The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

I don’t really ask much from RAM on laptops. On a desktop, however, I’ll have it on it’s knees, begging. While it’s non-ideal, I’ll take the power savings over the performance any day. It’s just my preference though.

I totally agree. :frowning: I looked at one in a store the other week. Felt too clunky to me, especially after having this XPS for so long. I’ve become accustomed to the build quality. So much so, that the HP elitebooks feel poorly constructed.

But even if much isn’t needed right now, low RAM is usually the bottleneck that forces upgrades down the line.

Yeah, 15" is big especially for an X360 marketed with a tablet mode. The Spectre 13" model felt much nicer (though still hesitant about HP), but no Ryzen.

Ideally I wanted something small (~11-13") and light with upgradeable RAM and good build quality, and decent battery life. I’ll be waiting.

capacity, yes. Eh, well, historically, it’s been CPU speed for me. I’m one of those folk who could really get away with 4GB on a laptop even today.

Their enterprise gear is kickass. I’ve got an elitebook 840 G3 on my desk right now and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Linux friendly laptop with a docking station. (it has SODIMMs!)

Even on the intel side, that doesn’t exist yet.

Well, maybe a System76 Lemur? I’m not sure if the RAM is soldered on to that one.

Lucky you! The way I think of it, if the CPU is weak, it just needs more time, but if RAM is not enough, it just can’t run or it crashes.

Is that a Clevo/Sager? I had my eye on the Sager NP3132, but it’s Intel (8th gen though and upgradeable to 32GB RAM), and when I asked a retailer, they couldn’t tell me if/when they’d have AMD variants of it.

1 Like

For me, I’m impatient because most of my programs are relatively lightweight or I’m asking it to do very lightweight tasks which also helps on the ram side of things.

CPU Update 13/12/17
For my system I rmaed my 1700 and got a 1800x in return. Can’t complain.

Ram Update 2/1/18
I had my RAM at 2933mhz and when I added another two sticks all I was able to get it to was 2400mhz. But my timings are pretty snazzy. 1t 12 12 12 12 26. So it is a trade off 16gb of ram at 2933 and higher timings, or 32gb of ram with much better timings. If I recall, Wendel did a video showing timings are more important for Ryzen.

after the taichi’s last bios update I was able to get all 4x8gb to 2933 (previously was only able to get 2800 max)

Going to try 3066 right now and see if she boots :smiley:

Edit: nope, bootloop :stuck_out_tongue:

I got greedy

1 Like

I would actually because I just hate the temp sensor offset. Have a 1600X and those chips throttle at around 70-75°C. And so far I have not found a way to change that.

Nope, frequency is where it is at because that is directly connected to the frequency of the infinity fabric.

1 Like

That’s OVER 9000 … sorry, but over 6000 at least.

3 Likes

IT’S HAPPENING !!!

L1 Stream Link:

3 Likes

Wait is that a good or a bad thing in Linus eyes? Keep hearing he got an Intel bias.

Yeah, I take issue with including Intel right in the video title. Algorithm pandering?

2 Likes

When tunnel bear can’t save you anymore.

1 Like

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/

reading the comments on this one currently

its delicious… :smiley:

That looks weird, I blame Windows.

Some are saying Anandtech is the only review site to bench Intel with Meltdown and Spectre patches.

If that is accurate I would run those numbers in an ad campaign if I were AMD.

Anandtech’s gaming benchmark does seem off compared to almost everywhere else.

Nice that there’s some IPC improvements here though, even if it’s minor, Intel has had nil since skylake in comparison.

PCWorld says all their benches were run with Intel’s security patches:

I’d love to see someone do a meta-analysis of the results. Not my forte nor do I have time on a day I’ll be working most likely for 12 hours.

1 Like

I will wait for the usual normalised graphs that come from adored :smiley:

I dislike the drama but I dont doubt his Excel stat spreadsheets :smiley:

1 Like