The Itanic is about to hit the Ocean Floor

I've never even head of Itanium :thinking:

1 Like

I had heard of Itanium being the next amazing thing, but then I never heard of it again until today.

I just read the wiki page. HP and Intel worked together on it but had trouble getting it to meet the performance targets, so no one wrote any software for it, then the AMD Opteron blew it out of the water because it was easier to migrate servers from x86 to AMD 64 bit than to Itanium x64.

3 Likes

Thanks that explains everything.

I thought this was about an undersea supercomputer.

I am disappointed now.

Not only AMD, but PPC based servers were exoplanet distances away in performance and cheaper to acquire than itanium.

In my opinion, this is a blessing. In high school when I worked as the on site IT guy, I had to work, constantly, on 3 HP Itanium machines. They were absolute garbage. As soon as one problem is fixed with audio, bios is broken, needs an update, oop drive died from voltage problems, replace these things, oh now you have to reinstall the system but you HAVE TO HAVE the correct disk or it WILL NOT BOOT, oh you wanted your hardware to be detected? Rome wasn't built in a day.

Itanium from the beginning has been senile and has had parkinsons. Whoever came up with it needs to be shot and drug through the streets.

1 Like