The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

The 270x is definitely not a terrible gpu. I was personally using a 280x up until a few weeks ago, and they perform pretty similarly. At 1080p, it is most definitely sufficient. I would definitely advise against going with an Rx 460 though, should you really want freesync support. The lower vram and overall performace might not seem like that big of a deal right now, but as things get harder to run, you will likely start regretting it soon enough. Plus, it really limits you as far as increasing the resolution that you play at. At least with something like a 470 or a 480, you have the option of playing games relatively well at 1440p, and decently at 4k. Moving up in resolution is honestly the biggest change that I have had in pc gaming/desktop use. It is something that I think that everyone should get around to doing, once the funds are available. So yeah, don't backtrack with gpu performance. But even if you never have any interest for increasing your resolution, it would still likely start to be a big deal with newer games and whatnot. But anyway, money is the biggest deciding factor in any purchasing decision, so do what you can, I guess.

As for Ryzen, I really don't know how much you would need the highest end cpu for rendering and whatnot. If the rumors are to be believed, I don't think that the extra money would be well spent going from the low end 8 core to the high end 8 core. That money could be better spent on a new gpu, or a nice massage, or whatever.

@psycho_666 never mentioned an 8 core part. And I am not even sure how well Vegas is utilizing multiple cores. He might be better off running a 6c/12t with higher clock speed, possibly even 4c/8t.

Not that hyped. Unless my rig breaks down, my 5930K should be good for another 4-5 years. Ryzen's successor will probably be out already by the time I start looking into upgrading.

3 Likes

I am likely mixing things up, but my point remains. The demands that he has for the system don't really seem all that rigorous compared to the performance that we are expecting to see from Zen. I would wait for benchmarks (as always) and would try to keep in mind what exactly it is that you are wanting to get out of the system. Rendering 30 min videos every few days? Does really seem worth it to me to spend an extra few hundred dollars. Just trying to say that keeping solutions relative to the problems in mind when making purchasing decisions, and to not buy things out of frustration or anger. I don't think that getting the best cpu possible would really be all that terrible of a decision, but there are always other places that money can be spent. So you have to really look at your life and needs as a whole and adjust accordingly. The fact that he was considering moving to a 460 leads me to believe that he might be putting a little too much funding into the cpu purchase.

But whatever. Good cpu is good. Fast rendering is good. We are all hoping for the best and a lot of peopel are planning on buying this stuff once it is available. I personally would love to build a new rig based on Zen once I have a few extra dollars sitting around cough $2,000 cough which might be a while, considering my own personal needs and funds and whatnot. I think that the whole tech community as a whole (not just L1T) are all really excited, and I can't wait to see the numbers come next month.

2 Likes

My goal is 6c12t... I can't afford 8c no matter what. If I can get the lowest end 6core I am willing to get the cheapest board I can find. It's easier to upgrade the board than the cpu...

I don't really want to go 460 either... But we shall see. As you said,

That is the ultimate goal...

That is the more realistic goal...

That isn't even worth mentioning. It's a given.

Yeah, I have just seen people get caught up in the hype in the past and ended up making purchases that they later regretted because they basically pre-paid for it. A lot of people did basically that with the last FX line, iirc. So I just want to make sure that everyone has a level head on their shoulders, especially with how much money is being used in a purchase like this.

1 Like

Well, those are just simple plans... If Gigabyte surprise me with decent cheaper board with the same features I would go with them. If Kingston ends up with better cheaper ram than Crucial I may go with them and the entire color thing goes to hell...
That happened with my current system. I was looking at 260X and I found this cheap 270X...
Performance drove me ignoring the black and white theme and going with the toxic...
Still these parts in my first post are the dream team.
Have Adata sp900 black and white and WD black I got really cheap... Everything is in motion. Now - waiting for AMD to deliver.

This still makes you a heretic.

I honestly don't understand why people are calling them Team RED. AMD has been using mostly the black-green combination for their CPU branding. it was ATI that always used red in their design.

1 Like

I don't normally call them team red. But a lots of others do so I am being a sheep /shrug

Red makes it easy to differentiate between the three big chip designers in the desktop market. Green, Red, Blue. Easy. That is all.

Well, they are team red for years now and rightfully so. All CPU boxes come with red as one of the main colors.

There is also the store's return period for defective parts and the manufacturer's warranty that you are eating into without actually using the components, if you got a lemon. I'd much rather buy parts when I can immediately use them instead of waiting...unless there was a really good deal.

I don't get what you mean... I am using everything I have and I am only going to buy the processor, motherboard and ram. Everything else I have in my current system.

Oh well that's different then, isn't it? I didn't see any indication you were running your parts, unlike what OP implied. He gave the impression he has these parts sitting around waiting for Zen and not doing anything until then, which in my opinion is foolish and wasteful.

Oh jesus no. I can't afford to have some parts just sitting around.
Sorry. Should have indicated it's an upgrade path of my current system.

I bought the Intel SSD and the memory, the other parts were in use until I decided to build a RYZEN system. The Fury and the sandisk are from my main rig, the case, PSU and fans are from my secondary dual xeon that has seen less and less action lately and therefor will be sold off.

But I also like foolish and wasteful. Because I'm a good consumer. :P

I wish AMD the best with the launch but just like some people have said it would need to handily beat what they have now to even think about switching. I have my doubts its going to be much better than my current 4790k, but down the line I may switch, time will tell.

Just had to buy a car, so the Ryzen upgrade gets pushed back quite a bit further for me.

So, at least I'll have time to research the line up, and wait for good motherboards to be released...

1 Like

They are supposedly trying to get a Zen based chip on a 7nm process. If you are planning on waiting a while, you might look forward to that. Then again, who knows what the future will hold? They might not ever get it working, it might be many years before it is realized, it might never come about, or the rumors might be unfounded. But first generations of things tend to be significantly worse than the enhanced versions, so you should have a better selection (as well as Intel's response) if you do end up waiting a while.

AMD already said that AM4 will be their platform at least till 2020.