The POWER and PowerPC General Discussion / News Thread

Good work peeps!

Thatā€™s the Github of the void-power org. My personal one is https://github.com/stenstorp
Keep in mind, these are UNOFFICIAL, not supported by Void Linux maintainers.

1 Like

If you are going to post OS ISOs to generic filehosting sites, you should probably include the SHA256 hashes here so that we can be sure weā€™re downloading what you uploaded.

technically Wendell could modify the hashes, but to do anything useful, heā€™d need to be conspiring with Mega

1 Like

That is in the hands of the sten.

void-live-ppc-4.19.44_1-20190524.iso sha256sum: 1eed858b0f3140f88ce328455ba97f9b2d70b856dca2d922c48b033c21633d19

void-live-ppc64-4.19.44_1-20190524.iso sha256sum:
5ed31c304b2ab352722b97c1b0052e6066bc5b470ce7e8761e36d2a1086f94e3

4 Likes

ā€œOfficialā€ ISOs are now available from https://void-power.octaforge.org/live/current/ for ppc, ppc64, ppc64le and musl variants for each.

Technically unofficial since they rely on an unofficial package repository for PPC packages but itā€™s the best weā€™ve got until Void officially packages for PPC.

Note: not all packages are available from that repo just yet, compiling an entire repository takes a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

I demand official recognition :U

Jackmanā€™s at devs

Iā€™m making that a verb now.

1 Like

Well the facebook post I made absolutely blew up.

1 Like

actual owner of the void-power organization here

mfw thereā€™s people using my shit and i donā€™t even know about it

at least be visible, so that i know i donā€™t do it just for myself and a total of 3.5 other people

there probably wonā€™t be any official packages for a while and once there are theyā€™ll be done using my Talos 2 which I plan to eventually hook into the Void infra, but probably not before Voidā€™s builder infra is rewritten, because buildbot is clearly inadequate

on the positive side, my org tracks upstream as closely as possible and and iā€™m in close contact with the Void devs (and pullmoll, whoā€™s also contributing in void-power is a core Void committer) and thus about the only thing thatā€™s really missing is automatic ppc CI for void-packages (though Iā€™ll probably have my own once I automate the infra)

9 Likes

Woah.

Hello there.

3 Likes

Sorry, weā€™re half organized here xD

Anyways hello

1 Like

also, there will be a fresh batch of images again this weekend, with more rewrites in the installer based on experiences from running on ā€œrealā€ old ppc potatoes (I only own POWER8 and POWER9 machines so all my initial observations were made based on emulating mac99/newworld and ibm pseries in qemu, some of those were later found to be not entirely correct)

it wonā€™t be necessary to manually format/mount the bootstrap partition anymore, separate /boot partition will newly be supported, GRUB installation is error-checked correctly (as the nvram update step is now moved out of the grub-install command itself, so when that fails at least the rest can be handled gracefully), dialog now correctly renders spaces on big endian (patched in Void upstream), os-prober will function better, and partition table specifically for macs will correctly refresh after repartitioning so installer wonā€™t show outdated entries, and a bunch of other things i might have forgotten

also got a big endian builder VM up (for all 18 POWER9 cores + SMT2 and like, 48GB RAM) so maybe that package set can finally start expanding (the main reason thereā€™s way more little endian packages is that I like to limit the amount of stuff I crosscompile to a minimum, native is always better)ā€¦

sadly, until i have a replacement desktop system (which will probably be an 8-core Blackbird), this Talos has to stay my daily driver, so it cannot be dedicated to 24/7 building operation just yetā€¦ I have some POWER8 machines but KVM support is poor on those (requires disabling SMT, which is a big performance hit) and some of the RAM recently died in one of them

3 Likes

Because Iā€™m a 3 year old about this shit

Can I see it?

Honestly, its so cool that you have a real system. Hopefully I can get one inā€¦ well a while. More interest in the Amiga X5000 atm, even though I know the power difference.

3 Likes

X5000 wonā€™t run 64-bit Void because it lacks altivec (itā€™s a bit of a weird embedded SoC, was never actually intended for desktops), so 32-bit userland + 64-bit kernel only (unless you feel like recompiling everything with altivec off)

X1000 might, because the PA6T CPU in that actually does have altivecā€¦

since altivec was already present in a G5 back in like, 2003, disabling it was considered too much of a sacrifice, considering it would cripple the performance of everything that does have altivec, which is most hardware people are likely to use it on

3 Likes

I worship a new god now

1 Like

Iā€™ve not been this excited about PPC in a while.

This is cool.

2 Likes

Probably should have let you know about this place before :smile: welcome anyway!

2 Likes

To schimanek, no Iā€™m not pollmoll.

Can confirm. Definitely not.

2 Likes

I was thinking if the PowerPC Notebook project might have the same problem, but they say the T208X CPU (e6500 core) theyā€™re planning to use does have Altivec, despite also being a ā€œweird embedded SoCā€.

Maybe Freescale/NXP learned their lesson with e5500 (supposedly the core that X5000 is using) that all CPUs need SIMD?

1 Like