The problem with Android

Good recent example. You have to give the apps permission to install the malware, but there are people around who will do it without thinking.

Exactly. That’s what I would call. “Technical common sence”. It’s pretty much mandatory that everything you do in your app that does not involve the apps local storage needs to first be permitted by the user these days. If you don’t just press yes. It will not be able to do much of anything.

1 Like

The result is though, it exists. It is more prevalent than people know think or even predict.

I know there can be many loop holes and caveats but for the same “non technical” people those many caveats don’t matter. The play store should simply not be treated as safe like you suggest.

I get the point you are making but it is akin to the “Mac dies not get viruses” thing. It does, and likewise the play store cannot and should not be treated as such.

I cant bring myself to ever reccomend, ANY apple product anymore, except in this exact situation. they are just too damn greedy. But what else make sense here… nothing. Damn I was trying to reply to a specific comment

Great thread- have to agree with the Apple strong points but will still use Android to avoid a walled garden of limited hardware.

Android will turn the ship around- heck it might not even be called Android by then, but Google has taken note of the strong points of iOS and Apple’s business model and IMO we will have an Apple equivalent (IRT security, reliability etc) experience soon enough, but with the option of much more diverse hardware offerings (possibly at the cost of security, but at least its a choice).

My hat is off to those that are truly agnostic and can choose to buy an Iphone purely off of a ‘check list’ type approach- I would like to be able to claim that level of agnostic. I just can’t give Apple (or Samsung for that matter) my business.

My last IPhone was the 5s. Got it on contract, rockt it for two years. I’m still owning an IPad though. I always thought iOS was fine though limiting for a tech loving user. My Parent’s still love theirs and haven’t had any Problems. They are expensive though.

I’ve been with Android since the og HTC Desire days. It was my first smartphone, my first contract and i have been with Android ever since. I always got what ever the latest thing was every two years with my new contract. In that sense, Updates have not been a problem to me. I mostly got flagships when they where new and gave them to friends and family two years later.
When my S8 broke 3 months after recieving it (literally broke the glass by dropping it from knee height), i got myself a Redmi Note 5. 190€ phone that’s got everything one could ever need. Plus double the batterylife of any flagship.

Yes, Android Security Updates can be a Problem. I personally don’t care to much, but when looking for family and friends it’s a factor for sure. With Custom Roms being a thing, i don’t personally have a Problem with Updates not coming from the Manufacturer.
In the end, with Android, you can get an impressive phone that holds up to the latest flagships at 200 bucks. They need to save money somwhere.

On the other hand, the best Android experience to date has been with the Nvidia Shield TV. I got that thing in 2017 i think and thought it was massively overpriced. Nvidia has been providing solid Updates until today (and probably will continue to do so). It wasn’t replaced by a needless refresh, has a proper beta Channel and has been rock solid. I’m really impressed with Nvidia on this one.

For my next phone i’ll be looking at Linux. With Pine64 and Librem there are two potential companies coming with a Phone that’s running mainline Linux. And the Pine Phone is planned to be around the 150 bucks mark. If this actually hits the market, I’ll be all over it. The days where you needed the latest and greatest CPU in your smartphone are long gone. So getting mainline Linux in a phone formfactor for 150 bucks would be incredible. If not, we’ll see what ever android phone is around when my xiaomi breaks…