The Linux Community Sucks: According to Almost Every Outsider | Tek Syndicate

Join the care bear movement, CNN, Carebears are Not Neckbeards!

Carebearshare :D

Nicely said.

I can see where Logan and Wendell are coming from, and it is a concern. There will always be others who think they are better than others due to how they do certain things, and that's just how it is. We should be encouraging our community to not act as they do, but Linux is about software freedom. Getting stuff done is something you can choose to do or not to do.

Are you seriously complaining about what you see on /g/?
Everyone will shit on everything you do, just for the sake of it. Get over yourself; nobody actually cares what you're using.

In a world of utensils where there are only knives and spoons, why is it so surprising that when the "forks" suddenly show up that they try and stab something? (Get it? FORKS?!)

But seriously. Anyone who has ever tried using a Linux distro almost certainly has been frustrated by it. So what I think you're seeing is backlash aimed at what may seem like a small group of elite coders and other powerful individuals who have lost any ability to empathize. After all, they (those uber neck beards) have promised to "give" us all an OS that is "better," is more efficient, and promises to put Microsoft/Apple out of business but in reality, it kicks the users intellectual butt -- those would-be trolls.

And you know what they say about frustration: "Expectation is the mother of all frustration." - Antonio Banderas (according to the "internet," at least).

he ehhhheee he hee hee hheeh linux you pissants ,install DOS ! he he

Oooh man. Them's fighting words. You stay away from me, ya hear!?

Even though I use Linux I will admit the community does have a LOT of suck in it, even here on this site. I've seen people who say those who use manjaro, zorin, or ubuntu are using linux wrong and are a problem. People that say those(along with windows/mac) are bad because they work, because they don't force you to get under the hood all the time and make you learn how to deep linux. They don't seem to realize some people need something that works most of the time, such as video editing or well anything that needs dat up time, and are afraid(read very inscure and likely small in the pants) that if ubuntu, manjaro ect get really big that their favorite flavor that makes them get under the hood will die. Even though with how linux works its hard for distros to really die.

That said there are also a lot of really nice people in Linux and I've made some good irl friends because of Linux.

This so much, I remember when I was a n00b and that attitude put me off for a good year. Now if they give reasons and can explain why I should use that over another or why its best fine thats wonderful, but going full DUUURRRR on people wont help anyone.

I liek pengu OS.

JK, I'm really enjoying my own setup(s) of GNU/Linux.

Let me quote myself from youtube, I'm lazy to redraft:

"
It's kind of superficial to go like it.
Sure, we do like to tell people RTFM, maybe because we've gone through it, and it's the best way to do it.
Sure, we may sometimes go for the bragging rights to certain stuff achieved, not just a precompiled installation of esoteric things in general. Going petulant about it is just pushing it.
Sure, I may not even be representative to the said "community", but I use GNU/Linux as daily driver.
Ubuntu was my introduction to Linux, I will not deny. I had fun days trying to see how to move out of Windows back in those days (even if it's not that long ago).
You've just met the surface of the community. Not everyone goes off like it, just the people who need to feel elitist to compensate for something else.

I get my work and search how to get my work for my daily driving like notebook replacement or even trying to start to use emacs as a common thing for me.
(Yeah, go ahead and try to pry me people for not using vim. :v.)
I love doing the stuff myself, because I know what is running on it (for the least part).
I'm trying too much to try everything and failing miserably in a very slow rate. But well, I try.
"

Since the internet is that open, most of the good people you'll only find with their own Linux Foundation domains and those who are active in a distro forum, sometimes including moderators.

Also, I would be a carebear.

Snap-on master race!

I used to be a Muse fan boy. Then their 3rd album came out and everything went downhill (the music, the public listening to it), so I totally get the analogy.

First off, great video @wendell and @Logan.

