The no BS Ryzen Thread: All official information on Ryzen here

Define "pure gaming".

Is that game + skype + chrome

Or just game.

I think it looks OK in gaming, I mean it is a far cry from the FX 8350 or even the FX 9590. The old AM3+ CPUs are just terrible, RyZen is much, much better. Not as good as Intel's latest, but not that far behind.

That's not a pretty picture for the FX. RyZen is clearly much, much better than the AM3+ stuff.

Edit: That picture is from the TechReport Review. Go read it!

2 Likes

I've been thinking about that. We know that the lower core count RyZen will be die harvested from the same silicon as the 8-cores. I'm not so sure they'll clock higher. I would think they'll be easier to cool ofc, but I'm not so sure about overclocks. I think they'll overclock about the same as the 8-cores.

They will.
I have tested my 1800X with 6 cores enable and it gets to 4.2ish, 4.3 ghz under the same cooling and volts 4 ghz takes with 8.
Havent played with 4 cores yet.

Well less cores basiclly should result in less overall heat.
So you might be able to overclock higher.
But of course thats yet to be seen.

If the bios of the board allows you to disable certain individual cores.
Then you could try that.

1 Like

Yeah, I would expect that. Still not the same as a harvested 6/4-core. It will be different, we don't know how yet.

Remember that the CCX structure etc is different on the harvested dies. It will be interesting how it will work out.

Its Kind of odd.

Can do
1+0
1+1
2+0
2+2
4+0
4+2
And default is all 8.

It has to do with the CCX structures, needs to be a kind of balance. Smarter people than me have written a bit about it.

If it is just disabled things than the performance with an 1800x will be mostly the same with the disabled cores as the r5/r3.
However it may be different so.

1 Like

Also never the less one source doesnt tell the whole story of course.
Like i said RYzen is brand new, and has to mature firstly.
If i look at the productivity side of things the 1800X does really put up a good showing.
It gives intel a run for its money there.
Even though it doesnt allways beat it, once you overclock intel.
But that price diffrence cannot be ignored atall.

Yes, it is very early yet. Asus has still no manuals for download on their site. Or I'm blind.

But there is a DRAM QVL now:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO_DRAM_QVL_forAMDRyzenProcessors.pdf?_ga=1.50592876.499795383.1488474140

1 Like

Hmm yeah that kinda looks odd.
What does the 4+2 setting make of it?

What is "pure gaming" defined as?

Is that game + skype + chrome/other small tasks

Or just game.

While multitasking = bigger tasks like

game+stream+other software in the background?

What i mean is that people buy a system for mainlly gaming related workloads.
Thats what most gamers do.

@Cavemanthe0ne which cooler did you use to reach 4.2 on all 8 cores?
I mean it seems like AMD still uses a package tempsensor for the whole package.
Instead of individual tempsensors per module.

Ryzen scales better with clockrate though which is nice. All AMD has to do is get these chips to 4.3GHz across the board and anything older than Skylake won't be able to push past it even overclocked.

Any idea why the gaming benchmarks are so inconsistent?

GN shows Ryzen getting destroyed by even Haswell i5s yet Joker is showing it trading blows with an OCed 7700K.

Pay close attention to what resolution they bench at and what GPU they use. You start getting GPU limited at over 1080p. At 4K you're not testing the CPU at all. The weaker the GPU, the lower the resolution needs to be. Also, very few even understands the concept of frame times. GN has a educational video on it:

1 Like

Our best guess is inconsistencies in platform. I ran through gaming on a number of boards and found that some handle gaming better, some handle productivity better. The XPower Titanium had the most consistent results.

1 Like