The Pinecil and shipping to the UK

One of the nice factors of Pine64’s pinecil iron is the $25 price, I recognise there is a another $12 in the “Standard Shipping Method” but was wondering if anyone else in the UK had any other charges come up. Especially with Brexit I’m sure some there will be some fees.

1 Like

Pine64 has had issues with shipping to the UK after Brexit (for the pinephone at least, but I imagine it’s not limited to that).

For the PinePhone, they’ve been unable to deliver, and they’ve been emailing offering refunds. I’m not sure about extra fees, sorry. I’ve not ordered from them since last year. I’m not sure if their delivery issue has been resolved.

Brexit has made ordering online from abroad stupidly complicated, but from what I see, if what you’re ordering is less than £135, you shouldn’t have to pay VAT or customs fees.

But unfortunately there’s more to it than that… Credit card companies can now charge higher fees, and the additional red tape costs may want to be recouped by the retailer, so you may end up paying fees even if you’re spending less than £135…

Sorry I couldn’t give any more Pine64-specific info

2 Likes

In the case it’d be significantly cheaper to buy a couple at once, I’d be very willing to pool in (:

No worries on specific info, thats interesting about being unable to deliver pinephones. Also for anyone curious I did ask Pine64 and they said the Pinecil should be in stock this week :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

In stock in the US, or a European forward location?

1 Like

Yep I just bought one, £27 through paypal, should just have to ~£5 for VAT and thats it.

1 Like

Noice

1 Like

Did you get your from pine website, or Amazon/reseller?

Obviously post when you get it in case HMRC/RM hold and charge extra “fees “

1 Like

Directly from pine. Also if I can read correctly, gov.uk says:
You’ll be charged Customs Duty on all goods sent from outside the UK (or the UK and the EU if you’re in Northern Ireland) if they’re either:

excise goods
worth more than £135

and it’s none of those things so we’ll see.

1 Like

It has arrived! Pretty quick shipping to be honest.
Seems to have just costed the £27 taken out of Paypal, no extra fees.

1 Like

Very nice! And thanks for the update man

1 Like