The Line Between Performance And Performance

Look buddy, here's the thing...

A lot of people use performance as a factor in choosing an operating system. Many will use gaming benchmarks or browser benchmarks to determine the efficiency of a system. What many don't quite seem to get, is these benchmarks are mostly irrelevant unless your hardware is an exact replica of the tester's. Performance of an operating system is different from the performance of hardware using a particular operating system.

So, what the fuck dude?

I'm not going to call myself an expert on this matter, I only dabble in swaying people towards stupid ideas because it's fun and trolling is great. However, I guess I could explain the good, bad, and the ugly. If you're looking for an operating system that performs well on older or lower tier hardware, almost all performance benchmarks are the wrong place to look. These pieces of data look at the capability of an operating system on hardware that provides the system with few bottlenecks, and a wide berth, and NOT performance on less powerful hardware that should perform its best in that environment.

So, why the hell should I care?

Well, I've seen a fair bit of posts on this forum and others, where people will ask for suggestions for their particular hardware, or in general. Many concerns they have are performance, but there's a line... If your hardware is decent, you don't need to worry about desktop environment or gaming performance as much. There's going to be variations between systems and desktop environments, but most of it is negligible to anyone with a brain. In that case, USE WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT. HOLY SHIT, DO WE NEED TO HOLD YOUR FUCKING HAND??? JUST PICK SOMETHING AND FUCKING USE IT! If your concern is performance in terms of lower class hardware, the general advice is to use a lightweight desktop environment atop a smaller OS. Xfce is usually the happiest medium for most. Use Xubuntu, Lubuntu, or Manjaro Xfce.

Get cucked

To all of you who have an i5 or above & similar, IT USUALLY DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER. EVEN AN IGPU WILL BE JUST FUCKING FINE. Stop buying into the benchmarks, understand the difference between the performance you're looking for and the performance you're not. Search the forum, THERE'S A SEARCH FUNCTION???!!! WHAT?!?!? Yes, there is. Check other sources. Google it. Check other forums. Users here (generally speaking, there are some of us who just want to decorate your life with sadness and depression, me being one of them), want to help, but you also need to help yourself. Don't rely on one forum or one user's input. Cross reference things. And for FUCK'S SAKE. JUST TRY SOMETHING. YOU WON'T KNOW IF YOU DON'T FUCKING USE IT!

2 Likes

I only use what I can consider real world scenario benchmarks. Thats why I design all of mine by hand and come up with the math to calculate it. Most of it has to do with TTL and the amount of action you can do inside of a 30 second window. If the system goes to full load I want to know what that is like and then I want to start piling shit on to know what pushes it to the limit.

See this thread here:

I hate modern synthetics. They don't prove anything they're just leftover from the amiga demoscene.

1 Like

I read that when you posted it. Good read ;-) I definitely agree. The practically and realism of synthetic benchmarks are just fucked in general.

Exactly. The benches I use aren't practical for the normal person. I am truely testing extremes so I know the limits. The AAAAAAAAAA test is what it is because my IBM 600X wasn't keeping up in libreoffice and when I found abiword, the system lagged instead of the software. So I started seeking for an efficient system with efficient boots and as soon as abiword was open, hold down A and see what happens. Thats the only reason that exists, and at the time I was working on a math web course and writing paper after paper with that machine as my only option. Was it an edge case? Yeah. But I didn't have a choice. Often I just make do, and I feel spoiled now because of it.

My pentium M's and 4's used to feel amazingly fast compared to my pentium 2's and K7's. But now with a mobile i7 and my xeon desktop it just feels wierd. I don't have to optimize anymore, and to be honest I really really miss it. I kinda wish I didn't have the hobbies I have now because my hobby was PC optimization.

1 Like

I get a Kick out windows 10 gaming benchmarks as they always use stock windows :)~ Hilarious in my book. Mostly because you are the mercy of whatever crap is running in the background. A true gaming windows machine needs to be stripped down to the purpose and then you may see some consistent gaming results. A well structured windows gaming machine hard to keep up with the only what is needed concept.

1 Like

its mostly relevant; it shows you where things stand. Usually numbers are quite different, and benchmarks show same hardware/settings with 1 different piece of hardware they are reviewing. It matters. (while yes, you can tweak many things, get memory with lower timings and rape other guy etc, you name it; but if one can apply same tweaks to other system it'll also get faster.)

Someone should do proper windows review and compare it with linux distro's... let ms burn.
I agree, most found 'bottlenecks' aren't real bottlenecks; just misunderstanding of how hardware works. (sometimes there are bugs, most of the time) but its likely people don't know what they are doing, or don't know they can replicate same thing on different platforms.

Some people don't keep themselves up to date, with what kind of SSD is best, what kind of AIO, or cooling... people on forum can give their opinions. Some people don't even follow GPU market (they don't know difference between 970 and 1080ti or 7970 and 295x, they are just numbers for them) Here come the forum people with their shitposts why this and that...

Same goes between desktop env in linux. ubuntu based systems are garbage, and you know it.
Everyone knows it.

You have no idea what you are talking about. :)
(Your statement may apply to a typical user whom doesn't want to play games on high/ultra settings, APU works well with most needs of typical user.)

I like posting with people, and i encourage users to create their shitty threads. It serves a medium to converse information, hardly a triggering post tho... I say ask on forum, doesn't matter if you searched on google or not... user doesn't need to make the effort. (just as a note, that kind of talk; destroyed many communities - I've seen it destroy/kill many userbases and communities; including irc based communities, leaving old guys as lurkers; and no new people as they would simply tell them to google it - its plain dumb; its a suicide.)

so for fcken sake... let people write their damn posts.

A whole lot of assumptions :( Benchmarks are a rough guide but not the end all of be all. A good understanding of the os and how it runs in regards to what you are doing is.

Cross referencing is going to take up muh precious time. 😭😭😭

And for them header titles only a gangster mother could love,

1 Like

@Goalkeeper I thought of this so many times when writing it.

Ah, such is for the lack of specifics in my rant. I was saying that your choice of operating system *usually doesn't matter. Not the hardware. ;) And yes, the whole 'google' thing is suicide. The point isn't to deter people from asking, it's to deter them from putting their eggs in one, raging basket of hell. (jk i love this forum and all of the idiots who reside here, also jk because at least half of them are smarter than me, jk again because that's obviously impossible, jk one last time because it's probably not)