The Linux Kernel Adopts A Code of Conduct

I don’t see anything “SJW” about asking people not to be dicks to each other, sexually harass others who have something to offer to the community, etc. Especially when they are in a position of authority.

1 Like

It explicitly states you must be “inclusive” and “show empathy” which are vague undefined terms that if not followed risk your exile, along with

'Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a
professional setting"

Basically anything they feel is bad.

“Maintainers who do not follow or enforce the Code of Conduct in good faith may
face temporary or permanent repercussions as determined by other members of the
project’s leadership.”

Requires membership to their way of thinking, seems like standard authoritarian leftist practices to me.

How hard is it going to be enforced? If you want to see what kind of forum that thinking leads to check out resetera/neogaf

3 Likes

I have never wanted to run GNU HURD as much as I want to right now.

It’s not that bad.

Just be wary of how everything plays out. Be mindful of the present, while being prepared for the future.

If it goes to shit, a suitable replacement will spring to life.

There is still time for the revolution

https://webmshare.com/jR3N8

2 Likes

As someone else said, it’s telling that the actual Linux kernel contributors are not freaking out about this, and the noise you hear is coming from elsewhere on social media. In other words, from the peanut gallery.

If you’re interpreting their code of conduct as an SJW document, you are reading FAR too much into it.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/code-of-conduct.html

The actual document does not tell anyone they “must” use inclusive language. What it does do, however, is provide examples of the standard, as well as examples of toxic behavior that won’t be tolerated.

Most of this toxic behavior would be cause for termination by an employer, and as many of the Linux kernel contributors are doing so while being paid for it by a third party, it only stands to reason they should act professionally.

2 Likes

Why is all of it necessary beyond the original rule of simply “be excellent to each other”?

It is a “must” because if you don’t follow their vague rules or they simply feel like you’re breaking the rules you can be booted.

Seems they brought it to Ruby a while back, creator’s responses are the same as some of the ones here

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnVGRxeXcAIJV5W.jpg:large

More examples are in that thread from other communities

1 Like

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the way Linus acts. He reacts properly to shoddy work. If people don’t want to be called dumb, they shouldn’t do dumb things. It’s not his job to babysit contributors and make them feel warm and fuzzy, his job is to make the best kernel he can according to his vision as it’s his project.

People who don’t want to align to what he wants to do with it, or how he wants to do it, shouldn’t work on the project. They have the ability to fork the project themselves if they don’t agree with him or the way he acts.

3 Likes

It’s not a must. You are inventing that language. It’s not in the document. They say what is not acceptable and the only actions to be taken are against those breaking the toxic behavior rules. There is nothing in there policing what people must say and do in order to make others feel comfortable. Again, they offer examples as a guideline for people curious what they mean by positive and inclusive.

In other words, don’t slander people or make targeted remarks about their sexual orientation, weight, etc., as that has zero to do with their work output. Zero.

All of that is covered by the previous simple Code of Conflict?

The document says you will be punished if you do not follow their examples does it not? Isn’t that the entire point of listing examples and having that code of conduct?

Damn, nick is on a roll

People are over-reacting… the “Code of Conduct” people are ranting about are generic / basic rules of any community…

Ain’t no SJW horse shit that people are claiming.

4 Likes

Github has a similar code of conduct, though all of the links on their page for it are dead so don’t know how close it is. They list the same Covenant that’s directly used in the OP.

"Part of this problem lies with the very structure of some projects: the use of insensitive language, thoughtless use of pronouns, assumptions of gender, and even sexualized or culturally insensitive names.

Marginalized people also suffer some of the unintended consequences of dogmatic insistence on meritocratic principles of governance. "

"Here are a few communities and projects that established code of conducts and diversity statements:

Contributor Covenant: http://contributor-covenant.org/
Geek Feminism: http://geekfeminism.org/about/code-of-conduct/

"

here’s a list of issues that have come up because of it. This is my favorite.
“Replace racially charged language “whitelist/blacklist” · Issue #1569 · graphite-project/graphite-web”

3 Likes

How about “For Diversity Reasons, please consider renaming the branch from ‘master’”

#nottheonion

4 Likes

I think you misinterpreted the coc. They define the document as being about having a harassment free environment, it’s not about toxic behaviour. The two are not the same.

3 Likes

For one person those examples may expand to a huge list, for another it may be a small list because their culture doesn’t have the same standards for what might be throught of as harassment. Examples aren’t good always good definitions.

1 Like

So we either need a lawyer and pages of pages of definitions and examples for people to strictly follow lest be kicked.

Or we can just use “be excellent to each other”…

No. You need a concensus from the Linux leadership on what standards they agree constitutes deliberate harassment.

They all presumably got together and agreed the rest of the document, I find it confusing that people are so against defining the single word that the entire document is about.

Why wouldn’t you make it clear so that anyone from any background can understand how it applies?

To set and example (and it’s just an example, no lawyers required) UK law defined harassment in one line, and defines what constitutes deliberate harassment that can be prosecuted in two small lines.

4 Likes

Pretty sure the ideals of SJWs tend to fall apart under scrutiny, that’s not to mention it’s rather unnecessary to begin with

2 Likes

Nothing good will come of it.

Once the thought police come knocking… its just basically over for the whole project.

My guess is that its Microsoft who sent them, as windows is all on the outs and every other piece of hardware on the planet has turned to linux… they are fighting an uphill battle.

With the tinfoil hat crap aside, SJW nonsense always ruins everything.

Elitism is what made linux good.