The right speakers for me

I am trying to figure out what might be the right speakers for me. I watched their buyers guide, but I am not sure what I should get and you guys helped me so much when i was trying to figure out headphones and I love the ones you recommended. My price range is max 500$ for everything i need and I would like to have a sub as well. I am going to be using them for gaming mostly but I want good audio quality when i am listening to music.

1 Like

Some JBL LSR 305's and the monoprice powered subwoofer of your choice. Makes for the best near-field musib listening I have ever personally owned.

1 Like

Get yourself a nice receiver and a pair of alesis monitors. Don't buy "computer speakers" , they always sound like crap.

1 Like

I will take a look at those. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry to double post but I was looking at these possibly and I was wondering your opinions on them

they're kinda small and I've never heard of that company

Which pair of Alesis would you suggest?

woah woah woah....

Take it back one step...
There are a few very important details missing here that really determine what sort of speaker you will need.

1. Where do you want to listen from?
    a. Deskchair only. .........(just personal usage in quiet environment)
    b. Couch nearby desk. ..(so, desk but also from a distance)
    c. Home theater setup ...(movies)
    d. Whole room. ..............(parties)
  2. How big is the room?
    a. Carpet floors?
    b. Is it very echoy?
  3. Do you play any instruments? Do you want to expand this setup later on into a recording/playback setup?
  1. From a desk chair
  2. The room is about 120 sq feet it has carpet and isn't echoy
  3. I don't think I will expand it but there is a possibility and I don't play any insturments.

Ps I would have replied sooner but I had double shifts this weekend

Ok, it definitely sounds like you will benefit the most from a near-field-monitor setup.
Avoid the traditional "stereo and receiver".

Near-field monitors are designed for close up listening and creating a "sweet spot" that you focus right to the position of your desk chair. Traditional stereo speakers are designed to be listened to anywhere from 8-15' back; near-fields are generally best 2-5' away.

I definitely recommend the Rokit speakers that @roasthawkmoon recommended above. They are fantastic first monitors to get.

1 Like

You recommend the speakers that the OP was asking were any good? lol A+ for paying attention

yep... cause I'm awesome. I need a drink.

+1 for the LSR305 and a monoprice sub (there is a sub by them that has rca out and a bipass built in) and a passive preamp for audio volume control. Solid set up.

Hold on here, those are monitors. We should find out if OP is looking for a neutral sound or a colored sound. Bookshelf speakers might be more appropriate, depending on preference, as well as budget.

@roasthawkmoon, what kind of sound are you looking for? Do you just want to enjoy music or will you be gaming and watching movies with these as well?

Here's a good guide for positioning speakers.

And here's another.

well... most bookshelf speakers are designed for a distance that won't fit the desk setup.

Rokit's (among other monitors) can make pretty good music listening setups actually.

I want them for gaming mostly but I also want they for neutral sound so they sound amazing with music. I would also love them to be LOUD cause i love loud.

P.s. I am really appreciating all the input. My budget has also been increased to 750$

I don't think you'll have a problem with output, except that you'll eventually lose your hearing to noise-induced hearing loss, because I'm guessing you play your speakers at greater than 80dB.

I dont currently have speakers but HK-47 you think the rokits are good too? Also if i were to get these speakers what would i need to use them on my PC.

I currently use a pair of rokit 8's and absolutely love them. They are front vented so you can push them directly against the wall and get great sound. I don't agree with the setup that someone listed. I have my speakers pointed level with my desktop monitor. The end result is a more immersive sound.

Something you really want to take into consideration with powered speakers like the rokit 8's. They are high sensitivity and high powered. When you plug them directly into a desktop using a 3.5mm jack the graphic card reving up will causing a crackling noise randomly over the speakers. The way I fixed this was to buy an XLR to XLR dac.

Yeah, if the OP is still around I'd also recommend those KRK Rokit 5's.
They're nice monitors and should serve you well.
I would buy a nice external audio interface to go along with them as well, one of the reason being just like what Prague mentioned.
Computers are noisy (electrically) and if you plug these studio monitors to your computer RCA <> 3.5mm, you'd have issues. And if you'd have these studio monitors AND the computer power cables plugged into the same circuit (grounded), you'd face an annoying ground loop. Basically a hum. Which can be a pain to get rid of.

Getting an external (USB for example) audio interface (fancy name for a sound card) with balanced output (1/4" TRS or XLR) and using balanced cables between your monitors and the audio interface can solve that issue.
Funny thing is that in some extreme situations you could have a ground loop hum even if you'd have balanced cables between the monitors and the sound card. Which can be infuriating :D

Other people can probably chime in on good choices for audio interfaces but I'll throw this here

Another benefit of buying a studio audio interface is the microphone input (XLR) and they usually have 48V phantom power so if in the future you want to get yourself a fancy studio microphone for whatever reason, well, there you go.
There are cheaper alternatives out there also but I don't know much about them so hopefully others will chime in.