The Level1Techs KVM (Keyboard, Video Mouse) Switch - 4k/60hz monitor & USB Switchbox | Level One Techs

Doesn’t the switch change the front ports to whichever machine you’re working on?

Yeah, I mean it should have a port that isn’t switched connected to each hub, so you can plug a USB stick in and not switch it.

I see lots of USB stick swapping in your future! :joy:

Why would you want to do that, and not just plug it into the actual machine?!

think about it for a minute… you have 4 PCs, running dual monitors in an enterprise type environment, all look the same on their face… which do you plug it into… oh hey, the screen I am on is green, and has a port on it. Like I said, for convenience and for those among us who are dyslexic (like me) it would also be a great feature.

1 Like

I really hope these push the market. Just a year ago I was running my laptop for work, and my desktop for gaming through my AMH A409U and would have killed for a good KVM that actually supported 4k60 and didn’t make me replug my keyboard every time I switched. I don’t need this thing anymore, but I’m tempted to pick it up just to have a decent one available should I ever get tired of dual booting.

I’ve never looked into what makes making a good KVM difficult, but it seems since we left VGA and PS2 behind the market never caught back up. And I remember even the PS2 connections having issues with some machines.

But if youre not actually using the device over the KVM, why would you want to plug something into it?

I cant think of a reasonable use case for the requirement.

Wendell mentioned one in his video… installing an operating system from USB. It’s one thing to know that you cant switch VMs because it’s in use, and then there is human nature, forgetting and hitting the switch without a 2nd thought.

Seems to me that if you really need to do install the operating system that often and the machines being so similar was causing constant confusion, you would just label the machines with a $20 dymo?

When you kick enough servers that this KVM makes sense, but not enough to do an actual PXE image the input switching could be a gotcha.

Most of us just get into the habit of plugging the thumb drive directly into the machine for that anyway, but if you’ve got the feature, you might be tempted to use it. Think it was just a disclaimer to say “you’re still gonna have a bad time, even with the work we did”.

This isnt really a KVM for servers anyhoo, this is a display port KVM which is much better suited for workstations/gaming systems/testbench.
If you wanted to manage servers, which are predominantly still VGA, then why not save a bucket of cash and use a second hand CAT5/IP KVM?

Because IPMI can be, and in my experience, often is, flakey. You’re right though, I haven’t worked IN a datacenter in years, so that was just the first thing that came to mind since that’s the time I really wanted a GOOD KVM, especially with a USB hub I could put a thumbdrive in, for things like LiveCDs to try and rescue data from failed disks.

Though I still have a lot of friends that do corp help desk and their daily lives look something like this picture.

Think how much more efficient their day would be if they just had all the laptops closed and looped through a KVM to a single monitor. One might even be tempted to try and insert a USB drive with updated drivers, or a hardened slipstream image. Again, I don’t do this specific kind of tech work professionally any more, so there could be some down sides to it, but there are use cases. As Wendell said multiple times, it’s probably not for a normal user, but more a IT Manager.

Still showing as $660 for me for the 2 port, even after adding it to my cart and starting the checkout process. I even created an account and tried that, same deal.

Anyway I can order the 2 port unit for $550?

Will there be any more, perhaps another round, of the single monitor switches? I didn’t see this until last night and would really like to get one.

If not, can anyone recommend another decent 2 or 4 port 4k/60hz kvm? General & gaming use, 2 desktops, single monitor (1080p, but want 4k for future)

Currently using a Cables 2 Go 4 port vga ps/2 / usb that’s probably 10 years old

I have been considering one of these 2:
http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/uhdn-4ps.html
http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/cs782dp.html

Price should be updated soon the coupon just expired

We will probably do one more run in mid to late Feb. I just finished an updated firmware :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks man, just ordered the 2 Display Model now!

Can’t wait to replace my Sig model that runs an app with a memory leak, flickers my monitors off and on at the most inopportune times (e.g. in the middle of an evening maintenance window), and constantly crashes the Corsair Utility Engine.

Awesome thanks! The flicker may actually be display port noise. I spent two months tracking that down on my model because I combined two iffy cables (dp to kvm to display) and when I replaced the cables with right proper cables after many failed attempts at non shitty cables I found the oem that Dell uses and that’s the cables we sell. Flawless at 4k and good specs. I suspect everyone else gets the reject cables.

who is the oem that dell uses cause this 1440p Samsung monitor is very picky about its cables.

How will the firmware be distributed, where can i get it?
It is nice to actually have firmware updates for KVM.