The fusion between movies and video games

Wow, just brainstorming about this blew my mind. There's 360 movies that allow you to look around the room from a perspective.

With VR this would be much more immersive and allow headtracking.

I would totally love to see movies take this perspective, where you can actually look around and see what you want to see, from the directors point in space, but this is just the beginning.

Imagine with this video, if you could walk around the house while this is happening. If you can go where you want to go and see what objects you want to see. Obviously this has to be limited in a way, to move along the story, and due to actual restrictions on what can be rendered and what's being recorded for the story.

But then we can take it a step further. Imagine if you could interact with people in the story. This would essentially turn it into a video game. If you could stop the killer from this video from choking this girl.

I can definitely see this happening in the future. Interactive movies. Where each time you play them, you can discover something new, as it's a world you can inhabit and do different things as the story plays out, or entirely change the story based on your actions.

Obviously this is decades away (or longer) from being a thing, but damn this makes me excited, and I want it now!

The kind of tech you are describing would be super cool for things like nat geo or other documentaries. Imagine walking around with animals that are low on the food chain and hearing every life-threatening twig snap and tiger growl. Or riding in the famous Trojan horse and getting a front row seat.

It would even be badass in a Disney movie. You could be Tinkerbell and fly around or something like that. Oh! oh! I could be the magic carpet! (Phew good save)

1 Like

Toy Story needs a DX12 version (or whatever api)

Performers could use motion capture suits to live stream into your home until camera technology catches up to dispense with the suits and lines and dots on the face

Walking down the street you will look more like Second Life (anyone remember that?)

Polygonal remakes of great movies would be great but the new technology will create something much better than any kind of entertainment preceding it and we'll look at current films the same as we do of Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat (too tired to correct my bad english sorry)

2 Likes

The only way I can see this happening is if instead of being filmed with a camera, everything would be filmed with a camera/ laser projector of sorts that intersect at points to sort of create a holographic projection image . Then everyone would have a standard 10x10 room for example with a conveyor/treadmill floor that doesn't have any resistance or force to it. This would totally work because instead of a 360 degree angle view of the room with current 360 videos, you could have depth and space captured by cameras, if they had the intersection of other cameras in its periphery .

All of the inconsistency can be patched up with cgi post production. I don't know if I'll ever be the age to experience this in my lifetime . People would just keep playing their own version of Star Wars lol.

Written on my phone, sorry if the paragraph is formatted bad :/

Maybe it could be filmed in with some kind of technology similar to echo location. It could wire frame the area and then traditional cameras with (relatively) nfc of some kind could scan the colors of things. This is all hypothetical. But everything starts that way right?

2 Likes

On the downside the technology is incredibly dangerous with regard to the initial increase of deaths due to walking onto bridges that aren't there installed by hackers leading to restrictions and banning in public ect and heart attacks caused by way too scary shit

2 Likes

Hell yeah! That would be more ideal and much less work. Hadn't thought about echo location or nfc. That seems feasible by todays standards. If someone threw like a billion dollars into this, it would be here within the next 30 years. Just the idea behind VR is so new that conceiving of this stuff will take time. :). It's basically right out of the Star Trek for us lol

Forget the capturing method for a moment, the processing power needed to capture a living breathing landscape in real time would be nuts! Speaking of which, what about wind? For a truly immersive experience you would need to recreate it without A/C noise. This order is getting taller by the minute.

The technology already exists for this. They talked about it on The Tek months ago. It's just not readily available yet.

Go on...

I really don't feel like looking for the video. Basically, it captures photons and you can look around wherever the light information was captured, not just whatever was in frame.

Also, I thought this thread was going to discuss the obviously blurring line between games and film.

Make it do your bidding. Ask away.

I feel like the term 'video game' should be used loosely. Certainly in the context of an interactive environment that you can explore in 3d space, is somewhat close to a video game, but not in the element of a challenge.

This isn't to say that they can't build games like this though, and use technology to create TRUE photo realistic games, which is why I think eventually film and games will merge. Not entirely, but in varying levels for certain types, but who's to say, since it's all speculation?

The thing that makes me excited, is using this not only for movies, but for experiencing historical events. Replaying memories and seeing them from different perspectives. This is essentially what I view Neo and Morpheus doing in the matrix, in the white room, except it doesn't generate things, it loads things from existence.

You're right though Rotary, the computing power necessary will be much greater than anything we have today, besides for maybe super computers. However, once we get to quantum computing, and certainly experimental technology, or stuff that hasn't existed yet, I'm certain that possibilities exist beyond our wildest conceptions.

Imagine if something to the likes of google glass can do this. Then we network it with everyone else. Couldn't we create a simulation for an entire new world with this technology? It sounds like super ambitious and science fiction and starts to cross into the realm of godlike powers.

We are already there. I can go to google maps, find a shortcut, walk the road in browser and read low clearance signs and basically see if it is a bad place for a truck.

The line between film and video games is nothing compared to books and movies. And depends on the author. John Varleys "Millennium" made a pretty good movie even with bad acting. Frank Herbert's Dune has yet to spawn a good movie. Allot depends on if the storyteller tells the story visually or mentally like Herbert.
Red Storm Rising would be a great movie but too expensive. WW2 movies were successful cause they already had the footage. After the first Iraq war someone (forget who) lamented that we just had the greatest tank battle in history and no one got it on film.
History channel already uses game engines in documentaries.
The "art" of storytelling is still tech independent and weather it is told on quad xeons or around a campfire requires "talent".
IMHO:)

wrt blurring...The Last Of Us was popular with the masses even though the game part of it is substandard at best, storytelling is more important than game mechanics, k? It's a boring mass-media subject that's been covered ad-nauseam taking elements in gaming and pointing out similarities with film and "oh look, the actors are in games now" that kind of noise

a form of entertainment similar to theatre would not have those drawbacks. A scene is set in an actual environment (AR not VR) and triggered by the viewers position like a video game.
The stage could be anywhere, Only the assets need to be rendered.
Doesn't take a supercomputer, just a more advanced kind of AR headset.

But do we have to see everything, all the time? Just as in life, you can miss something, but in the case for movies, you can rewind them. I think the freedom aspect would be a benefit.

I can imagine that people would put a scene on pause, explore everything that it has to offer, and then watch it play out.

I doubt people would do that before watching/experiencing the story. Everyone is there for the story first. It is only after the audience doesn't have to pay attention to the plot that they notice the little things...most of the time.