The Online Safety Modernization Act of 2017 (was Doxing)

When I first saw this June 30th "What the heck is doxing?"
Who knew doxing would be a huge deal a few days later :slightsmile: _

3 Likes

I'm not sure but I thought swatting was illegal already?
and what about Doxing? So many questions kek
It seems like a needlessly expensive bill to fix a problem that
definitely won't go away any time soon.

Like what are they going to do? Find these people?
What if they are using a VPN? Are they going to force the
VPN provider, who might not log, to help them find this person?
Or the medium that the information was shared on?

I'm confused as to why this would help, also dang that's expensive

Haha yes, I wonder who's threatening to do it? Guess we'll have to pass this bill, spend this money
to catch this illusive and cunning threat!!!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This seems like a waste of money. You can't stop doxing. Not even adding penalties to it will stop it.

3 Likes
  • Breitbart.
3 Likes

CNNBlackmail

4 Likes

Does it change the fact that its true and contains useful information?

3 Likes

A 24 million dollar program for a nationwide legislation is not expensive. The representatives are just responding to the shitheads of the internet. Would you expect them to ignore it?

For those that don't like clicking on Breitbart: https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/29/15888764/katherine-clark-online-safety-modernization-act-bill-announced

1 Like

One of their stories maybe being true out of lots of bullshit stories, doesn't negate the fact that its a bullshit source and should be taken as such.

Only other site that covered this once very obscure bill was endagadget

Personally I am wary when an obscure bill can suddenly be passed in the heat of the moment.
The penalties could be devastating for the poor but nothing for the wealthy. Not to mention unforeseen dangers to Free Speech. It is obscure laws no one ever heard off that allows the government to jail movie makers Dinesh D'Souza and Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, both spent hard time in the Fed Penitentiary.

I feel current blackmail laws already cover this:

Outrage is the governments playpen, to do what we would never allow.

2 Likes

Swatting was made illegal probably because it not only has the potential to waste police resources, but people may be entitled to sue the police department for kicking their door in, and potentially shooting them in the head.

Doxing can't be enforced because by itself, someone knowing where you live isn't malicious or can be taken back. it's what happens after somebody knows where you live that usually has illegal/shitty things happen.

Brand loyalty in any area of life is a problem. If CNN has a good informative article it should be taken as such, regardless of their reputation. If not then whatever. If Fox News has an actual good informative article on a subject good for them.

No one likes a closeminded asshole. Useless comment.

1 Like

any media outlet is going to be polarising to some people.

Way to go with the personal attacks, useless comment. Didn't call anyone else better, thats for others to decide. Breitbart is a shitty source.

Was gonna say, this is a drop in the bucket.
Still a lot of money for a non issue

May? It is, literally no way to spin it regardless of the outlet lol.
Literally one line is opinion... that's the only thing that isn't hard fact.

Let's not start on "my outlet is better than yours" it's an insult to the person using such outlets and yourself, because instead of using an actual argument you basically say, "this argument isn't worth my time." Whether it's your intent or not it's an inflammatory statement regardless.

plz no fight guys, no insults.
Let's just discuss the merits of the bill, and not the one who told us about it

14 ‘‘(3) PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMA-
15 TION.—The term ‘personally identifiable informa-
16 tion’ means—
17 ‘‘(A) any information that can be used to
18 distinguish or trace an individual’s identity,
19 such as name, prior legal name, alias, mother’s
20 maiden name, social security number, date or
21 place of birth, address, phone number, or bio-
22 metric data;
23 ‘‘(B) any information that is linked or
24 linkable to an individual, such as medical, fiVerDate
0ct 09 2002 15:01 Jun 26, 2017 Jkt 000000 PO 00000 Frm 00032 Fmt 6652 Sfmt 6201 C:\USERS\MLLEWIS\APPDATA\ROAMING\SOFTQUAD\XMETAL\7.0\GEN\C\CLARMA~1.XM
June 26, 2017 (3:01 p.m.)
G:\M\15\CLARMA\CLARMA_004.XML
g:\VHLC\062617\062617.370.xml (648099|12)
1 nancial, education, consumer, or employment
2 information, data, or records; or
3 ‘‘(C) any other sensitive private informa-
4 tion that is linked or linkable to a specific iden-
5 tifiable individual, such as gender identity, sex-
6 ual orientation, or any sexually intimate visual
7 depiction.

One page later there is an exception for law enforcement and intelegence agencies.
No exemption for the Press, corporate OR independent
Defamation law is different for public figures, I don't see it in this bill, the doxing section is 301 around page 30 of a 53 page bill, small by todays standards but about twice the size of the original income tax bill.
Text of bill: http://katherineclark.house.gov/_cache/files/b1841244-4daa-49ce-bb95-2cdcf16bc5b2/online-safety-modernization-act.pdf

Decided to change name of thread solely so it shows up on a goggle search, only 5 links before food safety links show up. This may not even make it to the floor but if it does L1 will be the forum who had an intellegent discussion on the issue.
BTW if there were iron clad protections for any media who got pics of a politician, Aussie cardinal or a Ped State coach with a "dead girl or live boy" I would have no problems with the bill.

2 Likes

Just read a majority of the bill. @anon85933304 thanks for linking it in your post.

I truly do not understand the reason for this bill. It's basically saying you it's against the law to:

• blackmail people electronically (with a lot of emphasis on sexual info)
  • make a false phone call to emergency services
  • release someone's identity with an intent to cause harm
  • various measures to prevent, report and train people regarding the issues at hand

Waste of a bill and money. A penny saved is a penny earned.

It's just a meh bill that everyone is going to forget about aside from your typical ambulance chaser lawyer. Just for that reason, I hope it never see's the floor of congress.

2 Likes

I like the Wild West ways of handling internet grey areas.

Take the CNN blackmail of the underage kid just the other day. Nobody gives a shit who the kid is but the internet went after the one blackmailing a child who threatened to release his name and cause harm lest he go back on his "apologies" to CNN.

Now Mr. Kczinskys life is a living hell because no more than 1 hour later his name, address emails and phone numbers of him and all his family members are released.

I like that more than court room justice.

1 Like

I don't think that will go away, but yeah, the internet seems to be able to take care of itself. In most cases, I just think it seems a bit of a stretch that a bill would fix all our problems.

1 Like

I think the bill is concerned with getting the ball rolling in the right direction.

"Take the CNN blackmail of the underage kid just the other day. Nobody gives a shit who the kid is but the internet went after the one blackmailing a child who threatened to release his name and cause harm lest he go back on his "apologies" to CNN.

Now Mr. Kczinskys life is a living hell because no more than 1 hour later his name, address emails and phone numbers of him and all his family members are released.

I like that more than court room justice."

WTF... is this the level of intelligence we are to accept here on the forums? Do we ignore it? Challenge it? What?

...and yeah I am being aggressive. This crap should not slide. How dumb do you have to be to believe the "kid" is a kid? The poster here has no idea how old the person in question is. ...but he read it on infowars.

Maybe we should all get some guns and head down to the pizza shop to stop the DNC child sex ring tomorrow.

Fucking USA... so much potential... so much shit.

1 Like