The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

Simple fact is if you wanna be safe, go 2667 on two single rank dimms. That works. Always.
All boards running higher memory clocks have a separate clock gen.

Just sharing some experiences with my Ryzen 1700 build, as testing have somewhat settled down.

I'm presently satisfied with 3.8 GHz at an offset VCore of +0.150 and a fixed SOC at 1.20V. Which, importantly, results in a measured top VCore of 1.373 when stress testing using AIDA64. 3.9 GHz on this individual chip seems to require a real world voltage of well over 1.40 which doesn't make me comfortable right now.

I went for the offset VCore rather than fixed in order to achieve a lower power consumption for everyday use, which in turn keeps the noise at a minimum outside high loads. (it drops down to 0.53)
It's possible to run an offset for the SOC voltage as well, but I had stability problems when trying that for a bit and haven't found a way to measure SOC voltage live within Windows either. It's not a huge amount of resulting power either way.

I expected to but never used AMD's Ryzen Master overclocking software, mostly because my Windows installation complains about an unsigned driver in the software package. Otherwise I guess it could have shortened my testing period a bit. It hasn't helped that for whatever reason my gaming monitor won't display the BIOS picture right unless I switch from DisplayPort to HDMI, which is a bit...

On the RAM side I might have been a bit too eager to build me a system with 64GB of RAM, as I seem to be left with running my four sticks at 2133. But that's also what you can end up with being an early adopter of a platform, not waiting for reviews and RAM certifications to be finalised. Still loving the 64GB of RAM. And 2133 is still above the officially supported Ryzen RAM speed for four dual ranked DIMM's, so I can't knock this Asus Prime X370 Pro motherboard for it either.

On the sofware testing side I have been using Process Lasso a lot in order to follow the behavior of programs and games. It's been both informative and fun (has geek much?), but yesterday I decided it was okay to forgo using it. The thing is that even if the Windows thread scheduler does sometimes put a thread of for instance a game on the "logical" core instead of the physical one, I haven't seen any resulting practical performance loss on my system (it does not double-load both the physical and the logical). And we can't mitigate the performance limit of the Infinity Fabric by juggling cores anyway.
As I'm gaming at 1440p I don't think that I'll have any reason to revisit this factor, until I've gotten my dual Vega cards. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (now I'm kidding...)

1 Like

As mentioned in other threads I've finished my Ryzen build and it's awesome :slight_smile:
It's clearly an improvement compared to my old 2500k - even though it was oc'd; W3 for example more or less stays at 60fps (well it does drop down due to AMD Chill, but well that's because of something else xD)
Also, water cooling it was definitely worth it - my CPU just stays at 33° and doesn't even care if I'm gaming. That being said, I haven't really stress tested it.
I know this post isn't really coherent, but then again, this it the "Ryzen whatever thread" :smiley:

1 Like

As of now my 1700X with X370 Gaming K4 is clocked stable at 3.85Ghz 1.344V Vcore. This using P-state OC with BIOS 2.00.

Max Temp (Tdie) is about (70C) Using AIDA64 stress test. This being on a somewhat shonky cooler install where I should reapply the thermal paste. ( I put on way too much).

As for RAM I think I have something funky happening. It is able to POST 2666MHz on 4 DIMMS some of the time, other times it only posts at 2133Mhz. Not sure what might be causing it, but will investigate this over the weekend and update everyone.

2 Likes

Nice to know it's better than the 2500K, glad it's awesome for you :slight_smile:

"I know this post isn't really coherent" , I feel like that with Ryzen, still waiting to get a AM4 board I feel confident to buy or is even available, should hope there is a ship full on the way.

After long a go water mishap am banned by her in doors from water systems, I like air cooling its been good over the long term for me and will stick with it. The custom water loops do look nice and would like to play it's not really my price range now, thats my excuse.

AMD post on increased Memory dividers greater than 3200 coming in the May update. This was previously posted in the thread by @anon25377527.

BTW, I am not in the habit of just making stuff up. Besides this information was already in the thread.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/14/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-system

New Ryzen Balanced power plan update:

A little background is needed

AMD Ryzen processors feature AMD SenseMI technology, a sophisticated package of sensing and adapting features that (amongst other capabilities) allow the underlying microarchitecture to rapidly execute fine adjustments to voltage and frequency for peak performance. These changes can occur as quickly as 1 millisecond on an AMD Ryzen CPU. However, this intended functionality depends on the integrated power management in Ryzen being in absolute control. After all, nothing knows the hardware better than the hardware itself!

