The Programming Super Thread

A suggestion for the Programming Tools List:

TextWrangler / BBEdit on Mac OS (TextWrangler is the freeware version)

Would SQL be the best code to learn for a beginner, if I am working towards a career in a network infrastructure field?

PHP + MySQL. SQL itself isn't much of a language. Its more or less a protocol in usage. 

Awesome, thanks

+1 and codeacademy.com

So you guys named a lot of IDE's for all of the actual programming languages, but is there anything good out there for HTML and CSS? Like, on Codecademy, there's a line-by-line text editor with a tab for HTML and a tab for CSS, then a preview window that live updates as you change things. Is there anything like this you guys would recommend? I've used Frontpage and Dreamweaver in the past, but I know Wendel hates those. Any input?

Dreamweaver is bad for a few reasons pretty much specifically because it doesn't require the user to know what they're doing to actually make something. Which a lot of times can be really, really bad for the website. Its just better to have someone who knows what they're doing and how the code works than not. I did list Notepad++ and Sublime Text which are general editors which are great for programming, you will have to refresh your browser window to see it. But its just easier to write the straight code because you know how something should react. 

dreamweaver is great for composing the graphical side of a webpage. and that's pretty much it.

^ this.

Removed a lot of mystery for me when I did it. Also led to greater understanding of toolchains. LLVM rocks!

There is not much to it. But its an incredibly useful tool to know. Don't neglect Document DB's either.

Haskell is awesome. Good luck finding a job doing it though.

WebStorm

SUBLIME!! Great post Devon!

Please include this website as a general reference for Web Developement stuff:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/

They have a lot of great articles about HTML, CSS and JavaScript (also containing Design and User-Experience articles)

Also a good reference for HTML(5):
http://www.html5rocks.com/ 

C++: C++ is the second iteration (or version) of C.

C++ is often referred to for standards and some-what higher level programming.

C++ is good for just about anything you could want to do in Programming.

The down side is, C++ is a large language, with multiple tangents you can get stuck on.

One of the largest pros of C++ is the language itself is Cross-Platform almost natively.

I'd like to point out that C++ is not a "second iteration/version" of C. It is a language on its own based on C syntax with Simula's approach to object-oriented programming while at the same time containing almost complete backwards compatibility to C language. C++ is a considerably worse and somewhat broken programming language when compared to the C language. It is also way more difficult language to understand and master than C. Also the C isn't a complete subset of the C++.

If you want to learn C, learn C. If you want try understanding C++, try C++. Just keep in mind that C++ is not "a new C". And in the opening post of this thread C should have a separate entry on its own.

C is a beautiful small language which really is almost cross-platform compatible (depending on compiler, toolchain, and other things). On the other hand C++ unfortunately is not a fully cross-platform compatible programming language. If you want to write cross-platform compatible C++ code, you'd have to limit yourself to all the features found from the standard C (and the lowest common denominator in-general).

And forget about using STL and Boost. There are things that make the C++ and most of the "new stuff" it has almost completely pointless. Debugging C++ code is more costly, time consuming, and almost futile when compared to C. With C you can easily know what each C statement does and how compiler will transform C statements to assembly and into a machine code. C++ is a big black mystery in regards of that most of the time. C++ also lacks garbage collector despite being a object-oriented programming language which is an enormous flaw.

C++ is not a good language for everything. I'd argue that it's not good for anything. There are a very good reasons why most major software projects have been written with C instead of C++. That includes Linux kernel, Git, GTK+, Gnome, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, etc. By the way, many programming languages such as Python, PERL, and PHP have been implemented using the C language. It's done because of the performance and stability reasons. C++ often results buggy, unsecure code which is difficult to maintain. Almost all the world's device drivers and the low-level software has been written in C. Most embed devices run on code written with C. C makes the modern world tick.

C++ is simply the worst programming language I've ever had to use. Write in C! If you require OOP features use Java. C is also the world's most popular programming language followed by Java and PHP. :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4YRPdRXKFs

--

Hopeakettu

PS. Current C version is C11. And current C++ version is C++14

Sources:

tl;dr: C++ is the cancer that is killing the C.

you are awesome, I agree completely,

had to work with C++ and experienced it.

C++ mentality is like "wow this feature makes code look cleaner and we don't care about consequences". It's a mess full of pitfalls.

School graphing caluclator programming ftw!

http://www.w3schools.com/ - there is a live window that you could use for what you're asking. Then just cut and paste I suppose.

LIZARD CHRIST IS HUMILITY-ES STEREOTYPE, HE WAS ONCE A LESSER BEING LIKE YOU ALL. AFTER READING THIS THREAD (IN IT'S ENTIRETY) LIZARD CHRIST WILL DESTROY YOUR UNJUSTIFIED IGNORANCE ABOUT LIZARD CHRIST. BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ALL ABOUT!

LIZARD CHRIST!

LIZARD CHRIST CREATED PASCAL, BUT PASCAL BETRAYED LIZARD CHRIST AND FULL GOT ALL INTIMATE LIKE WITH THE CHICK WHO WAS LIZARD CHRIST'S GIRLFRIEND (HE HADN'T TOLD HER SHE WAS HIS GIRLFRIEND YET),  SO THEN PASCAL WAS DESTROYED AND TURNED INTO A DEAD LANGUAGE.

[NOSTALGIA]

[MORE ITEMS]

[INTERMISSION]

[ANIMAL DESTRUCTION]

LIZARD CHRIST