The no BS Ryzen Thread: All official information on Ryzen here

all I'm going to say is
there is another thread for that you know this right?

other than that

meh

From what I have seen, the SMT implementation has much better scaling than hyperthreading. I don't know how they went about it exactly, but it really seems to me that once again, AMD is focussing on multi threaded performance and not so much on single threaded performance. If only everything could make use of it the way that cinebench can.

1 Like

The early thing is like a slap to the face.

7 Likes

aka wait until March 2nd for the full details.

Until then, speculations and build prep and whatever else ryzen related (or not, whatever, I don't care), go here:

couple good informations

ryznen supports up to 2400MHz without OC. If you don't plan to oc controller, don't buy memory over 2400MHz. (difference is small, none, or gain if you get nice timings on your memory)

supports ecc memory (it will have ecc mode disabled), you can buy server memory; sometimes its much cheaper than consumer retail versions.

for overclocking bios will offer
cpu frequency (auto)
core performance boost (auto) (only X models)
downcore control (auto)
dram frequency (auto)
adjusted dram frequency (read-only)
advanced dram config - use may set timings on each stick or on all manually
cpu voltage control (auto)
dram voltage control (auto)
cpu memory changed detect (enabled)

CPU Features
AMD Cool’ n’Quiet [Enabled]
The Cool’ n’Quiet technology can effectively and dynamically lower CPU speed and power consumption.

SVM Mode [Enabled]
Enables/ disables the AMD SVM (Secure Virtual Machine) Mode.

Core C6 state [Enabled]

No mention of virtualization support etc in bios.
cpu supports: AMD-V, AES, AVX2, FMA3

I didn't see any AMD-Vi support tho... :| (IOMMU ~ KVM)

Well, that is just DDR4 spec now. So that isn't really new.

Edit, just checked to be sure. 2400 is the faster JEDEC spec for DDR4 but it would have been unlikely for AMD to go with 2133.

Asrock manual for their X370 board has UEFI settings for IOMMU. At leas one board, I don't remember which one now. it's late, sue me.

Chapter 4, page 63 of the pdf, page 56 of the manual.

Any info for thew B350 boards supporting this?

wrong pdf link i guess. 0B

still can't find it there any support for ioomu, amd-vi.

We won't know till we see the overclocks. The 1800X could be very highly binned in comparison. It'll probably be 8320 Vs 8350 all over again in regards to overclocks. I'm anxious to see.

Glad I saw this. I was looking at a 64GB kit of 3600MHz memory. Would have been a pricy mistake. Though I was going with the high end ASUS board anyway.

Maybe I should get some cheaper 3200, underclock it and see how improvements come with bios updates.

please tell me they didn't cut AMD-Vi :\

That would be a slap in every Linux users face. And break Ryzen for me.

Yes that was why I was considering ordering a new Ryzen setup once user benchmarks start to get out and make sure everything is lining up with AMD specs

I'm comming from a 4770k so there isn't much point of upgrading since I need hardware accelerated Virt

I want lots of RAM, maybe I'll get a board and two 16 GB sticks in the mean time. Looks like the base freq 16 GB sticks are supported on the MSI QVL at least. Firmware updates (or motherboard revisions if you're Gigabyte) will improve the situation no doubt. Much like the early Skylake stuff.

Asrock manual for their X370 Taichi:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/index.asp#Manual

EU FTP:
ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/X370%20Taichi.pdf

Section 4.4.2 page 68 North bridge Configuration has the IOMMU Enable/Disable. Funny though that the screenshot says Z270, rushed much? Feels like the Skylake launch a fair bit.
We should have official word on AMD-VI at March 2 a the latest.

Edit: Interesting, the Asus PRIME X370-PRO initially had only DDR4 2666 support, now they've changed it to include up to 3200 MHz OC. So I guess they're hard at work validating memory as we speak :-)

I feel like this isn't the only SKUs AMD have, they must have more such as 4cores/8threads, or 8cores/NoHT. I'm gonna wait for those SKUs. I don't feel the need for 8core/16threads. I feel like 8cores is all I need so a 4c/8T or 8c/noHT would be much more suited for me, it'll be cheaper and certainly less power hungry which would make for a great itx pc.