The Leader in Silicon Manufacturing Wins Again: NVIDIA Buys Arm

Bastions of hope, engineering, innovation, benevolence, and leadership: NVIDIA does it again.

The graphics processing unit manufacturer is acquiring ARM and getting its “in” into mobile technology.

Hopefully that means we can have a :jensen: GPU and :jensen: CPU within the next few years.

This is a huge win, fellow L1T members. Celebration is in order :tada:

4 Likes

Can’t wait for BFCPU

2 Likes

For those of us who live in the UK and were proud of the success that arm has had for more than 30 years in driving competition through their open licensing designs, this is not a day to celebrate.

The SoftBank acquisition was bad enough but the terms of the Nvidia buyout will not prevent wholesale asset stripping of the company, IP blocking on competition and an agressive round of relicensing.

4 Likes

Remeber this?
https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-buys-3dfx
Beginning of the end…

1 Like

Pls help I cant into sarcasm.

In any case, most vendors have perpetual licenses are should not be threatened by the big green eye of envy.

1 Like

I bet Apple is thrilled about this.

1 Like

They have a permanent license along Qualcomn, Samsung and others. I would be more worried about smaller vendors like Broadcom. Raspberry Pis might be the ones in danger.

1 Like

How is Nvidia the leader in silicon manufacturing? Wouldnt that be TSMC? Nvidia doesnt even own a fab to manufacture silicon

2 Likes

I guess this could speed up the adoption of RISC-V with these smaller vendors.

1 Like

Done deal.

Not sure what this will mean for ARM in the future, but possibly good things?

1 Like

Love the title: the leader in silicone manufacturing… What have TSMC done again?

No it’s not… At all ahahaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

How come?

Gsync on mobile :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Now that would be sweet.

1 Like

How is this a win? Getting ARM in the … ARMS (get it) … of a notoriously locked garden approach company is not a good thing…

I will say the same thing I said before - Nvidia have killed pretty much everything they have touched other than GPUs…
PhysX - ded…
Gsync is following close…
ShadowPlay is pretty much ded…
Tegra is dragging face down on the ground…
Shield and all the other side projects - pretty ded…
RTX is closely behind. When the generic DX12 ray tracing starts getting used the proprietary RTX will go the same route as the proprietary Gsync and the proprietary PhysX and all the rest.

So no, having ARM in the hands of Nvidia does not look like a huge win at all to me.

I could be wrong, but I really don’t see Nvidia not messing with ARM and ruining it.

2 Likes

Especially when XboXseX and DX12 use the same ray tracing (which I am pretty sure Microsoft and AMD will do)

2 Likes

Even RTX uses DX12 ray tracing… Battlefield 5 RTX update literally had to wait on Microsoft to update DX12 with the ray tracing update so they can turn RTX on…

Yes, Xbox uses literally DirectX12…

To be fair, I am not worried about what Nvidia will do with ARM when it comes to new stuff… I am worried about how Nvidia will mess with the current stuff ARM does…

1 Like

Y’all do realize that there is no such thing as “proprietary ray tracing”. All games use directx/vulkan/opengl for ray tracing. Nvidia just calls their implementation RTX.

And guess who’s developing the open standard extensions for opengl & vulkan to support ray tracing? Yep, nvidia.

I’m the first to critisize nvidia when they do something proprietary but this is just plain ridiculous.

4 Likes

You do know there is a proprietary algorithm being calculated by proprietary hardware? Yes, you can throw the algorithm at any hardware, but it’s not DX ray tracing. It is different.

1 Like

By that logic rasterization is also proprietary. I don’t see anybody complain about that

1 Like