I've done the whole arch, gentoo and even the openBSD thing . For me any speed benefit from a system like gentoo is not noticeable. I have nothing against people who use gentoo, but most of the performance gains or feeling of performance gains are from knowing your system so personally. At the end of the day i use Ubuntu, purely because it stays out of my way and lets me get on with my work(photography).

I use to be a gentoo user like you, then I took an i3 to the knee.

Hey I am a brand new Ubuntu Gnome user and I love this distro! I was playing around with openSUSE and as much as I liked it I did not find the appropriate support I needed so I switched to Ubuntu.

I am glad I ditched windows 8.1 for Ubuntu, even if I am a pc gamer and there's a whole bunch of game I won't be able to play. I will play what's available on steam for linux, discover new stuff and stop playing the same 3 games all over again.

I am still disappointed at AMD, as their proprietary drivers are much worse that Nvidia's on linux, I can't even play torchlight 2 at 60 fps with an r9 290x. I hope they will fix their stuff soon enough!

I started with WM (WindowMaker) on RH back in the 90's (which was about on par with Ubuntu now days) and my first taste of elitist Linux nerds was in #Linux on EFNet. They spent their days ripping on people for running RH instead of Slack and posting screens of their desktop endlessly... I was a wall fixture there for nearly 3 years and it never ceased to amaze me how many of the guys didn't do ANYTHING other than run a webserver and take screenshots... lol FF to now and things haven't changed much in many of the more popular forums.

The desktop thing has always escaped me (ok except for E that was pure hotness) because I haven't seen my desktops in MONTHS! I always have 100 things open because I'm working, watching videos, or the like. Why in the hell would I see my desktop? My workstation and laptop serve 2 purposes which are remote control of servers or services and to create or present documentation. My desktop is 100% irrelevant outside of function like alt tab, copy/paste, etc...

SS for old times sake... lol

I fully support the message of this video and I just want to assure you that we're out there. I'm one of the few anons on /g/ who actually gives useful information and will support whatever distro somebody chooses, hell whatever OS somebody chooses. I was just berating somebody in a Twitch chat the other day who said "Linux is better than WIndows, stop using this shitty OS", of course theirs was in all caps...My response was "better is relative and Linux deserves a much better spokesperson than someone like you". Linux users are supposed to be knowledgeable and accepting, that's why Linux exists. It's like somebody who claims to be a patriot working their hardest to take away another person's freedom. At the end of the day, Arch and Gentoo are great, but I use Ubuntu (with Unity even) on most of my machines just for the simple fact that it takes the least amount of time for me to set it up to a state where I consider it usable. Honestly, there are other desktop environment (and window managers) that I like more and there are distros that have what I consider to be better goals, but I use what works and what doesn't take very long to set up. Every distribution has a reason to love it, it just depends on what you need and what you are willing to do.

1 Like

I really think it is silly to say that /g/ represents the Linux community. I doubt they represent even a small portion of the Linux community.

While I sort of agree that /g/ can be quite judgement and unreasonable, but why do you care? So what if they shit on you in some desktop thread? It kinda saddens me that you had to make a video on this subject. What I really want to see is you guys releasing more videos more frequently. I am really looking forward to the Linux videos, but this has sort of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Distros?! That is not even a word.

Clearly, only sub-human class plebian scum refuses to compile all kernels and drivers from scratch with every version. GUI's are for children. I prefer to feel the tubes of my CRT burning the outer film from my retinas as it pierces my brain with its cancerous love while I watch the terminal scroll and masturbate to the hentai being projected onto the brick wall behind the monitor, here in my mother's basement.

The prophet, Linus, is the all-knowing, and King Richard is the all-powerful. Know your places and accept your duties with humble gratitude.

2 Likes

I wouldn't say it should sadden anybody, but I do agree that this is just not really worth anybodys time because so what if some guy judges your choice of linux distro over the fucking internet. I mean good lord, there are other more meaningful matters like people getting bullied over the internet.
This is just another example of the "holier-than-thou" attitude that humans possess, nothing to write home about.