The no BS Ryzen Thread: All official information on Ryzen here

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/der8auer_achieves_a_world_record_5_8ghz_overclock_on_amd_s_ryzen_1800x/1

I need 8 cores and 16 threads at 5.8Ghz in my life.

Done with a CrossHair VI Hero.

1 Like

That is pretty niffty for a 8 core.

It's funny how people are saying that it's not good for gaming because it doesn't get more than 200 fps like Intel in some benchmarks. What the fuck are people smoking? As long as gameplay is smooth there's nothing to worry about. You can't expect existing games to be optimized for a brand new architecture. And even then all the games that have been tested with Ryzen are more than playable. I have no doubt in my mind that Ryzen will reign supreme in future games when developers can optimize their games for Ryzen.

4 Likes

Real world application of Ryzen:

I'm not holding my breath. Sure, the odd one out numbers will probably improve. RyZen should not be 30-40% behind Skylake, more like less than 10% (at the same clocks). RyZen will never be faster than Skylake as the latter has better IPC and better clocks. You need to gimp Intel somehow if RyZen is to win, in a straight up test Intel will win the gaming benches.

And does it really matter? No, not really. Gaming on Ryzen is not a bad experience, it is no Bulldozer. The only thing I can think of is if you want that top gaming perf, say you have a 144 Hz screen or a screen with an even higher refreshrate. An overclocked 7700K is probably the best CPU then.

I think RyZen is great and looks like a big success. A couple of months down the line when the obvious bugs are worked out (HPET for example) it will be a very good experience. A 1700 is a great buy if you are a developer and compile large projects, you get close to Intel's Extreme edition perf for much less. You don't need an expensive motherboard, and lots of cheap RAM is better than less, faster RAM for that workload. The 1700 would make a kinda cheap workstation that is good for productivity.

1 Like

Are you sure it's enabled in the BIOS? I'm confused because in Wendell's first look he seemed to get the IOMMU working, it's just that he couldn't isolate the x16 slots into seperate IOMMU groups. If AMD-Vi was just completely disabled, I would think he'd have no IOMMU groups at all.

I am almost sold on Ryzen, but if I can't do passthrough it's a total non-starter for me :(

1 Like

Asus has finally their manuals for download. Prime X370-Pro:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X370-PRO/E12577_PRIME_X370-PRO_UM_v2_web_only.pdf

On page 65, section "3.6.1 CPU Configuration" there are settings for Virtualization and IOMMU.

5 Likes

I know the Titanium X370 from MSI has SVM
Not sure on IOMMU though

cool, thanks. Was worried.

ITX is starting to show up...

3 Likes

I'm not seeing the gaming problem. If you look at the chart the 1800X is about 7% behind the 7700K depending if you consider max or min frame rates more important. Plus if gaming is a big part of your life, then stop buying $350 CPU's and buy a higher resolution monitor than 1920x1080.

It's a brand platform for AMD and the motherboard manufactures first outing with a CPU that's not based off a 8 year old Intel design. AM4 is going to need the kinks working out of it for a while.

3 Likes

1800x is not suppose to be the gaming cpu. You will get the same results with the 180$ quad core ryzens. I am surprised people still bring this point and not the point, that the 7700k is usually overclocked to 4,9-5,0 or something like that and the ryzen is 4,0...
Idk. For me Ryzen, despite the laging behind in gaming is perfect for its price.

4 Likes

the 1700X and 1800X are meant to beat the 6800K, 6900K and even the 6950X in gaming ... which is what they do. And the multicore is baller on ryzen so.

It may not be as good in sheer clocks vs kaby but as you said the 4/6cores are going to be the gaming oriented chips.

1 Like

I'm surprised how XFR is performing.
I mean seriously, some places it even keeps the clocks under the turbo.. But that is thermal based...
I hope the 6 cores being 2 cores less, will be cooler and therfore XFR will boost more...
Anyways, I can't wait for the 6 cores...

Windows + XFR = buggy currently. It just doesnt know how to handle it.
Also if you are overclocking XFR doesnt matter anyway... but that may just be a bug as well for now.

idk, looking at the benchmarks it didn't seem like the 1800X definitively beat the 6900k in workload. If someone says money is no object, I just want the best workload CPU period. I probably would not recommend a Ryzen. If someone says i just want the best gaming CPU period, i would not recommend Ryzen. If someone said I want a CPU that does everything well, that is one area I would recommend Ryzen. Or if they were on a budget and wanted the best bang for your buck workload CPU, I would recommend Ryzen.

It is important to appreciate Ryzen is very early and it will likely be much better optimized. I am very hopeful for the R5 and R3, or maybe even 2nd gen R7. Also, AMD was clearly selling the R7 as a gaming series there were tons of gaming benchmarks that AMD showed. They had benchmarks comparing it to the 6900k where they deprived the 6900k of quad channel ram and underclocked it, and told youtubers to disable the multicore enhancement feature on Intel chips when comparing them to Ryzen, some pretty shady shit.

single core that is true.

But holy shit, the 1800X in multi core beats the 6900K by a ton. The threading works a lot better on AMD systems so far than HT does as far as i can tell.

I have the entire reviewer's pdf thing on hand and I know for a fact that didn't happen once.

Semi related:
warning: major rant video but brings up a good point about how no companies pay anyone for reviews or tell people what to do.

you literally just linked possibly the least reputable for tech knowledge YT channel.
Jayz isn't bad but Barnacles ... yeah no.

If you want a in depth, good review of what ryzen is, isn't, the good and bad, watch this:

and then read this:
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_cpu_review/1

1 Like