The Grand Reformat

Theres reasons I try really hard to not let people get to me. That ram chip mas an example.

I’v been known to blow up a laptop or two with half a pound of M80’s because I was pissed at it.

1 Like

Can’t say I would not enjoy that too. There is some hardware I have wanted to destroy violently.

Wasn’t for fun, purely out of a wanton for death.

1 Like

1 Like

Thats not violent enough :stuck_out_tongue:but yes similar angur

Ok so I’ve been hammering away at learning how to configure my switch over telnet today. This is the general configuration that I have decided to use.

Config fixup courtesy of DeusQain below

conf t
ip default-gateway 10.11.0.1
!
banner motd (
suck my dick maloney (
!
enable secret XXXXX
!
line console 0
password XXXXX
no login
!
line vty 0 15
password XXXXX
login
!
interface vlan 1 
ip address 10.11.0.x 255.255.255.0 
no shutdown
!
int range fa1/0/1 - 48
no shutdown
end
write
```

For the record, yes I know I disabled the console port. I probably will never use it and I’m probably only configuring this once, or at least until I move.

From what I collect from a guy who barely knew what he was doing, bouncing questions that I had gathered off on @THEkitchenSINK, and cisco’s documentation, this is what I came up with. I pretty much just wanted it to configure itself and auto-set everything like the little d-link switches I have. I haven’t tested it yet completely though, putting it in now actually.

Wish me luck.

Edit: The thought is occurring to me right now, if I have port 48 configured on the vlan it won’t let me have a net in line. So that has to go to port 47 instead of 48. Then port 48 will go to the default vlan or otherwise be unassigned, maybe I can change the default? (I honestly have not even looked that up I should probably do that real quick) and delete the primary… Then at least theres one empty port for an internet in, like on a router.

Or do I need to do that at all? Originally when I tried my switch out with just my xbox it auto config’d…

Nah I’ll leave the vlan stuff as is, change defaults but not delete anything, and have 47 ports on vlan 2 and port 48 on vlan 1. Then I think it’ll autoswitch, and if it doesn’t its a matter of setting up a switchport connection. Maybe I’ll investigate that while I’m setting it up…

Edit 2: If you search switchport on bing it brings you to “what is a vlan?”

:expressionless:

thanks ms… I never knew?

Edit 3: Reading some of teh intervlan stuff. Seems more for like if you had 2 labs and they were on their own networks but needed to still communicate between certain machines? Seems more for like specific specific stuff. Maybe I won’t touch that quite yet, though I can’t see a reason not to?

Edit 4: Mmmm. Seems like theres a few ways to do the gateway stuff to. You can do a direct pipe route between IP tables on the switch. So if a request were to go to vlan2 I could have it send that request directly to the ip of the router, though then I assume they think I’d have a specific router config, and I don’t. My router is some netgear pile of crap that I got for 20 bucks because wireless AC is that cheap to get around here.

Doesn’t seem needed, so I don’t really need to worry about it, but its interesting at the very least.

Edit 5: Yee nah, I’ll leave intervlan stuff alone. I don’t have a super router or anything like that. At least not yet. Though this does answer some questions I had about configuring pfsense as a general router now.

Edit 6: new issue. Set my ports on switchport and now I can’t access the switch.

Uhhhhhhhhh

lets try port 48?

Edit 7: Accessible on port 48. Hmm. Wonder if it becomes 10.11.13.1 on vlan 2 thru port 1 in order to access the panel again… Either way this should work.

EDit 8: I also want to note that this is set up for doing it once over telnet. If you had the console cable you could write to the startup config as you go. No real reason to do that on my end though as doing it through express setup mode you only get one shot as far as I can tell. At least my unit resets completely before allowing you back in express mode.

Edit 9: Do I get better switch performance if I update the TIM on the chips? Its gotta be dry… Or would the heatsinks be soldered in this thing?

1 Like

@sycpuppy whatchu typin brud

Was going to say I bought a WS-C3750-48TS-E back in 2017, it convinced me to just learn how to make my own using FreeBSD but I didn’t post since it didn’t seem helpful to your situation.

1 Like

I encourage you to make a post on that project. But, the info is good nonetheless.

1 Like

Waiting to see if my xbox connects back to youtube. Its not looking good though.

Yeah its not connecting I did something wrong.

Fuck.

@2bitmarksman help!

