The Orville - Filling the void of lackluster SciFi

I’ve been looking at reviews of The Orville as the series has reached it’s sixth episode. It was a delight for me to see the evolution of the reviews and commentary as the episodes continue to impress. The first week or so was a mixed bag of jokes and character reveals and let many commentators and reviewers ready to dismiss the series casting it in a light of being a unsure mess. The SciFi fan community had a different take on the series and showed a willingness be patient while the series revealed it’s true nature. In the first few weeks rotten tomatoes had given the show a 19% rating according to critical review however the public rating was 90%. For me a disparity of this size is indicative of a large SciFi fan base who have been waiting for over a decade for something that will scratch a long nagging itch. I guess for me The Orville is the series that brings the short term elation of hitting the nagging itch that was the SciFi offerings of the past decade.
The last few episodes have been satisfying and surprising and the fan base has erupted with discussions about the series in every form. Discussion of the ship classes and character history and potential avenues of development we want to see revealed. In short everything that any TREK fan talks about. I find myself excited about it enough to take to the forum and start a discussion. I believe the series is well worth your time to watch and light hearted enough to get you laughing but while you are laughing your already hooked and then you want to know more. Just like the terrible cut scenes from Starship Troopers. "Hell Yes I wanna know more"
I’d like to know what other forum members have been thinking about the series and what surpised you most. For me I have found the TREK urge now satisfied oddly enough from a series that bears none of the branding of Star TREK and yet captures the look, feel and spirit of it entirely.

2 Likes

I to so far like the series, and think it is a lot better than Star Trek Discovory. That said I hope they don,t turn the series into a platform to present controversial ways of life. Just bring me interesting story’s about different planets and aliens without being preachy.

I agree 100%… I am betting that the lighter nature of the comedy provides an organic throttle on some of political agenda themes keeping the scope of the show as commentary only and not trying to assert a definite stance on any issue. I think it’s going to be okay in regard to that. The third episode in some ways spoke to the shows ability to take a tough topic and not assert one viewpoint or the other as being correct rather just present the story and let it impact as it should.

I gotta check out this show, thanks for the heads up!
reddit has a thread on how to get it w/o cable

I believe you can just go to the Fox website and watch them. But they also are broadcast TV so if you have an antennae that will pick up your local Fox affiliate station it will be free to watch there as well. Thursday nights @ 9:00 I think.
Yeah, it’s on the site. Here’s a link to the show

2 Likes

" the whole world is under the control of the evil one."
YEP
Screenshot (498)
Gonna try some roku stuff

I’m sorry, That crap is just nonsense. I just can’t imagine putting it behind a paywall after it’s been broadcast already but this is the exact reason why people are so upset with CBS over Star Trek Discovery (STD) for short… LOL

1 Like

Just torrent it mate.

2 Likes

Interesting… I didn’t have this happen but we don’t have cable. Or any TV provider.

Edit: nevermind. Totally does this on previous episodes.

1 Like

This is just insanity. This is why people torrent stuff. What possible reason would they have for creating such an asinine system.

Oh, wait, money.

I have zero respect for companies that do this.