The Leader in Silicon Manufacturing Wins Again: NVIDIA Buys Arm

It served its purpose to push physics calculations on to GPUs. Payed off massively for their professional offerings.

The shield is doing fine on the TV side and basically the only thing driving Andriod TV forward. Andriod tablets in general are dead, Google shifted focus to ChromeOS on tablet.

Nintendo Switch is an abject failure and didn’t sale at all. :roll_eyes:

OK… We shall see… Time will tell… I said my opinion.

The problem is the way the RT cores by Nvidias own words are best leveraged via their OptiX API, which is off course used by GameWorks (the wonderful package that never was bad for performance).

So best case, Microsoft helps to get games to use the DX12 way to do Raytracing and Nvidia optimizes for that.

With the history, Nvidia, Sony and Microsoft will all do a silly fight and performance will be shit and adoption will be similar to VR.

I think we should take this to PM.

1 Like

I’m not convinced this is turning out well for the SBC market in the long run.

But maybe I’m also just overreacting because now that it has been a while since Facebook purchased Oculus, they change their entire lineup, strategy and interacting with the software store.

1 Like

It is going to be interesting.

I would not be opposed to Power based SBCs, however all the existing software would be not far from worthless.

1 Like

Yeah we’re getting off topic. Nvidia is not known for being open so I’d rather not see them own ARM. Nvidia has also been investing into RISC-V, but chances are now they’ll just use ARM instead.

2 Likes

This is a pretty big concern at the moment. The Competition and Markets Authority may be pulled in to make sure ARM’s HQ remains in the UK for the foreseeable future.

Comparing the ARM acquisition to this is a bit silly.

No? Also how are these comparable?

It’s doing very well in the switch, with this acquisition I expect modern and awesome mobile chips from Nvidia

Nope, the shield tv is selling like hot cakes. It’s one of the best media devices out there.

Eh no. Nvidia is ahead of the game in ray tracing hardware.

The ARM licenses held by various companies like apple and Qualcomm are still valid.

I get that you don’t like Nvidia, but all I’m seeing is a huge bias in these concerns.

4 Likes

Well Nvidia bought it, didn’t they?

Well it’s Nvidia thing, that is actually a great technology and Nvidia is slowly killing it with their attitude.

Where else? It has 1 use… Gsync is also doing great in the 5 monitors that have it. 1 good product uses it. That’s all Tegra have for itself.

At the moment. They were ahead with Gsync as well… They were ahead with physics calculations, they were ahead with so many things and they are now not ahead in any because of their attitude.

This is what I am trying to point out. Nvidia will use their attitute the same way they have done before and will slowly kill ARM. I hope I am wrong, but this is what I am seeing from Nvidia. Who uses Shadowplay anymore? Locked down behind registration forms and what not, while alternatives are free 1 click away… That is my point.

It’s not about liking and not liking. The pattern is Nvidia buys or creates something great and then slowly kills it.

But what happened to that 400$ or something handheld console? Everyone said it was amazng technology…

I do not doubt Nvidia will create some amazing technology with ARM. Everything that Nvidia killed or is slowly killing is amazing technology.

YES. I said it in the beginning. This is my opinion.

This is how I see the things. I’m sorry, it’s just how I think the entire thing will go. Nvidia will mess with arm and Mediatech or whoever will pick up the torch and will slowly and painfully kill what ARM is until ARM is no more and everything is Nvidia…

I’m excited to see Nvidia get into CPUs finally… Just as apple begins to shift away from x86 entirely.

Like I said in the other thread; Yeah pretty nuts, make Arm Cores to interface directly with GPUs and connect the whole lot together with Mellanox Infiniband.

I would would love to see the result of really tight integration between them, the machine could be crazy in just scale if they can cut out a lot of middle ground and combine the hardware.

Edit:

They figure the same but say it differently
/edit:

Serioisly, what was tegra?

Complete, possible nonsense theory, I could have it all wrong and be talking crap, but nVidia now have a company outside the U.S. that itsslef has a branch in Hong Kong though they are fight a bit. This surely gets around entity lists and restrictions some how right?

I am relieved Nvidia bought ARM over them. Nvidia actually documents.

3 Likes

because it was an Andriod tablet. Google has basically abandoned it in favor of Chrome Tablets and 2 in 1s

Yeah like they did for British Steel, JLR, and Cadbury… I am sure there will be a lot of huffing and puffing from various back benchers but if Boris and Scummings see a way to secure their vaulted trade agreement by rolling over on the sale of the IP without the “keep it independent” constraints or worse still actively push for a break up, that would be curtains for friends of mine who work in Cambridge.

Now if there were to be a reverse merger, with Nvidia bundling IP into ARM and opening up licensing on some of their networking stuff recently acquired, that may be an interesting outcome. Can’t see NVidia moving to the UK though.

1 Like

Tegra is cool, but hasnt really seen market adoption outside of a few niche sectors like tesla and nintendo. Sad really since they’re pretty cool chips. Its the itanium of nvidia. ARM already has widespread market adoption and I think Nvidia sees the tides shifting. They want to get on board before the waves crash.

1 Like

Don’t ARM own the design for Adreno Mobile GPUs?

nah, thats qualcomm

Ah okay, that would have been funny.

whats really funny is adreno is an anagram of radeon

and its intentional

2 Likes

Yeah because they helped make them, or were the original creators. Just would have ebeen funny from an nVidia would own what was once part of AMD.