The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

I need help with regards to Ryzen 5 2400G + Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WIFI. I run into trouble with the graphics driver.
After installing all chipset driver, I went ahead to install the graphics driver that was found from Gigabyte’s site. However my screen turns black and shows that there is no signal from the output. I’m using a HDMI to DVI converter as I don’t have a spare HDMI cable.

Setup:
Ryzen 5 2400G
Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WIFI (latest BIOS, all settings at default)
2 X 4GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 2666MHz

1 Like

Don’t do that. Just use the stuff directly from AMD.
Also, get a proper HDMI cable. They are cheap.

1 Like

Yeah I just found out how stupid it was to not to use the dedicated cable. I had to rip out the cable of my sister’s to test and it was the cable’s problem all along!

2 Likes

Ryzen 7 2700X 8C 16T 105W AM4 40MB w Wraith Prism cooler / UPC: 730143309202
Ryzen 5 2600X 6C 12T 95W AM4 19MB w Wraith Spire Cooler / UPC: 730143309226

Is there any reason to update bios on msi b350 tomahawk? Latest release was 3/12/18 and has agesa 1.0.0.1a. can’t seem to find a changelog of the new agesa update except for basically new processors. Is there any changes/fixes for the 1st Gen ryzen processors or anything?
@wendell you got any info?

thought id try and get my troubleshooting thread in front of some people that may be more familiar with Ryzen

Anyone see this yet? From the looks of things the zen+ refresh might be more interesting than I had originally expected. Obviously taking all this with a grain of salt, as these are just leaks and rumors for now.

Minimal IPC improvements + latency improvements + memory speed + clock speed…
Somewhere in the range of 5 to 15% improvement overall depending on task.

A good product optimized to be a little better in every way.
Typical second gen, think Sandy Bridge. :wink:

Speaking of Sandy Bridge, in April we might see people upgrading from a 2600 to a 2600. xD

For the people wanting to update the price cuts to clear stock has begun.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12539/amd-and-partners-slash-prices-on-select-ryzen-ryzen-threadripper-cpus

Those prices have basically been in place for a while, I think.

I might try to pick up a 1200 for supercheap, like 60 to 70 Euro, because I still have a passive RX460 around that would make for a nice little HTPC. Also not a bad thing to have to update any first gen board.

Has anyone gone passive cooling on Ryzen?

1 Like

Found this Reddit thread that might be of use to you:

Sounds like Passive might be just out of reach, but if you were to do a beefy cooler that you could just spin at 500rpm, it would be about as close to silent as possible.

1 Like

That thread is about a gaming oriented approach. Mine would be more straight up HTPC and maybe retro/light gaming. But thanks. :+1:

I am thinking more of underclocking/undervolting the CPU and putting something stupidly huge on top of it. Should be doable.

I think it’s doable then. If you do this, please report your findings. (a 2400g or whatever might be a candidate as well)

Yeah but since my adventure with the APU in my laptop is still in progress and I already have a passive polaris solution, I would prefer to go classic Ryzen.

I’ll post here if I get lucky.

1 Like

If by “beefy cooler” you mean dual tower, they aren’t always necessarily more effective.

I’m talking about something with more thermal mass so it can handle spikes of heat load better.

The latency improvements are the big one in my opinion. Should help a lot with TR and it’ll be interesting to see if the trend of improvement continues with zen 2. The memory speed is a big one too, especially for gamers. I remember seeing somewhere that a 1700 at 4 with 3600mhz ram was virtually identical to a 7700k at 5ghz with a 1070 or 1080. Not a bad refresh!

I am playing around with ideas for parts that I already have…
It wouldn’t be a completely fanless system but I could get away with buying very little.

… why do I have to be such a hardware whore? :rofl:

1 Like

AMD just posted this video.

And Videocardz has this story:

I guess we are up for round two.

ryzensun

Also, from the comments of the Videocardz article:

1600X vs 2600X // SPECS

2 Likes

The whole thing could be an early april fools but maybe not.

Would not be surprised by these results, a bit higher consumption for the higher clocked models but overall still pretty moderate for 8c/16t parts.

Also found this on AMD’s facebook page, some of these look really nice.

Hell yeah!

3 Likes