Transitions between frequencies and voltages are governed by “P-States.” P-states are frequency/voltage combinations requested by the operating system. Processors receive these requests all the time, and act on them by selecting matching states built into the hardware.

The Windows-default Balanced plan, in the interest of balancing power and performance, sets higher thresholds and longer timers for transitions into faster P-states than the High Performance plan. This can sometimes limit how quickly our processor responds to “go faster” promptings from high-demand applications.

Secondly, the default Balanced plan attempts to park all logical processors beyond the first 10% whenever possible. On an 8C16T AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, for example, logical processor 0 (physical core) and logical processor 1 (SMT core) stay awake, while the remaining 14 logical processors can be parked at any time. Resuming from a parked state has a latency cost that can affect performance, too.

The AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan

Because of these findings, the new AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan reduces the timers and thresholds for P-state transitions to improve clockspeed ramping. This lets the hardware take full control more often. We’ve also disabled core parking for more wakeful cores. As you can see in the chart below, the performance gains can be substantial—on par with the High Performance plan, in fact!

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

Direct Link:

https://community.amd.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/38-70650/Ryzen_Balanced_Power_Plan.zip

:cough: 16 + 32 Core Zen Chip incoming

:cough: 4x8 CCX

:sneeze: some 12 Core too

:atshu:

1 Like

I dont think that is a secret. AMD have already announced at least the 16 core a couple of weeks ago

Anything Ryzen eh.. ok lol
When a vowel is followed by a consonant, and immediately followed by another vowel... the first vowel is hard sound and the second vowel is soft sound... like Peter, donut or Ryzen... (the hard sound of a vowel is its natural state, or how you pronounce the letter alone in the alphabet. There is a couple of exceptions to the rule,,, as the english language is full of exceptions... in the case of a consonant being pronounced in its secondary state... like the "S" secondary state is actually a "Z" sound, like the word "risen", not to be confused with Ryzen.
How do you pronounce LINUX.

Off-topic

Is this a test?

According to your explanation, it would be pronounced "lie-nuhx," which just grates my ears, even though it sounds more like Linus. I recently heard this pronunciation and cringed. Another one I've heard is "len-ecks." (Please shoot me now.) It's pronounced "lin-icks," dammit! Unix is pronounced, "yewn-icks," so it would make sense that Linux would follow a similar pronunciation, but English is English and breaks rules whenever it feels like.

Ah, the pitfalls of the English language.

I bring Ryzen 5 1600X 3200MHz Samsung B-die and a C6H

Why 22x 99.8MHz?

99.8MHz "bus clock" seems to be the default for this platform, and only motherboards with a separate clock generator could run differently.

Are clock generators these things I find on motherboards?

Errr. No.... That's for the BIOS Hex Code output. Also goes by the name of "Dr. Debug". Complementary to BIOS Beep codes when an error happens.

Clock generators are a different thing entirely. There a realtime clock generators that keep track of time and date, there are clock generators that define the base reference clocks (frequencies) for the CPU and RAM buses.

1 Like

I was just wondering what it was, because only the expensive ones like Crosshair VI have it. I thought the expensive ones had external clock generators.

I feel stupid as that was my first guess. My second guess was the external clock generator.

External clock generators are useful for extreme overclocking because you can use the boards reference bus clock instead of the internal CPU clock generator. There are many complicated electronic engineering concepts associated with it. But the main reason for external clock generators are thermal stability. Clock generators often need to be kept at a nice constant temperature to remain the most stable.

Being outside the CPU is useful for extreme overclocking (think liquid nitrogen) where cooling the reference clock generator down too much would cause it to run out of spec.

It's also has many other benefits, mainly associated with overclocking. It's safe to say though that you won't really need one if you confused the debug display with an external reference clock generator :wink:

Well as I added the clock generator was my second guess. I know I dont need it, but it was just something I asked someone in teamspeak and they apparently were trolling me. Like I said I feel stupid because two days ago I new exactly what that is. Now I trust a trolling friend that trolls me all the time. :frowning:

Anyways I could make use of it because it would be nice to see error codes, but my motherboard being a cheaper x370 lacks it.

1 Like

Wikipedia has your back:

Usually for CPU's clock generators take the form of a Phase Locked Loop (PLL) clock generator

If you google and read your way around you can soon outsmart your trolling friend with a solid understanding of clock generators. :wink:

As for the Debug display, I have an ASRock X370 Gaming K4 but it's honestly not all that useful, usually the PC's behaviour and beep codes are enough for me to know whats up. Another problem is that there really isn't any good documentation for the hex debug codes on ryzen boards.

And something a bit more complex talking about a simple PLL clk generator circuit.