The Level1Techs KVM (Keyboard, Video Mouse) Switch - 4k/60hz monitor & USB Switchbox | Level One Techs

@wendell one of the adapters is this one:

https://www.av-cables.dk/usb-til-displayport-adapter/usb-c-3-1-til-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-1.html

I have no idea if the adapter is available in other markets.

I can’t recall where I got the other one

If there is any chance I can make this thing work, I’m up for any sort of experimentation :smiley:

I am ordering one of these: https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-uni-Thunderbolt-MacBook-Pixelbook/dp/B07CL31FR6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529270946&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=USB-C+3.1+til+Displayport+adapter+4K+-+60Hz – not sure I can get the precise one you linked, but I’ll keep digging around.

I will try this cable, and then go from there. May need to direct message you to arrange some of the more exotic testing. I have some “working fine” reports on 2017 mbp so there is something that works. I think the thunderbolt docks also work, in general.

Sure, just let me know :slight_smile:

DVI (or HDMI) to Display Port adapters are pricey and I need at least x2, I’m tempted to buy a cheap GPU in their place. Since I’m not a gamer, would an rx580 4gb be plenty to drive an LG 43" 43UD79-B 4K (3840 x 2160)? Or maybe 580 8gb and if I get the gaming bug just play at 1080p?

• EDIT- HA! I forgot I have a 702084-001 (GTX-630 2GB) from a failed fold at home Ubuntu VM build (couldn’t get it to work right). It has two display port on the back. But I’m getting conflicting info, that it only supports 2048x1536, another says 2560x1600, yet another site says 3840x2160. Maybe Nvidia has updates for this card to get it to 3840x2160?

• EDIT- slapped it in and heck, 3849x2160 and 100% scaling- cool. Was going to be $40.00 x3 for HDMI to DisplayPort adapters, I just need one now.

• Edit 3, ran Heaven benchmark for fun on the poor little 630 on the 43" 4K. 2FPS lol.

1 Like

might want to check your refresh rate. is probably at 30fps

1 Like

Every time I switch between the desktop and laptop. the desktop’s (Win10) windows re-autosize into little squares at the top left of the screen I have have to drag them all out and re-size them again. Is this in relation to the PC thinking the screen was completely disconnected in the interim? Is this fixable if the KVM emulates some kind of signal to keep the PC happy?

I have a sneaky suspicion its the LG monitor trying to be smart (has firmware for all kinds of split screen modes etc) vs. being a passive monitor.

Thats because the KVM disconnects the monitor from the computer. Its intended behavior

1 Like

This really deflates my experience with the KVM, was really hoping to be able to switch between laptop, work laptop and desktop without having to re-lay things out every time.

How do I do this on just the desktop? Lots of google results for gaming or GPU benchmark software, but how do I see what FPS I get just displaying the destkop?

iirc just right click the desktop and select screen resolution. select your 4k monitor and click properties. should be in there somewhere

Went into nvidia control panel, apparently it is at 60hz. Pretty happy because it was a ‘free’ part laying around from a craigslist z800 buy I use for an ESXi box.

This. When I switch back to the Ubuntu laptop, its as I left it. When I switch back to the Windows 10 desktop, everything is stuffed in the top left and the LG pink’ish screen outline comes on for a few seconds. Need to find a way to make the LG monitor dumb to the fact its a Win10 PC.

This is a common complaint with KVMs that don’t emulate the screens. Windows in particular moves everything to a screen that’s available, and when there’s no screen available it doesn’t know what to do with itself. Linux, depending on the desktop manager, is sometimes a little smarter, and keeps the layout as is (I believe the area where windows are drawn is a separate concept from the screen where they are displayed, at least in desktop managers I’m used to, and it might actually be an X thing, so disconnecting and reconnecting a screen might not have an effect on where windows are).

Will try some of the mentions found in the link-

I might like a software/setting work around more than a kvm with emulation, but we will see, the adventure resumes tonight.

@wendell, were you adverse to a kvm that emulates output due to cost? Complexity? The Belkin F1DN104W-3 at work doesn’t have the windows re-size and move, but they require a monitor power cycle sometimes and far from perfect, and cost WAY more- so I’m routing for a win10 or Nvidia hack to change this characteristic.

On quadros for sure you can do it such that it isn’t removed.
It’s manual injection of edid.

A lot of early dp monitors report they are unplugged when they go to sleep too so there are a lot of work around because of that.

So I do not have the menu in Nvidia control panel as its not a quadro- boo.

The persistent windows (app?) here: http://www.ninjacrab.com/persistent-windows/ seems to do the trick. I wish I understood how it worked (maybe a level1’er can break it down/explain it).

@wendell a small update. I just got my hands on this adapter:

This one is listed as being compatible with the MacBook Pro 2017, but unfortunately the problem persists.

I should also mention that I have tried an SMC reset and NVRAM reset as well without any luck

@wendell, got the displayport to HDMI adapter in for console out to the second screen-

The monitor says no input detected- but the Nvidia control panel and windows sees the monitor. For a sanity check on the adapter, GPU and cables I un-plugged the second monitor console output using the adapter from KVM and ran it strait from the GPU and the second display works.

Maybe another brand would be better? Or maybe displayport to DVI? Or am I going about this all wrong?

So I tried a Dell Displayport to DVI adapter, still no joy.

Nvidia control panel can see the second monitor, lists it as Asus VH236H, but the monitor says there is no input. This is with both the DP to HDMI, DP to VDI, and for fun I even daisy chained and went DP to VDI to HDMI to VGA (combo sandwich of adapters) and control panel still shows Asus VH236H, but no display/no input according to the monitor.

Still working on it. I found one vga to dp adapter that will work. Hdmi to dp is another matter entirely. And dvi is possible if I sort out hdmi…