The Level1Techs KVM (Keyboard, Video Mouse) Switch - 4k/60hz monitor & USB Switchbox | Level One Techs

Yep.

Not sure about this one, some people are reporting it working, some not.

Some people have reported (I can’t confirm) issues with higher bandwidths. Not sure if you’ll run into an issue.

I’m actually looking at buying a similar display. If you wind up getting a KVM, can you report your findings?

absolutely, I can do that… I guess I’ll take my chances with the gsync. Appreciate the info.

1 Like

Not sure if any of ya have tried these cables to help alleviate some of the cable issues. But I had issues on my samsung monitors(not using the KVM) and just wanted to see if this cable may help some of you guys.

1 Like

Has anyone here attempted to solve the deficiencies of DP hot plug detection with a hardware adapter? Currently, the KVM isn’t of much use to me because I have to put my laptop to sleep every time I switch to it just to get the monitors to detect. I think a complicating factor is the laptop uses discrete graphics when an external display is attached and switches to iGPU when no external displays are detected. So, switching away to another output port on the KVM causes the hybrid graphics to toggle as well.

Anyway, I came across http://paleblew.blogspot.com/p/engdphpdma.html and am considering giving that a shot. Getting eight of them is going to be about 50% of the price of the switch, so I’m not wild about it. But I haven’t seen a better option come up. If someone does have a better option, please share :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have one if anyone wants to buy. PM me. Never used.

Welcome to the forum.

If you want to sell something here your best bet is to make a thread in the B/S/T category. Note that the B/S/T has additional rules to help ensure all parties don’t have a poor experience.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks.

Hi,

In anticipation of the next batch of dual monitor KVMs being available in a month or two, I was hoping someone could help answer a very basic ‘how do I use a KVM’ question for me.

My set-up is as follows:

I have a work provided Surface Pro with USB 3 and a mini DisplayPort connections. I also have a home desktop with a GeForce GTX 750TI card with a mini-HDMI and two DVI connections.

I’d like to run a dual display setup (currently I have one monitor connected to the desktop). I’d like the KVM to allow me to:

1. Switch between computer A running extended desktop and Computer B
    running extended desktop
  2. Switch between computer A running extended desktop to Computer A using Display A and Computer B using Display B

It is this second use case (and the various permutations) that I am unclear about. Does a KVM provide this level of control? Any solutions to this?

Also, assuming I get the correct mini-HDMI, DVI and mini-Displayport adapters and I buy two monitors that have displayport, is there any reason why the Level1 KVM would not work with my setup?

Thanks for the help!

I have a couple of questions about the DisplayPort KVMs which are causing me to hold off on pulling the trigger… It’d be awesome if someone who has used one could fill me in!

Can the USB HIDs be switched independently of the displays? e.g. displays on host 3, USB HID on host 1? It’s a feature of the Aten CS1944DP which I think I’d use a fair amount, and it would be a shame if it were missing from the Level1 KVM.

Likewise, can the audio be switched independently?

Thinking about it, being able to read a PDF copy of the manual would probably answer all my questions. Is there one freely available for download?

No.

Yes.

There isn’t really a manual. Somewhere in this thread, I covered most of the keyboard commands, which pretty much covered the gamut of it’s capabilities.

2 Likes

My dual monitor KVM switch arrived. Happy to report everything is working great!

To recap on my current hardware

• Primary Monitor - Asus Swift PG348Q 34" 3440 x 1440, 100 Hz - Gsync
  • Second Monitor - LG 32UD60-B 4K 60Hz
  • GTX 1080Ti
  • Mayflower Objective2 and ODAC amp

Nvidia Control Panel showing Asus monitor “G-Sync Capable” at 100Hz. Win10 also shows in the side panel notification that a G-sync monitor is connected.

Per @sanfordvdev post. Ordered the Club3D DP 1.4 cables. Pair of 1m(3.28ft) and 2m(6.56ft). Total length from PC to monitor 3m

2 Likes

I worked so hard on these. it’s nice to know I fixed something. :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi everyone - new to the forums, so please forgive me for any formatting errors.

I’m looking into getting the 2-monitor KVM switch. The first monitor is a Dell S2716DGR. It’s a 144Hz, 1440p G-SYNC display. The second is just a 1080p 60Hz from Acer I’ve had for awhile, I can get the model number if necessary. I would also be connecting a keyboard, mouse, and a USB headset.

The first computer is my desktop, with a hybrid 1080 Ti as the video adapter running Windows 10, I can pass along more info if needed. The second is my work laptop. It’s a Dell Latitude, and it comes with Dell’s E-port plus advanced dock. Here’s a link to the dock on Amazon.

