The new Firefox Browser... Who's running it? Is it worth the upgrade?

I would like to get bookmarks to top bar and I guess thats something what I need to look from addons

Not the nightly build but the ESR version is screwing printing emails from our email client.

Yes, we host our own email servers. Yes, I know it 2017. Yes, I know there is a thing called the cloud.

PS Firefox user here, not a hater, but does it look like the nightly build is getting the memory leaks under control? Just curious - if I leave a browser open over the weekend - that beyotch is immediately getting a sudo init 6 come first thing Monday.

1 Like

No, there isn't.

2 Likes

Then wtf is that cloud icon with "internet" written on it. And I've seen the Microsoft Cloud commercials. They seem to have the cloud. Cloud.

Cloud.

Internet

The cloud.

5 Likes

Homepage: about:newtab

I like it better this ways

1 Like

I prefer about:blank.

1 Like

Was about to just say that would be better if this thing would replace that additional search bar, but it seems that "Customize..." allows just pulling these elements, even remove them.

No problem in hosting your own email server if you know what you are doing

Lol ! Is Firefox completely written in RUST now?

2 Likes

Preach!!

1 Like

Running 54 with both multi process and hardware acceleration enabled. Much faster.

Multi process

In 54 Firefox multi process is enable by default (assuming you don't run incompatible addons). The feature is also known as e10s or electrolysis.

First open about:support and search for window with multi process (or your localised string) and check if it is already enabled.

If it is disable you most likely run an addon that prohibits it. Install this addon (by mozilla). You will get a green puzzle piece in your toolbar. Click it and the addon tells you if multi process is enable and which addons are incompatible. Disable all incompatible addons.

When you restart the browser only with plugins that support e10s, it should work automatically.

If it does not work for some other reason force it by opening about:config and setting the key browser.tabs.remote.force-enable to the valuetrue.

You can change the number of process Firefox uses with dom.ipc.processCount. This affects your RAM usage.

Hardware acceleration

On Linux disabled by default, because of the mediocre Linux graphics stack. The stack improved. And if my knowledge is correct Mozilla plan to make HA a default on Linux with 57 at the end of this year. (No guarantees).

Go to about:support and search for HW_COMPOSITING, as a Linux user you will most likely see

blocked by default: Acceleration blocked by platform

Now go to about:config again and set layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true.

After restarting Firefox you should see this:

HW_COMPOSITING:
blocked by default: Acceleration blocked by platform
force_enabled by user: Force-enabled by pref

OPENGL_COMPOSITING:
force_enabled by user: Force-enabled by pref

Now you should be able to play 4K HTML videos on youtube. I recommend you test 2K and watch your CPU load before turning on the feature.

On my Notebook the load was above 3 with 2k before and below 2 with 4k videos after enabling HA.

But be warned, your Firefox can now be affected by X.org and OpenGL bugs. E.g. that your window does not update when you change the output modes for your dual display.

Hope i did not forget something.

4 Likes

It might be related to the fact that I only have a Full-HD display, but I was able to choose the 4K option on YouTube and play the video very smoothly without HW acceleration, even 4K60 isn't a problem. All on the integrated graphics of my 4790K. (I am using Wayland on Fedora with two displays)

I'm using it, I like the compact dark mode,
it's like Mozilla saw Chrome, and was like.
"let's take the best of this, and make it better."

2 Likes

Would be pretty cool if addons would support customization so that I could pull element picker from uBlock Origin

I dont know if they do that because they are tagged as Legacy addons

Surprisingly useful feature, firefox screenshots

Just installed the new one on my tablet. Not sure why, but I'm not getting video on Twitch when watching through the browser (twitch app requires Google account and apps, and I don't want those).
YT works just fine though.

No addons or anything, just a fresh Firefox install on a fresh LineageOS install.

1 Like

Twitch flatpak?

the official one.

Does anyone have issues with watching a stream from Youtube or Twitch on Nightly?

No issues here.