The problem with Android

I want there to be updates too, but I just don’t see why any OEM would support a device for a long time right now.

And there is little incentive for google to force anything, it would only come back to haunt them.

Would be nice to force companies to provide a base level of protection to reduce e-waste side of phones

1 Like

I would have an iphone if they still had a headphone jack (probably)

As for the “but my laptop lasts for 6 years” argument, it runs windows, it’s not comparable.

how so ? Laptops run linux too and get support

The platform is open source, but Google Play Services and the like are proprietary. So that’s where the obligation comes in. Amazon get around this with their own app store integration in Fire OS.

Google has every reason, considering more people using Android just gives them more data. I could see the EU having a problem with Android being contractually locked down further (monopolies, and such), but it could be sold well from a security standpoint.

From the OEM?

Security updates, drivers etc are provided from microsoft and intel etc.
Microsoft has all incentive to keep you in the ecosystem, they don’t gain anything from you purchasing a new laptop (unless it’s from them).

My iPhone lasts for 6 years. (Probably 5-6)

“Everyone” is already using android, no problem for google if it’s on Nougat with october 2017 security patch.

What does Google gain from a new phone etc?
Dell releases drives for their stuff directly from them and their store for the hardware they have in there (firmware etc)

I believe newer versions have more OS-app integration compared to older ones.

I last like 4-5 years i think (Went from Nexus 5 to MotoX4 android one edition)

Nothing, doesn’t make a difference either way, except this scenario perhaps.

Windows machines actually suffer from similar issues. The only machines which have device wide support for around 6 years are surface devices.

Most computers (motherboards primarily) get 1 maybe 2-3 years of hardware support if your lucky.

The OS gets support for the life of the OS and specific chip hardware like intel and and get longer support thankfully.

Gsuite is mostly detached from the OS, so they can keep supporting it on old Android too.

So M$ doesnt gain anything either they still push patches and somehow all the mis parts still work (usually) the main thing is security patched and idk how phones wouldnt be able to accept those

To be honest until recently there wasnt major security flaws in them tho (also mobo only really is responsibile for bios updates as the other chipsets are all other manufactures)

Windows is a closed source OS on "open source " hardware, you’re paying for microsoft software.

Google is not providing your samsung phone with android, samsung is.

The nexus 5 did not have more than 2 years support + 1 extra year of security updates. So you didn’t get 4 years of support from it?

I did not but i was expecting new nexus phones at fair prices (that didnt happen)