The Ryzen 1800X: AMD's Brand New Flagship

Neat. Do you have any clock vs clock comparisons in gaming?

will do at some point, so much testing lol

that's the testing i'm most interested in because then it's easier to estimate performance in different scenarios.

You don't have Microcenter where you live I take it.

Nope out in the hills :( I have to have everything shipped in plus i insisted on the having the x370 taichi.

4 Likes

Make no mistake, I feel the need.

Well AMD´s reaction to some of the game benchmark results was a bit hillarious doe.
AMD suggests doing gaming benchmarks at 4K, to create a gpu bottleneck intentionally.
Which is just hillarious, as if that would make any sense atall.

1 Like

lol deja vu

2 Likes

Apparently there's validity to their statement. Their chips pull ahead in QHD/UHD; which is why people have alluded to memory latency contributing to the lower scores @ < QHD res

2 Likes

I dont see why there is any validity in it tbh.
It doesnt make any sense to do 4K gaming testings if you want to test relative cpu performance.
They are basiclly just acknowledging that Ryzen doesnt perform optimally in gaming yet.

Jayz for once hits the nail right on the head regarding this:

Despite being the one who brought it up to begin with lol.
Watch the video you'll see what I mean in the conclusion

Yeah there is allot of optimizations and maturing work to do.
But yeah on the other hand, 8C / 16T cpu´s are not really that interesting for gaming in the first place.
Those are productivity chips, and they do a great job there.
Like i said before, i think that the R5´s are going to be way more interesting for gamers.
Especially if AMD manages to get them clocked at 4.0GHz+.
But of course that is yet to be seen.

1 Like

Why not though? Currently, AM4 platform is pinging at double the memory latency of a comparable system. Highly volatile workload is more likely to be impacted by latency(1GB stack of data, 256KB chunks), vs something that would favor bandwidth(4GB stack of data, 4MB chunks). For once, we'd have a scenario where RAM is the bottleneck, and not the CPU, lol

Man, I'm going to be pretty upset if it turns out that the MC architecture is craptastic in practice. Here's to hoping AMD sorts out this mess by some way of magical firmware

The memory clock limmitation has no significant influence on gaming performance atall.

Correct. Latency however..

1 Like

in my opinion the biggest influence on the gaming performance here is its clockspeed.
Aside from software optimizations.
Of course the Ryzen cpu´s would look good at 4K, thats kinda logical if you create a gpu bottleneck.
I mean even a FX cpu does still okay at 4K.
If you want to test the gaming performance of a cpu specificlly,
you need to create a cpu bottleneck.
And thats basiclly what lower res gaming tests with highend gpu´s are all about.

Like i said if they are getting those R5 chips out,
and they manage to clock them at 4Ghz+ speeds.
Then those will be allot more appealing for gamers.
Thats all wat AMD needs to do optimizations and higherclocks.
THe ipc itself is there, as shown in productivity workloads.

I firstlly thought that those 2x128bit fpu´s might have some influence aswell here for gaming.
Because in certain games, disabling smt improved performance signifcantlly.
But i have not dived into that theory much yet.

1 Like

Yes of course, latency has influence on pretty much anything.
According to the latency numbers that wendell talked about,
those look a bit high to me aswell. 82ns ish.
However i think that might only be a very small piece of the puzzel.
But yeah its still a new platform, and that allways needs time and optimizations.
People who are complaining now, are early adopters and dont realise that early adopting a platform will allways have some issues.
X99 back in 2014 was also very problematic, especially with memory.
It all needs time to mature.
Never the less, its still awesome of what AMD has achieved there with this whole new design.

2 Likes

It makes sense as far as the price point of the CPU. If you're paying that much for a CPU you should be gaming at at least 1440 IMO. Would better fit that demographic.

3 Likes