Return to Level1Techs.com

The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

amd
ryzen

I was just wondering what it was, because only the expensive ones like Crosshair VI have it. I thought the expensive ones had external clock generators.

I feel stupid as that was my first guess. My second guess was the external clock generator.

External clock generators are useful for extreme overclocking because you can use the boards reference bus clock instead of the internal CPU clock generator. There are many complicated electronic engineering concepts associated with it. But the main reason for external clock generators are thermal stability. Clock generators often need to be kept at a nice constant temperature to remain the most stable.

Being outside the CPU is useful for extreme overclocking (think liquid nitrogen) where cooling the reference clock generator down too much would cause it to run out of spec.

It's also has many other benefits, mainly associated with overclocking. It's safe to say though that you won't really need one if you confused the debug display with an external reference clock generator :wink:

Well as I added the clock generator was my second guess. I know I dont need it, but it was just something I asked someone in teamspeak and they apparently were trolling me. Like I said I feel stupid because two days ago I new exactly what that is. Now I trust a trolling friend that trolls me all the time. :frowning:

Anyways I could make use of it because it would be nice to see error codes, but my motherboard being a cheaper x370 lacks it.

Wikipedia has your back:

Usually for CPU's clock generators take the form of a Phase Locked Loop (PLL) clock generator

If you google and read your way around you can soon outsmart your trolling friend with a solid understanding of clock generators. :wink:

As for the Debug display, I have an ASRock X370 Gaming K4 but it's honestly not all that useful, usually the PC's behaviour and beep codes are enough for me to know whats up. Another problem is that there really isn't any good documentation for the hex debug codes on ryzen boards.

And something a bit more complex talking about a simple PLL clk generator circuit.

It's basically a built-in POST card, so you can read error codes. They're really handy for troubleshooting.

Until you get an undefined error code and your new 1700x is just a waste of space until you figure shit out.

Not that I'm going through that currently at all though...

Which code are you getting? I might be able to look it up for you.

On an ASRock X370 board if you're seeing 24 all the time while it's running the OS, that means it's working fine and the memory was initialized.

Other boards should actually also show that. It basically means POST success. Usually the BIOS should then turn off the hex debug code display. Some boards though with older BIOS don't turn it off.

Most common issues for Ryzen are 3F, 4F, 9F all to do with memory/XMP.

What BIOS version are you on?

Other than that any codes between 01 - 54 are RAM profile related.
55 is ram detect step.

61 - 91 is all Chipset stuff.
92 - 99 is PCI-e related
A0 - A7 -> SATA/m.2
b0 -> Unknown RAM related
b4 -> USB devices
b7 -> Memory
d6 -> VGA init
d7 -> KB/Mouse
00/FF -> You have none or dead CPU installed.

F3 BIOS on a Aorus gaming K7

I get into windows for maybe 30 seconds and then I lose video with a known good rx480. Memory is straight from the supported list too.

Reference RX480?

No, but I have one to swap it out with.

Just thought it could be voltage draw from PCIe. But custom cards typically don't have that problem.

So, after all the Ryzen 7/5 hype, I'm in the market for a new CPU (well, a new entire computer for that matter). Been looking to buy something from the Ryzen 5 line, I can't decide which option is best bang for my buck, 1600 or 1600X? I plan on using this computer for a reasonable time, so life span/future proofing (hate that word so much) is really important.

I'd go 1600, should overclock fine.

That's what I thought, plus it comes with a cooler and for the time being I'd stick to it.

I went with a 1700 got it running at 3.8 on a b350 board. The x versions definitely aren't worth it for most people imo

What graphics card are you running?

Msi gtx 1080 gaming x

Possible proof of more Nvidia drivers fuckery? Seems like Nvidia's cards need an update to properly recognize Ryzen topology, either that, or their GPU scheduler is limited to high clocks & 4c/8T only.

Oddly enough, Nvidia's BF1 drivers seems to be well threaded, I assume it since Ryzen SLI manage to pull ahead, either that or improper SLI driver support of the game itself.

Video

PS. Why is there two Ryzen threads?