The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU)

I dont know what to write, these people write too much, so, pictures :raised_hand:t2:
Make your own conclusions about some of these companies being unwilling to delete data

2 Likes

My 1 second conclusion. They never really held data particularly well in the first place and cant be bothered to try now.

7 Likes

Figured its better to just take screenshots from the expert guy, rather than try to TL;DR pages and pages of text

I can’t honestly say I’m all that bothered. If they are so concerned about the GDPR, chances are that I wouldn’t have wanted to use these services in the first place.

3 Likes

Ah, I see…
“We treat customer data so well, we rather not get into legal trouble with the EU”

¯\(ツ)

3 Likes

Though to be fair getting compliant is quite some work in that case and it may just not be cost effective to do it. They still need some RoI.

That being said I agree most of those sound like excuses blaming the GDPR.

This regulation only applies to the member states. So those companies above could still operate in Norway, Switzerland, Ukraine and few others.

1 Like

Them backing out before the regulation raises a warning.

And they can still operate in the EU, just have to comply with the law.

1 Like

That’s wrong. It basically applies to any business storing or processing personal data belonging to people residing in EU/EEA.

Also, Norway is in EEA, so GDPR will also take effect for Norway.

After reading what is truly asked to company, it’s not crazy. I mean anyone who care about security and didn’t planed to mislead consumers bin order to sell data would have thing prety close to this already.

Not only that, but the fines etc are not for companies that make a mistake or forget something. They are only for repeat offenders, basically those companies that simply don’t want to comply after being told what they are doing wrong and how to fix it. It’s not like there will be a massive witch hunt starting May 26th.

These companies’ legal departments are well aware of that, so them pulling out of the EU before the GDPR kicks in means they have no interest in complying with the law because not being able to abuse your data would hurt their bottom line.
That alone should make anyone suspicious of these companies.

5 Likes