The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

About the core count.
I know from personal testing on my 1800X that if it goes 4+0 performance and clock speeds get shrekt. So the lower end one with 8Mb of cache more than likely, just has half the CCX cache per side.

I don't know why so many people are that surprised about the core layout. AMD can use nearly any die in a product and it is all done in the same process. That is how they can build cost effective. It is one of the biggest benefits of this architecture.

1 Like

That there is a 8MB L3 version tells us nothing about the core layout. Official word from AMD is 2+2. There is no reason they couldn't do a 2+2 with 8MB L3, just disable half the L3 on each core complex.

A quote from that very same article:

We have confirmation from AMD that there are no silly games going to be played with Ryzen 5. The six-core parts will be a strict 3+3 combination, while the four-core parts will use 2+2. This will be true across all CPUs, ensuring a consistent performance throughout.

Edit: Another article with the same information:

The 6 core parts use two 4-core Core Complexes (CCXes) with one core from each disabled. Each core within a CCX has a 2MB slice of level 3 cache, and interestingly, all 16MB of cache are available. The 1500X again uses two CCXes, this time with two cores from each disabled, but again still offers the full 16MB of level 3 cache. The cheapest 1400 part, however, only has 8MB cache.

Where have i see this moar core concept before :)

4 Likes

MOAR COARS CONFIRMED!

What I would like to see is a comparison between a 1060 and a 1080 with a ryzen chip clocked between 3.8 and 4.0ghz Would the fps be higher with a 1060 than a 1080? I get really good fps in most if not all of my games with my 1060 and a 1700 clocked at 3.8ghz.

I posted a thread earlier and it was how I disappointment with Ryzen slightly. Now that I exchanged the motherboard I am getting slighlty better fps in handbrake. I was expecting it being an 8 core to get 10 fps more with hevc. But 5 fps on average is still an improvement.

What was that rumor a month or so ago just before launch that it could hit 5ghz on air. I am hoping that is the 4 core 8thread model to compete with the 7700k.

.... uhm, wrong?

It was CarnardPC. One core overclocked to 5. And not stable, more like a suicide run. According to them it was on air cooling though.

Kinda like those really high Liquid Nitrogen overclocks. They kill a number of CPUs to reach those. "Bench Stable" stable long enough to just run the benchmark, then it is toast.

Also that rumor was from CanardPC lol, who are at best semi-reputable
at worst another wccftech :P

It was an Easter egg in their printed magazine even. Viral marketing thingies. They have only said that they managed to "touch" 5 GHz with one core using a "large air dissipator". Not something that is really feasible.

And yeah, no real proof.

Edit: If you want to read read what they wrote, it is at the end of this peice:

Now that is a bullshit of the highest order...
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/microsoft_is_now_blocking_windows_7_and_8_1_updates_on_ryzen_and_kaby_lake_systems/1

2 Likes

Annoying, but also unsurprising.
Im more surprised/angry at the Windows 8 one than the windows 7 one tbh.

Now we are beginning to realize the backroom stinky deals that have been made.

Microsoft : If you want better support from our os than you have had in the past.

Amd : Okay ? We will help you force everyone on to the win 10 plat.

speculation on my part just by appearances.

This is a decision made by Microsoft and no one else.

How?

this

AMD would like to support the older OSes and did do some testing with them but microsoft is the one with the final say in how the windows OS works.

I see.....They are doing it to everyone. Stand corrected. So windows thinks they have the power.

This has already been stated before even tho the existing intel processors is a surprise. If everyone migrated to Linux and flipped MS the bird, they would change their tune :)

2 Likes

Has anyone tested ryzen on ubuntu with handbrake? I am interested in the results of handbrake hevc transcoding with medium speed, and quality of 23.

2 Likes

Like the reference :)