

I didn’t.

Just ran mprime -t (prime95) for almost half an hour on 3.8GHz. Ran a combination of that and gputest /test=fur (furmark) for 20 minutes after that to make sure power is good. Gonna let the system run memtest over a day or two soon. After that I’ll call it stable.

Linus running Cinebench of Threadripper 1950x (See 9:22) :

Ryzen 3 has 4 cores disabled.
Just thinking how the Phenom II X3 some could activate that 4th core, how 4 gb 480’s could be turned into 8gb models.
Wouldn’t it be nice…

This is so fucking glorious. I love the steps and shit you need to go through and how totally baller it looks on there. The Ryzen Threadripper branding is amazing.

I know you don’t see it all after installation but damn it does really make it feel special when you are putting it in

We talking CPUs or your dick in a suit?

Both

Holy FUCK it’s here. I can’t believe it’s actually available. Here are the prices for the EU market:
Threadripper:
https://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php?search_query=threadripper&x=0&y=0
Mobos:
https://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Mainboards/Desktop+Mainboards/AMD+Sockel+TR4.html

Ryzen 7 1700 vs. Core i7-7820X

Question: I have some registered ECC DDR4 here and would like to put it to use in a kind of low power NAS. Is there a chance for Ryzen to get that stuff going on some boards? Or is registered just not gonna happen?

Forget that, just saw memory prices and I think I’m gonna try to sell it.

oops! Asus and Asrock accidentally confirm threadripper 1920. Both manufacturers mention the CPU in their list of compatible processors.

12 cores with 24 threads, 3.2 GHz clock speed (I believe), 140 watt tdp and 32 MB L3 cache,

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#CPU

Is there a Ryzen APU thread as well? I haven’t seem to have been able to find one.

No idea but … I mean it is still Ryzen, right?