The most freedom respecting x470 Motherboard

The most Linux friendly, freedom respecting, no non-free driver using x470 Motherboard ? (beside the bios/uefi, i now that is proprietary)
Also, the cocecs. I want the newer/better ones, but not if they require non-free software.
[the bios is my only compromise of using non-free software]
Please dont hesitate to give me suggestions !

There is no x470 board in existence that meats your wishes.
all motherboards come with proprietary windows drivers,
and generally dont offer any drivers or support for Linux.
Linux Driver support for motherboards are generally baked into the kernel.
They are just generic drivers that make basic functions work.

3 Likes

I don’t think you’ll find that on any x86 platform if I’m being honest with you. There’s too much going on for OEMs to even care about releasing low level drivers like that.

With that said, I’ve been following RISC-V’s development for awhile, and it looks pretty awesome!:

If everything pans out correctly performance is only going to increase over time as more developers jump on the bandwagon.

Not to mention, these developers seemed truly engaged with the architecture and their products. They got Linux booting on these things in like two months after launch. That’s crazy!

I can understand some of the turn aways though:

1. It’s a new architecture so there’s not a whole lot you can actually do with it right now.
  2. No matter what optimizations they make it will fall short of modern x86 processors due to physical architectural constraints.
  3. It’s an expensive buy in to essentially be a beta tester.

But anyway, if you’re serious about this then do look into it.

1 Like

As of right now they pretty much all work fine with linux.
Besides for RGB control(there are no drivers) none require any non-free drivers to use.

I’ve had good experience with ASRock and ASUS boards I own so far,
specifically:

• ASUS Crosshair VI Hero X370
  • ASUS Crosshair VII Hero X470
  • ASRock B350 Gaming K4
  • ASRock X370 Gaming K4
  • ASRock X370/X470 Taichi & Ultimate Taichi

Now none of them are “Stallman grade”, but they all fulfil my wishes for the time being. Everything works with what’s in the kernel.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is what you asked for but I can run Debian and Parabola on my ASUS Crosshair VI Hero with no problems at all. As far as I know these distributions only use FSF certified software and firmware by default.
Side note, I’m also rocking a RX Vega 64 because the free AMD drivers are awesome in 4.19 :slight_smile:

Whilst that is true - everything works out of the box on a modern Linux distro with my X470 Taichi.

Wifi, ethernet, bluetooth, audio, etc.

So if that’s the major concern for the OP (having everything work properly), there’s one option.