I have no internet connection… But the vlan was done properly!!!

Thinking I need to set port 48 to only recieve, then set intervlan connections up. Still waiting for a response on that though, open to suggestions of other routing methods to try. I don’t want to have to set up a pfsense router this early in the game but if thats what I gotta do to get my switch up and running I’m totally for it.

At least more than 2 port lights are on though. I’m happy about that at least. Means the most of my config is probably correct, theres just something missing. Guessing the vlans just can’t auto-connect. Wonder if thats an iOS 15 feature…

Oh fuck what am I even doing I have @DeusQain on hotline on my discord I’ll just ask him.

1 Like

Looks like your vlan2 is sitting on a different subnet than your gateway. Is this intentional?

No. How do I set a subnet? Atd do I need to look at intervlan communications or not?

After figuring this out I will fix my posted configuration so that others can use it as a reference later.

I’ve been at this since aboutb2pm I’m gunna call it good for today and work on this more tomorrow.

May be misremembering, but I believe some of the older switches want an explicit switchport access vlan 0 or switchport access vlan 1 depending on what the switch thinks the untagged vlan is to put on your general access switch. You may also need a vlan definition for the untagged vlan (as odd as that sounds) so that when vlans need to go to a different subnet/vlan, it has the ability to (You’ve made a doorway for vlan 2, but have none for untagged yet as far as the switch is concerned)

Try setting 2 clients/devices on 2 ports, with 2 different vlans. The path would be Client A -> Vlan A’s gateway -> Vlan B’s gateway -> Client B. Ping along the way, if you can go to everything, then vlan switching between them is working. If you can do that but cannot exit the switch, then it could be a case of no default route being present. Defining a port with no vlan tag and an IP address, and then having a route of 0.0.0.0/0 to go to it should send unknown traffic that way. That port should be connected to some router on the same subnet

Accolding to qain if I just have the default vlan and set all the ports to no shutdown it’ll probably just work. I’ll try your suggestion + research tomorrow tho

The way @FaunCB set up the switch in his config above, he specifically set ports 1-47 to accept untagged traffic and assign that traffic to VLAN2.
On Port 48, because he didn’t make any config changes, is automatically assigned to VLAN1, all untagged traffic entering port 48 gets tagged as VLAN1 as it enters the switch.

He assigned an IP to INT VLAN2 that is out of scope and on a different IP Subnet than the specified gateway. So the Switch’s VLAN2 interface won’t be able to talk to anything that isn’t on that subnet. Then he connected his Router/Firewall to Port 48. Which being on VLAN1, The switch will treat it like it’s on a physically separate switch from the other 47 ports.

None of the devices that are connected to the switch will be able to get DHCP from the Router/Gateway because the switch, again, treats them like they are on separate switches, and not because he assigned the VLAN2 interface to a separate IP network.

The most appropriate way to connect everything in a minimal configuration setup. Is to log into the switch, issue a “no shut” across all the ports, and you then have a fully active switch that will behave like an un-managed switch. If you also want access to the switch over the network your config may look like this.

conf t
ip default-gateway 10.11.0.1
!
banner motd (
suck my dick maloney (
!
enable secret XXXXX
!
line console 0
password XXXXX
no login
!
line vty 0 15
password XXXXX
login
!
interface vlan 1 
ip address 10.11.0.x 255.255.255.0 
no shutdown
!
int range fa1/0/1 - 48
no shutdown
end
write

Where x=whatever IP you decide you want the switch to be.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

If he assigns int vlan 1 with an IP address, wouldn’t traffic then be able to be routed between vlan 1 and vlan 2 though? As you say, at that point the 2 virtual switches have a method of finding what address belong to which.

They won’t do any of that by default.

If you have int VLAN1 and int VLAN2 both with IPs that just means they both can be reached by their IP networks.

You have to activate the routing elements before it will start routing traffic.

A device on VLAN2 on 10.11.13.0/24 can’t just connect through to 10.11.0.0/24 on VLAN1 without the switch having routing enabled.

which is an entirely different can of worms.

Ahhh ok. I’ve only worked with Layer 3 managed switches, so that’s why I asked. From what you’re telling me this is layer 2 managed, which wouldn’t do that by default