The dock has two DP 1.2 ports, that would be going into the KVM switch. It has USB-3.0 Type A as well. From the pictures on the store website it looks that the KVM switch uses USB 3.0 Type-B. Would I be able to use a USB 3.0 Type B to Type A cable just fine then?

Assuming I use good quality DP cables, as that seems to be the biggest problem reported, do any of you foresee any bandwidth bottle-necking? Do you think the dock may be an issue at all?

@wendell sent you an email as well - just got the dual dp kvm in and working great with my dual Asus PG348qs & Razer blade but I can’t get anything out of a new 2018 mac mini. I’ve tried club3d USBc to DP cables, kanex USBc to DP adapters, using all your cables everywhere needed. Tried different ports on the kvm, power cycling everything many times. Connecting directly to the monitors works great with the mac mini but through the KVM I can’t get anything more than an initial boot logo that goes away and the monitor loses signal. Thanks for all the help and assistance.

On the Mac mini can you try lowering the resolution before connecting the adapter? I can look up some known good adapters for you when back to the office. The problem is a lot of adapters don’t provide a clean enough signal to push it all the way through the KVM. No amplifiers in the KVM… I am almost certainly since you see the Apple logo it’s just a matter of finding the right adapter. Probably should sell some on the L1 store lololol.

The usbc KVM can be used with the Mac mini as well. One user reported success with an hdmi to dp active adapter

I have a Mac mini at the office with a working adapter will post about it when I get back to the office

Well I’ve now tried and returned 3 sets of adapters - club3d (usb-c -> DisplayPort cables), kanex(usb-c -> DisplayPort adapter), and j5create (usb-c -> DisplayPort adapter). I went so far as to use a Razer Core X egpu with Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 (usb-c -> 2 DisplayPort out of the video card). Ive power cycled everything multiple times. I have nothing extra plugged in anywhere. I’m using all level1tech DisplayPort cables. I even reinstalled macOSX Mojave’s 10.14.5. Nothing out of the 2018 Mac mini works through the kvm. The Mac acts like it can’t see any monitors through the kvm. When plugged in directly they come to life almost instantaneously and work great. I was sure the eGPU would resolve any signal strength issues but I’ll be honest in knowing very little about edid overall and it doesn’t seem so. Mac sees the video card but no monitors off it when plugged into the kvm.

So I’m at a loss. Thoughts? Help?

edit: ended up pulling all cables and putting back my old kvm for now so I can get back to grad school work for a couple days. I now have:
Razer Blade 15 USB-c -> Dell TB16 DisplayPort / Mini DP(Club3d Adapter) -> both PG348Q DisplayPort (3440x1440 60hz)
2018 Mac Mini USB-c -> Razer Core X / Sapphire Vega 64 HDMI -> both PG348Q HDMI port (3440x1440 50hz)
MS/KB -> old Iogear KVM -> Mac & Razer

My last thought was to use the HDMI out on the Vega 64 and try the active HDMI -> DP adapters you mentioned. Seems I’m only get 50hz out of the HDMI so that kinda stinks but that could be a different issue to track down. Everything other than that has been working smoothly since hooking it all up directly again.

the egpu being problematic really makes zero sense. I have a startech adapter with a 2018 mac mini and that’s about the only usbc adapter I’ve found that works ok. intel nucs do work fine with the club 3d adapter but not macs, go figure.

the native usbc kvm will probably work better, except its not dual display, but Im working on a thing to stack KVMs so you could get two USBc KVMs and just stack them for swapping two displays between two systems. This would work great with 2000 series cards with native usbc… and the mac mini…

So the dell/razerblade tb setup works great, via dp, but just jnot the mac mini via usbc to dp?

Also you are the second person to report an issue with the 2018 mac mini. I have the i3 version a1993. Wants the exact model you have? I might pick up another on eBay because the igpu in the i3 is slightly different than the i5/7 mayelbe? (It was on surface books anyway)

1 Like

I’ve got an EGPU and it’s working just fine on my 2x4 kvm.

Hi there, new to the forum. I have a quick question about the DP KVM. I assume there’s a power cable with a US plug included. I live in Europe (Germany specifically) and am unsure about the kind of adapter I’d need to be able to use it. Any thoughts or advice on what I should pay attention to for that? Would really appreciate it.

@wendell Sent an email about this but I’ll ask here too. Just recently received the single monitor display port version and I’m trying to connect my 2015 Macbook Pro to my monitor, but the monitor won’t recognize it has a computer connected to it when I go through the KVM (my computer thinks it is connected though).

Macbook Pro -> mini display port to display port cable -> monitor works great. When I throw the KVM into the middle, it no longer works.

I’ve tried various cables of different lengths and quality. I’ve also tried power cycling everything and trying the different ports. No luck.

My PC works just fine when going through the KVM, it’s just my Mac that has issues.

Any ideas?