The Gatekeeper (overkill pfSense xeon shoebox with integrated DSL-modem)

What packages are folks running in pfSense at this point?

Right now I am actually just running snort and pfblockerng. Have to look through what else is there.
Would be a nice new topic, wanna open that up?

Added the new topic to the forum.

1 Like

bump.

Very clean overkill build! Have you added any new packages to the mix? How is it running?

Question @noenken:
How future-proof is that NIC in combination with the glacial speed of German broadband expansion?
I gather it supports 50Mbit VDSL, but what about 100?

Asking for a friend, because I can choose between 16Mbit ADSL or overbooked cable.

And how does that work? How does one make a pfsense box do DSL? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry for the OT but that made me lough good - and don't worry.. in the small alps republic our glaciers move faster than broadband is improved XD

Yeah, we are talking permafrost here my friend.

At this rate the PCB of that card will probably become dust before we get speeds exceeding the limitations of it. 100MBit/s is what I am currently running and that is all I can get in Hamburg, one of the major cities in one of the richest countries in Europe. It is pathetic. At least my upload is 40MBit/s now and not 10 like it was before....

The card should be fine for at least 300MBit/s.

Well, the computer doesn't know what that card is, it only sees a realtek NIC. So pfsense uses that NIC as it always does. You give it the login for PPPOE to connect to a modem. But that whole thing, the fake NIC and the modem, is physically on the same PCB. So on the back of the card is a port where you just plugin your connection from the wall. It is a great design to reduce clutter to be honest and I haven't seen another device like this anywhere else. But I'm not a networking guy, I bet there is lots of those. If not it might be something for a video, @wendell ?

3 Likes

Okay, that sounds good.

Regarding your video idea: I got the impression that the US is mainly on cable and due to the shared-medium nature of it you cannot use your own device as modem.
Basically the same situation we had until last year.

I’m running it with 150Mb/s at current and it can consume it without an issue. Pushing it up shouldn’t be bad. I’m using a number of packages to handle security and monitoring so this is insanely helpful. Users love the caching in squid and the lack of AD’s on sites now. I’m also considering tossing in a quad port Intel gigabit NIC in the PCI slot to get some extra options on network isolation.

This version of the gatekeeper was actually so overpowered that I turned it down a notch for my rack version.