The Knights of Python Ep: 2.0 - OpenCV The Introduction

After a few months on hiatus ( I warned you this would happen ) I have come across some members wanting some OpenCV tutorials. With respect to all who are interested this will be an introduction with tutorials to follow in the coming days ( about every 2 days with interest from the community) and a sincere apology for the delay since I started a Noobs of Python and an Intro to an intermediate/advanced Knight of Python series. All is good now so lets get started !

Q: What is OpenCV? :
A: OpenCV (Open Source Computer Vision) is a library of programming functions mainly aimed at real-time computer vision. Originally developed by Intel's research center in Nizhny Novgorod (Russia), it was later supported by Willow Garage and is now maintained by Itseez. The library is cross-platform and free for use under the open-source BSD license.

OpenCV is a native, cross-platform C++ library for computer vision, machine learning,
and image processing. It is increasingly being adopted in Python for development.
OpenCV has C++/C, Python, and Java interfaces, with support for Windows, Linux,
Mac, iOS, and Android. Developers who use OpenCV build applications to process
visual data; this can include live streaming data such as photographs or videos from
a device such as a camera. However, as developers move beyond their first computer
vision applications, they might find it difficult to come up with solutions that are well-
optimized, robust, and scalable for real-world scenarios.

Q: WOW ! Computer vision ?! Image Processing ! Machine Learning !!!
A: Yup, Big League stuff so pay attention and contribute to this and following threads, This will be ( as other tutorial threads ' COMMUNITY HEAVY CONTENT' , I can't do it all myself and also your inquisitive minds should be curious about this tech and it's possibilities.

Q: You're a hacker, so will you teach us how to use this to crack Android cameras and images on peoples phones and put them up against a database somewhere on the web?????
A: Pace yourself, That tutorial is coming eventually... Or something of that nature (smh)

Q: What will you cover here then? This is the 'Knights Of Python' ?
A: The intro is the beginning of the conversation, I want to hear from the community what we should cover first, hopefully in the next couple of days we can gauge where this thread will go and start to develop a series of intermediate to advanced projects using OpenCV and Python, and teach you how to apply your theoretical knowledge to topics such as image manipulation, augmented reality, object tracking, 3D scene reconstruction, statistical learning, and object categorization. So let's start the conversation !

Q: So what will I need to start???
A: OpenCV 2.4.9 or later, Python 2.7 or later, NumPy 1.9.2 or later, wxPython 2.8 or later, SciPy 0.16.0 or later, matplotlib 1.4.3 or later, libfreenect 0.5.2 or later ( if we get into using a Microsoft Kinect or etc )

note: I won't go over the installation process of these since you are a Knight of Python, If you are a Noob of Python looking for a challenge and have trouble, post your comment or send me a DM here, I'm easily reached and community members are friendly !

My Question to you community members : Interested? Show us in the comment section, this is an extensive topic with many branches of it, where do you want to start? Do you have a project you are currently working on? Need Help? Are you a beginner or a casual interested in learning?

I hope this starts the conversation and get's feedback.

Code On Code_Warriors !!!

1 Like

From the beginning

I love this, I have no knowledge of this but would like to learn.

also the forum need of this kind of thing!

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, Are you new to Python? Have experience? I have several tutorials for beginners and an intermediate one in case you didn't know. This is an extensive topic and will dedicate the next coming weeks to it since the project will entail many threads for it.

I have taken a online intro course on it a year ago lol

So not really

no problem with that. Ask all the questions you want. I spend a ton of time here even when I don't post.

I love this and I really want to do this. I'm a noob at python but when I get my new laptop I will probably run linux 24/7 and make some shell scripts. O

One Idea for this is to make a raspberry pi magic mirror with Alexa or some open source assistant and have facial recognition when you ask "Mirror, Mirror on the wall who's the finest of them all."

1 Like

If you are a Noob, maybe check out the Noobs of Python Series here on the forum. Post questions and code snippets if you like. We encourage involvement !

1 Like

Ayy I made something happen!

1 Like

hope to see you contribute then !

I asked because I wanted to learn, I'll participate, but I might not be able to contribute top-down as such. my core competency is with Lua/Torch7

1 Like

cool. Participation/contribution is encouraged ! I actually started the thread because I thought it was a good idea for the next 'Knight of Python' series, and it all spawned from a comment you posted !

If I can get Opencv/Gmic to automate like ffmpeg, I'll be a happy camper.

1 Like